• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Confessions of a book sniffer

Wabbit

Hi :)

Whenever I get a new book I always crack it open and take a deep breath of the scent within the pages. I love that book smell of paper and ink. It's an even better scent when the book is old. The pages of the book seem to age like a wine, the scent is richer. Books smell great! Anybody else as odd as me and do this? lol

I wanted to ask: What other strange little habits or quirks do you all have regarding books? :)

Regards
Wabbit.

I do like the smell of new books, but my daughter is the real book-sniffer. She even like the musty smell of very old books.

So am I, I am real book sniffer especially new books. I sniff it with deep breath. I have other problem - take out my books of my bookshelf and look around and then take them back to my bookshelf!! Sound mad, is it? :D

I'm more of a stacker than a sniffer, although I have been known to sniff :eek:

My books are lined up in the bookshelf in a regimented fashion: tallest at either ends of the shelf and the little guys in the middle.
Anyone out of place receives a good rollicking. :mad:

Third Man Girl

Just say NO. I'll admit my temptation after reading your alluring descriptions but if I start out sniffing wont it lead to the harder stuff? What's next, smoking the end papers? Grinding up the spine & inserting it into my PB & J sandwich? You've got to draw a line somewhere! It's not too late people. If you must, lick your fingers after turning the page. That should get you through the night.

Bill

lol

I'm glad that it's not just me! RaVeN, give in, you know you want to!!! :D

I take books off my shelf also. I take them from the shelf and I read bits of them. I read parts of the book that I liked or just at random :)

Regards
Wabbit

Okay Wabbit, I'll 'fess up. I'm an ex-sniffer. Sure, I started with the cheap stuff. A few overstocks, remainders, publisher closeouts, and God forbid a Hardy Boys (I can't rember which one but I'd know him if I smelled him again). That's all it took. Before long I was hooked. I was sniffing 3,4 times a day. All I could think about was my next fix. I went right from romance novels to 1st eddition classics. It all most ruined my life. Then one day I was in the restroom of the public library and found a pamplit in one of the stalls for Authors Anonymous. I'm proud to say that AA made me the man I am today. It's not easy. I still shutter whenever a nor-easter blows over Barnes & Noble but today is the 1st day of the rest of my life (or some kind of crap like that).

Bill

MMMM, I love the way books smell. But the best one is the one I bought off ebay - from late 19th century, redolent of cigar smoke.

I love the way a good hardback feels, too.

I really don't like to read paperbacks, but the few that I have always have a stronger scent than hardbacks. Probably cheaper paper and ink!

Go to the library sometime and pick out the older cloth covered books. Sniffers heaven!

(my name was change to protect my innocence)

--Mack

Originally posted by froggerz40
NOTHING smells quite like a new National Geographic! Open, and appreciate that inky aroma! :D Dan-o

Oh yeah! lol

Magazines smell wonderful too! Plus, you get a higher ink hit with those! Magazines smell great but they do lack the romance of books though. Hmmm, I think I need to seek help! :D

Regards
Wabbit

Except sniffing ......... im not really gonna finish this comment am i :D (not without getting banned anyway!!)

Phil

Originally posted by phil_t
Except sniffing ......... im not really gonna finish this comment am i :D (not without getting banned anyway!!)

Phil

Oh, go on, finish it... I dare you! :D lol

Regards
Evil Wabbit

Sniffing the ..... clean crisp air of home?? (Not a good idea actually, i'd advise tourists against breathing at all in London!!)

Phil

Back