• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cormac McCarthy: All The Pretty Horses

Shmoove

I recently read the Road and No Country for Old Men and really liked McCarthy's writing style so I thought I would give his Border Trilogy a try. I thought this book was pretty good and was very unpredictable. Whenever I thought the story was going one way it didn't. I like that. The only thing I didn't like about it was towards the end when the girls mother whom he coveted went on and on about her life story. I really didn't care much about some minor characters life story. I really liked the Blevins character and was pretty bummed to see what happened to him. The book had a lot of sad things happen in it but I wouldn't really call it a sad story. I am going to try part two of the trilogy The Crossing, I hope it is as good. I give All the Pretty Horses 7 out of 10 horses.

I recently read the Road and No Country for Old Men and really liked McCarthy's writing style so I thought I would give his Border Trilogy a try. I thought this book was pretty good and was very unpredictable. Whenever I thought the story was going one way it didn't. I like that. The only thing I didn't like about it was towards the end when the girls mother whom he coveted went on and on about her life story. I really didn't care much about some minor characters life story. I really liked the Blevins character and was pretty bummed to see what happened to him. The book had a lot of sad things happen in it but I wouldn't really call it a sad story. I am going to try part two of the trilogy The Crossing, I hope it is as good. I give All the Pretty Horses 7 out of 10 horses.

try 'blood meridian'
many mccarthy fans consider it his best,tho i put it in second place behind 'the road'
i discovered him last sept and have read all his stuff except 'suttree',which i just got thru interlibray and will read this weekend

The Border Trilogy is great, but his masterpiece is Blood Meridian. The cowboy romance of All the Pretty Horses was a 180 degree change from the unrelenting violence and depravity of Blood Meridian. That's the novel that he should've won the Pulitzer for.

Suttree is his most comical novel and somewhat lighthearted novel. It's a fun read.

Cormac McCarthy has been one of my favorites since I read "All the Pretty Horses". I am usually not the person to enjoy these types of violent works, it's just something about the way that he writes that I adore. I just bought "No Country for Old Men" and I plan on reading that. Have you guys gone to see the movie? Does it give any justification to the book?

I just bought "No Country for Old Men" and I plan on reading that. Have you guys gone to see the movie? Does it give any justification to the book?

It was pretty similar to the book only a few things were changed such as... SPOILER...

In the book Chigurh ends up getting the money then hands it over to the guy who hired him but in the movie the Mexicans get it.

In the movie Moss's wife comes to the hotel when he is murdered but in the book Tommy Lee Jones character goes to her to tell her the bad news.

In the movie Moss never meets that girl he ends up traveling with in the book.

Also lots of boring dialog between Moss and cabdrivers is not in the movie for good reason.

I really liked the movie and Chigurh will most likely win an Oscar for his performance and the film will probably win Best Picture as well. If you enjoy a good movie then I would recommend actually seeing the movie before you read the book because I believe the movie is believe it or not better then the book. One strange thing I noticed about the movie was there wasn't any music in it at all. No soundtrack, no background music, nothing. It really gave you the feeling of being alone in the dry quiet border of the US and Mexico.

Back