• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cornelia Funke: Dragon Rider

ValkyrieRaven88

Has anyone else read Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke? I thought it was just plain awful...it bored me to tears, the characters' comments were inconsistent, and all of the characters seemed so brainless. A friend bought it for me, thinking I would like it because I like Chris Paolini, J.K. Rowling, Eoin Colfer, and Jonathan Stroud, but it was so terrible I only read about fifty pages before giving up. I flipped through some other Funke books, and they were just as bad. Why is she so popular?

I've read one book by her. It was quite a while ago, but I think it was called The Thief Lord (not sure). I can't remember any details, but I do remember that I didn't like it and it didn't make me want to read any more of her work.

Heh, I haven't heard of her until now. Is her target audience young kids (since you said she's similar to JK Rowling and Christopher Paolini)?

I read Inkheart and really enjoyed it...obviously.:rolleyes:

I went out and bought The Dragon Rider but I find it extremely boring. I can't really get into it. I'm disappointed because I enjoyed Inkheart so much.

Anamnesis said:
Heh, I haven't heard of her until now. Is her target audience young kids (since you said she's similar to JK Rowling and Christopher Paolini)?

Yeah, older children/young adults I'd say. Even though I disliked The Thief Lord, I actually have Inkheart on my TBR pile!

Inkheart said:
I read Inkheart and really enjoyed it...obviously.:rolleyes:

I went out and bought The Dragon Rider but I find it extremely boring. I can't really get into it. I'm disappointed because I enjoyed Inkheart so much.
I flipped through Inkheart. Although I love the title, because it's a cool combination of words, I wasn't impressed with it. I think I tried to read The Thief Lord once, and the same thing happened.

Well, I've read InkHeart by Funke and thought the book was ok. I like Stroud and Paolini, so comparatively this was simpler. And since the storyline revolved around books, I kinda liked it :)

Still absolutely appalled at the weak plot in Dragon Rider over here. At the moment, I'm quite unwilling to give her another chance. Stroud, Rowling, Colfer, and Paolini were so much better that making a book intended for an audience younger than I am is no excuse.

"Inkheart" vs. Fforde's "Eyer Affair"

Well, I've read InkHeart by Funke and thought the book was ok. I like Stroud and Paolini, so comparatively this was simpler. And since the storyline revolved around books, I kinda liked it :)

I am thinking to buy the Inkheart, and since everybody here compares it with Paolini (whom I like) and Stroud, I guess I will like it. But here is the problem - I read the Jasper Fforde "The Eyer Affair" and I am afraid that if the "Inkheart" will be of the same subject of making-book-characters-alife-by-reading-loud, I might be disappointed because I will compare with the Fforde's really GREAT books.

So, should I start with the "Inkheart" or will it remind me too much of the Fforde?

personally i didnt mind it...of course its not gonna blow anyone away anytime soon but i think that only little kids will like this book. i liked inkheart, but inkspell, its sequel beat it by far. i hated The Thief Lord. but i liked inkheart and inkspell.

L.E. Modesett has written several books and Anne McAffrey has written tons, and I can't get into either of those authors.

Modesett (sp?)'s books are downright hard for me to understand. His writing and ideas aren't clear to me.

McAffrey, I just couldn't get into for some reason. Didn't hook my interest.

I'll probably try to read them again because people say how good they are, but I know I've tried each twice and wasn't impressed. I got through one of Modesett's (mostly because I own it, got it cheap on sale), but I haven't read a single Pern book front to back yet.

Mathius

There are some authors that just won't grab you no matter how many others like them. I have tried to read Dragonbone Chair (Tad Williams) which so many people love and found it mind numbingly boring. Bakkers Prince of Nothing grabbed me at the start and then faded away, so much so that I didn't end up reading the next 2 books. I loved Eriksons Gardens of the Moon, book 2 I found boring, most people were the other way around. I'm going to wait until he's done and then read it all in one go I think. There's no accounting for taste.

There are some authors that just won't grab you no matter how many others like them. I have tried to read Dragonbone Chair (Tad Williams) which so many people love and found it mind numbingly boring. Bakkers Prince of Nothing grabbed me at the start and then faded away, so much so that I didn't end up reading the next 2 books. I loved Eriksons Gardens of the Moon, book 2 I found boring, most people were the other way around. I'm going to wait until he's done and then read it all in one go I think. There's no accounting for taste.

I didn't like the Dragonbone Chair the first time I read it, but I went back and re-read it and was glad I did. Once you get into it, it's great.

Also was a little leary of reading his Otherland series. I picked up the first book on sale, not even knowing it was part of a series. I pick up books all the time that look interesting when they got to the $5 hardbound rack at Walden's, or Borders. I knew I liked the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, so I thought I'd try it.

First time I read it, I found out it wasn't medieval and just put it back down. I didn't read it until about 3 years later, and I just HAD to go to the library and get the next 3!

Mathius

Back