• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cornetto

third man girl

Question 1:

Cornetto (as in the ice-cream cone)
Plural. Cornettos or cornettoes?

Question 2:

in flagrante delicto. Can I drop the ‘delicto’ (ie He was caught in flagrante.) ?

TIA

Third Man Girl

I think Cornettos is right, or it may be easier to say two Cornetto ice creams? Cornettoes definitely looks wrong though. Sorry I haven't been more helpful and I don't know the answer to your second question but am sure someone here will!

third man girl said:
Or too much ice cream? :D

Third Man Girl

Also a possibility, they make the best ice cream in the world in my hometown

Blue Bell

For your second question, I think that I've seen it shortened before, and the idea is still QUITE clear, so it should work.

I would definitely say cornettos.

Google agrees with me: if you search for the word 'cornettos' it brings back nearly 700 hits, however if you put in 'cornettoes' it gives you 22 hits and asks you if you meant to search for 'cornettos'. :)

headpodd said:
I would definitely say cornettos.

Okay. You've convinced me :D

However, I've decided to go with Clara's solution "or it may be easier to say two Cornetto ice creams" :)

Thanks all.

Third Man Girl

third man girl said:
Ashlea. Do away with the flowers, and the picture on the barn, and that makes one amazing image. Makes my head spin :eek:

Thanks for the help with the questions

Third Man Girl

LOL, I'll have to send you pics that I've taken where I grew up. Parts of it look just like that.

And Texas has this thing about seeding the roadsides with wildflowers, so right now those flowers are everywhere. They're called Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush, and people have their picture taken in fields of them every year.

Ashlea said:
They're called Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush, and people have their picture taken in fields of them every year.

Wow! And we have barns shaped like air-raid shelters, with corrugated rust roofs, and dandelions and docken leaves to skip through. :(

Such is life ;)

Third Man Girl

This is a silly question. Every knows there is no plural of Cornetto. You're allowed Just One Cornetto. Not two. Not three. Not even four. If you require more than one, then you have to buy one, leave the shop, return and buy one more. You can continue on in this manner until you have enough, or until the shop shuts, or until you run out of money. But you cannot ever buy more than one cornetto at a time. It's against the law.

In fact, all the shops in this area only ever have just one Cornetto on sale at any one time. As soon as that one is sold though, another is popped into the freezer ready for the next customer. That way there's no risk of criminal Cornetto activity. There was a spate of multiple Cornetto purchasing activity a few years back when some black market multipacks were sold by shifty types to unsuspecting consumers. But due to the swift action of our local constabulary it was nipped in the bud good and quick. Now you can't sell a Cornetto without a license, and if you do then the specially trained police dogs can smell it happening and they run over and eat your kneecaps.

Back