• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Crackpot physics for morons

clueless

Well, that's what I would call it. I followed one of the links at the top of the forum main page to find this wonderful book calle 'The Final Theory' by Mark McCutcheon. I could not find anything about the author, but it have significative backing, such as the science correspondent of the Yorkshire Post (I never knew the Yorkshire Post had a science correspondent; I am still not sure they have).

All modern science is wrong and only he has the answers. According to him fridge magnets go against accepted scientific theories-since when?- and only he knows why.

Please read the link at the top of the page. We could even add it to laugh out funny. Fantastically silly stuff!

Should I write to him and put him in touch with Peter Johnson?

What's the link? The links at the top of the page change depending on the page content.

'New physics' always gives me a chuckle.

clueless said:
Well, that's what I would call it. I followed one of the links at the top of the forum main page to find this wonderful book calle 'The Final Theory' by Mark McCutcheon. I could not find anything about the author, but it have significative backing, such as the science correspondent of the Yorkshire Post (I never knew the Yorkshire Post had a science correspondent; I am still not sure they have).

All modern science is wrong and only he has the answers. According to him fridge magnets go against accepted scientific theories-since when?- and only he knows why.

Please read the link at the top of the page. We could even add it to laugh out funny. Fantastically silly stuff!

Should I write to him and put him in touch with Peter Johnson?

Actually you are wrong to call him a moron, he is perfectly correct. It's neither fantastic nor silly. :)

He isn't saying that fridge magnets don't work. If you read it properly he is saying that it contradicts the model of physics used to explain the phenomenon.

There is a revolution going on in physics at the moment. The big bang theory is getting more and more discredited as time goes by along with all it's trappings such as the theory of gravity.

The current physics model is full of holes and contradictions. String theory can't even be proved. A new theory which explains everything based on a plasma "electrical" model works much better. Expect a slow shift in the next 10 to 20 years in physics. If you actually read what he is saying and you actually read stuff such as "new scientist" along with related fields of study you would know he isn't a crank or a moron. I think you should do a little more research and read what he has to say before dismissing him.

Wabbit said:
He isn't saying that fridge magnets don't work. If you read it properly he is saying that it contradicts the model of physics used to explain the phenomenon.

If you reread my post, I never said he sustains that fridge magnets do not work, but that he uses the fact that they do not fall from the fridge door to deny gravity.

There is a revolution going on in physics at the moment. The big bang theory is getting more and more discredited as time goes by along with all it's trappings such as the theory of gravity.

Agree, but not just at the moment. I has been going on for quite a long time.

The current physics model is full of holes and contradictions.

Granted.

String theory can't even be proved.
No, and it has not even been called string theory for the last 9 years. There are lots of different theories out there. Maybe one of them, when it is fully developed, will be proven right; it could also be a mixture of several or they could all be wrong. Lots of experimental physicist, theoretical physicists and matematicians, separately or together are working on different theories. Only time and research will tell.

A new theory which explains everything based on a plasma "electrical" model works much better. Expect a slow shift in the next 10 to 20 years in physics. If you actually read what he is saying and you actually read stuff such as "new scientist" along with related fields of study you would know he isn't a crank or a moron. I think you should do a little more research and read what he has to say before dismissing him.

OK, I don't read the 'new' scientist because it's always old news. I try to keep a bit more up to date than that. Fortunately, scientist like to publish their research and they want everybody to read it for free so, apart from a few papers' databases where you can only read the abstracts unless you subscribe, there are lots of free internet sources available.
The idea of a plasma electrical model is not new either. It is just one more theory.

If I dismiss him and other people who have blogs or websites on the subject is because they their arguments are just plain silly ( I am not saying there are not valid arguments that can be used when talking about the subject, but these people do not use them. Perhaps they are above their heads).

I did not dismissed him without reading. I read everything in the website, short of dowloading the book. Frankly, I am not rich and have better uses for my money.

Writers of popular science books are of two kinds:
-They are scientists themselves, in which case, even though the book is popular science, you can find notes and bibliography at the back, so that the reader can find a description of the experiments carried out or a full mathematical working of the model.

-They are science writers/jounalist, with a good knowledge of the subject matter so they can read scientists' papers and explain them in plain English and without the equations to the general public.

Mark McCutcheon doesn't seem to be either. A fiction writer can use a pen name and not give personal information. A non fiction writer, not just a science one, cannot. He/She needs to be accountable. Any statement needs to be done in a way that can be verified. Experiments must be fully described, so that they can be repeated. Theoretical proposals must show the full working, so someone else can check them over and say 'hey, your theory only work because you forgot to include a couple of tensors'. Scientific magazines only publish an article, no matter how famous the author is, after having it checked by colleagues. They do not have to agree with the article, just say that it follows sound scientific procedure (experimental or mathematical).

And by the way, I was right about the Yorkshire Post. They do not have a science correspondent. Maybe he meant the science writer for the free paper delivered through my letter box.

Well, I'm not familiar with this author. I really can't say. So he is a layman? I don't see a problem with that. As far as I can tell ( with my limited knowledge of the subjects ) he isn't saying anything that's wacko.

It's not that the theory that is wrong, wabbit; it's the proofs he supplies. Science is like puddings.

It's like trying to proof that the earth is round because some people are blond.

I remember watching a documentary on the making of one of the Star Trek series. They explained that they had asked a scientist to provide a list of terms used in physics and space science and they threw them randomly in the script. They wouldn't make any sense whatsoever, but they impressed people who had never heard them before. It seems that's what Mr. McCutcheon has done here. He is not the only one.
I have seen a website that supports these theory and their main bone of contention is that astrophysicists know nothing about magnetism and disregard it when they study the universe. Even if I did not follow the latest trends I would know that this is not true just from personal experience. My tutor was an astrophysicist who also happened to teach first year electromagnetism. Of course, that's nothing, just basic stuff, but he was allocated to this course because that was the but of his research. Unfortunately, the principal thought that astrophysics was a waste of time when its budget could be better spent in extending the facilities for business studies, so the whole astrophysics team left for another UK university that welcomed them with open arms.

Now, going back to 'The Final Theory', he proves nothing. I have as much proof of the theory by reading what he is written that I would have of the impossibility drive by reading The Hitchhiker. And you know, the way things are, sometimes I feel inclined to believe that Adams was right and humanity evolved from a bunch of alien managers and the like of them.

Books like this make me laugh. The huge assumption is that scientists think they know the answers, when in reality they know they don't. It takes a very arrogant scientist to assume that their theory is the one and only correct one. Mark McCutcheon is being ingenuous in his implication that he has discovered gaps in gravitational explanations.

I remember asking my engineer father, and since, my physicist wife, how magnetism really works, why fridge magnets don't travel to the floor etc. They didn't know - not because they haven't thought about it or read enough, but because whatever the reason - it's not been thought through (yet). Many equations used in science and engineering are based on theories that are working models - they work, after a fashion, get predictable results but no one except McCutcheon assumes they KNOW why.

Life's full of mysteries (why are some popcorn kernels not popped?) but far from despairing we carry on thinking.

I find that his book is far too ponderous. He could have saved 90% (and a lot of energy :rolleyes: ) by cutting out all his tedious repetitions and his own psuedo-science explanations - eg that maybe protons "naturally cluster together" - eh? what is naturally?

And we have the typical book blurb exaggeration "This in-depth
analysis of Newton's ideas is only possible now from
the powerful new perspective found in the book." True if you ignore the hundreds of similar books.

Geoff

Back