• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Critique Me!! I want to play too!!

novella

Give me your ideas!! I want to make this thing fantasterrific.

I might call this story Murder Girl:

It was a stormyish and darkish night packed full of blackness and wetness, in other words rain, which decided to drop out of the sky at the most inconvenient time, right when the girl peeled herself off her carseat onto the sidewalk and started to meander down the street under the neon glow of various signs. Her names was Sarah Anne Blake and she had blue eyes that you couldn’t see in the dark and brown hair blow-dried just so. She guzzled the litre-sized bottle of imported Danish vodka down like it was water out of a waterfall, splashing into the throat of her body. Glug glug. It was agony and ecstasy at the same time and dribbled a bit on her velour hoodie, leaving a dark splash in the shape of a seahorse, but she didn’t notice. She was innocent but nobody thought she was, not even her, even though she was pretty sure she would never murder a person like a cold-blooded murderer. The idea of stabbing made a shiver up her spine. No way. The stars twinkled in her mind’s eye, behind her real eye as the vodka rolled through her bloodstream like clear antifreeze through a motor.

The multitool in her pocket felt confident. It had at least two types of knife on it, plus scissors and a file and other stuff like tweezers, but she never used the tweezers. Her eyebrows were okay as is. It weighed about a pound. She cradled it in her pants pocket like a precocious item, thinking of whether she might have digged it into that dead guy’s flesh they found and blamed her about.

The memory of it whacked her in the head like a bat, but it was still fuzzy. Maybe if she didn’t drink a gallon of vodka every now and then she would think a little more crisply. That might be an idea. Oh, yeah, the memory. Which was this guy looming off a stained green couch from someone’s parents, trying to have a conversation at a party in one of the dormitories, which they weren’t supposed to be having. She was under twenty-one, even though everyone else was drinking too, so she didn’t stand out particularly, though her quantity was precise. She hardly ever went to class so had little notion of who everyone was at the college she went to, just her roommate Kim, a floozy who really went at it all hours of the day and night. Figures. They were get stuck with each other in the same room, so Sarah Anne never went there. She was a fixture in the Ratskeller, a bar most people hated.

The couch guy looked at her with the intensity of a maniac. His name was Norbert Knapsack, which she found out afterwards when they found his dead body lying like a leg of lamb on the dinnertable, except his body was in the parking lot next to the student union, lying around behind one of those ugly cars that looks like a washing machine with a brain tumor, which are surprisingly popular in Europe. He must have writhed in agony at some point, contorting with the pain of being stabbed by a total stranger. Or maybe it was someone who knew him quite well, on a first-name basis. That was what she needed to find out to clear her name of this horrible accusation that had no basis, except that they found her lying around nearby in the same parking lot covered in blood and had not memory. At least that wasn’t foggy. But it was starting to clear up.

The sidewalk came really close to her head as she nearly fell over. She could practically see the old chewing gum blobs ground into the aggregate mix. She tossed the empty bottle into a trash can, making a clashing tinkling noise as it cracked into at least fifty pieces. Life was like that, she thought. Crashing into a trash can like a broken bottle. When would she grow up and smell the coffee?

Proof positive, once again Novella, that you are one of my favorite members of this forum.

I want more.

Novella, I'm speechless. Amazing. I especially found, "The sidewalk came really close to her head as she nearly fell over" particularly effective. My only piece of advice is to maybe make your sentences a little bit longer. They're way too terse and abrupt.

My hub said the level of badness was inconsistent. My kid was reluctant to say how bad it sucked. But I'm coming back with a new-improved version, you betcha. Hey, thanks Ell , Moto, people, I'm going to use those comments to improve. G, take a not-serious pill, prescribed by doctors. For medical use.
This writing is in the How Bad Kin It Be contest.

Novella, I tried to critique your piece, but I was laughing so hard I was crying, so it was a little difficult to type. The hysteria has passed, and although my ribs ache a little, I wanted to just say, well done. Geenh is right, it's not bad, novella...it's worse than bad.

She cradled it in her pants pocket like a precocious item, thinking of whether she might have digged it into that dead guy’s flesh they found and blamed her about.

Whatever you do, don't tinker with this here sentence -- it's pluperfect .

:D

Novella - I was being facetious.

Should I take the dusty pills that exist in your bathroom cabinet?

A gem of a turd, novella. However, I thought this sentence was extremely accurate, and has a place in a more sincere piece, of a different style:

The sidewalk came really close to her head as she nearly fell over.

Maybe it's just that I've had too many encounters like that, though. *wink*

My favourites:

She guzzled the litre-sized bottle of imported Danish vodka down like it was water out of a waterfall, splashing into the throat of her body
Throat of her body? :confused:

The stars twinkled in her minds eye, behind her real eye
Minds eye is behind the real eyes? I didn't know that! ;)

And of course the No.1 bestseller:

The sidewalk came really close to her head as she nearly fell over.

Good work novella! :p

Well, Novella, what can I add to this, but "wow"...

Inspiring, intriguing, and educational (I was unaware of the European popularity of washing machines with brain tumors!)

Well, judging by this post, you obviously have lots of smartness, so I will leave your writing untouched by sane hands!

Being a newbie, and not having read anything by you yet, I was concerned at first, and thought "how do I tell her that his sucks and blows at the same time?" (Moto will appreciate that quote!)

You think this is bad? You should've seen the 1002 Things to Do with a bobbyburns thread. Also the Bad Valentine's Day Poetry thread. Some delicious stinkers.

novella said:
Give me your ideas!! I want to make this thing fantasterrific.

I might call this story Murder Girl:

It was a stormyish and darkish night packed full of blackness and wetness, in other words rain,

Novella, you've written better. I've seen your work and this is not near it. Not tight enough, too much excess. Stormyish? Darkish? in other words rain? Please. Don't let your standards fall. Revise. Revise. Revise.

But guzzling the vodka's a great description. Glug glug accentuates it.

smirky,
He was my inspiration!!

I'm of the unique opinion that laboi's a class-A leg puller. It's the way his revisions seem to get worse, combined with his enthusiasm and prolific production. He has a gift for the completely broken metaphor. Plus his latest stuff is getting pretty raunchy, which indicates a calculated bait-and-switch mentality. Watch this space.

Based on the outright rage I encountered I can't help but think there is no joking happening with any of his posts.

Back