• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cryptography-books.

Martin

Cryptonomicon is the best book I've ever read, and recently I watched the film A Beautiful mind, which contains some codebreaking, and I was riveted. Conclusion - I like codebreaking-stuff.

So, pop-quiz, hot shots!

What is a good book concerning cryptography? I prefer fiction, but non-fiction is also welcome.

My gratitude is immense.

Cheers

I don't know if I can help with the fiction side of things, but Simon Singh wrote a very readable introduction to the field call The Code Book. I know there is another big non-fiction book out on code-breaking by a guy (I think the name is Kahn), but I'm not sure of the title.
However, one of the nice things about non-fiction is that they have to put a bibliography of some sort at the back. It's a good place to look for further reading.

Good tip, thanks.

On Kahn - I'm only familiar with David Kahn, who's written quite a few non-fiction books on cryptography.

Cheers

I believe Robert Harris' 'Enigma' is a book set around the breaking of the Nazi Enigma code during World War II, but I havnt read it personally.

Phil

One of the best on this is The Codebreakers, a really well written history on the subject. Here's amazon's page on it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684831309/qid=1112570448/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-2906467-0637624?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Also Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks is written from the other perspective. He made up codes and concealment methods for the Allies, specifically the UK and its agents during WWII. Worked at Benchley Park and in London. Reads like a novel.

Martin said:
Cryptonomicon is the best book I've ever read, and recently I watched the film A Beautiful mind, which contains some codebreaking, and I was riveted. Conclusion - I like codebreaking-stuff.

Cheers

I used to be interested in that sort of thing but never picked it up seriously, interesting stuff though, was going to suggest The Codebreakers as that's the only one I've heard of but Novella beat me to it

There was a tv drama on the other night with cryptology with Kate Winslet in I think. I only watched the second half though so I was utterly confused :) anyways ...

This book looks quite good (non-fiction)

An essay ... seems interesting

Alice

The film-drama with Kate Winslet you mentioned was probably Enigma (also with Dougray Scott), and I think that's the film version of the book Phil suggested earlier.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers

Martin said:
The film-drama with Kate Winslet you mentioned was probably Enigma (also with Dougray Scott), and I think that's the film version of the book Phil suggested earlier.

Cheers

Yes that's the one :)

It would make a great book I think, I might look it up ...

Alice

I meant the DeVinci Code. But I'll look into that one.

And we knew you weren't kidding. You have no sense of humour. :D

Cheers

Thank god! Someone who actually understands me! See, and people think I'm kidding about being pelted with bananas!

Another cryptography book - Digital Fortress, by Stewart's strange bedfellow. :D

ds

p.s. Btw, it has been bugging me for a couple of days now: from which movie did 'pop-quiz, hot shot' come from? I know I have a knack of going offtopic, but you still love me right?

Speed.

And I have Digital Fortress on my shelf also - they were having a Dan Brown-sale.

Cheers

What, they were selling Dan Brown!! Tell me, did you buy, or did Stewie snap him up first? :D

Phil

No, I took him home for 29 cents and three marbles. He's washing my car as we speak.

Cheers

If you are really interested in core cryptography i.e cryptography alogrithms and techniques, you can have a look at any network security books.
These books might expect you to have some background of computer networks. You can try them nevertheless.

Lots of resources are available on the net as well. A quick introduction to Cryptography is available here.

Back