• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Culinary Mysteries

KristoCat

Hi everyone,

I've heard good things about culinary mysteries, by which I mean mysteries that include lots of information about and scenes with cooking and food, and sometimes even recipes. Does anyone here read them? If so can you recommend some authors?

Never heard of such things! But I'm intrigued, to say the least. I'm looking forward to hearing some people's suggestions.

When you mention the concept of food and recipes in literature, I automatically think of 'Like Water for Chocolate', which I assume you've read. It's not a mystery, but is certainly a beautiful book. I seem to recall that Amy Tan's 'The Kitchen God's Wife' was similar in incorporating food into the story.

Sorry, I got off topic... waiting to hear more about food in mysteries.

I actually have read a book of short stories of mysteries that had someting to do with food. There may have even been recipies. One was by Christie. I do not have it handy or I would give you the title.

Hi KristoCat

There is one particular author who caters to your tastes, excuse the pun - Diane Mott Davidson

From the site...

New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson has taken readers by storm with clever mysteries filled with tantalizing plots and mouthwatering recipes.

Kind Regards....

TJ

Another author: Manuel Vazquez Montalban. His Inspector Carvalho loves food and so did the author. Food is in all his books and he also wrote a cookery book with the Inspector's favourite recipes.

Well I just finished reading Monsieur Pamplemousse by Michael Bond (the guy who wrote the Paddington Bear books; this is his foray into adult fiction). It's definitely a culinary mystery - there's actually as much time devoted to the food M. Pamplemousse eats as there is to the mystery itself. And then there's really bizarre events that happen, that don't seem to really fit in anywhere and are just supposed to function as comic relief I guess... except I didn't really find them funny. I'll try one of your suggestions, maybe that will turn out better.

I've mentioned it before somewhere, but Anthony Bourdain's A Bone in the Throat is pretty good. A mafios story set in NYC's Little Italy in a restaurant. This book predates his better-known memoir Kitchen Confidential.

I've got one for you...go to Amazon and search for the Cooking Class Mysteries. I've read the first two and I really enjoyed them. Each book also features at least 3 recipes mentioned within the story. I hope you like them!

Back