• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

curfews for teens

Wow, I've *never* heard of a curfew actually being enforced anywhere these days. Does it work, Renee? What was the impetus for establishing it?

From what I read in the charter there was in increase in juvenile crime and violence; the curfew was to force parents to be more responsible for the whereabouts of their children and to help prevent juvenile crimes.

I live a rural suburb, where police calls and many court cases are published in the local papers. From what I've seen, the biggest issues with teens are smoking, speeding, skipping school, and sometimes drinking. Most of the teen crimes seem very minor.

The curfew began in 1996 and it looks like it hasn't changed in the past 9 years.

Interesting... I'm still not sure that I agree it's the best course of action to take, but it's still an interesting working model.

There is a bit of teen crime around the area I live in too. A few weeks ago there was a new caravan fixed up, looked very expensive too and some boys who are and have been in alot of trouble with the local people and police set fire to this really nice looking caravan up :eek: Of course the kids are only about 15/16 so they can't get arrested as they are too young and the parents probably defend their children saying they are such sweet hearts :rolleyes: Local people who complain about these teens often have had their car windows smashed in the day after. Recently there was letters sent round about these teens and their behaviour, but nothing is really being done about it. They drive with their mopeds and case trouble at about 1 or 2 in the morning. People down my road are getting quite mad at these teens and have complained loads but still no action is being taken place. There is even profe on CCTV camera of these teens causeing trouble but nothing is being done, so I think there needs to be a curfue for these teens! :rolleyes:

My libertarian side gives a vehement "No" based on principle alone, but my gut feeling on this one is that it's a good thing. Kids can and will get in trouble. A curfew, including a daytime curfew, would give officers probable cause to ask suspicious kids what they're doing.

Look, a lot of families, expecially poorer families living in bad neighborhoods, require both parents to work. I know people who have worked two jobs at a time, never seeing their kids or wives except in between jobs or before bed. Those kids with a lack of parental involvement are testing bounds just like other kids, and if mom and dad aren't there or don't place restrictions, the kids will push the envelope with other people. That sounds like a good place for the cops to get involved to me, when other people's rights are infringed upon.

for me, being still a tenager, it would suck big time, if somebody tells me not to take a walk at three in the morning... so i vote against any kind of curfew...

I've never even heard of anyone thinking of enforcing a curfew these days. I'm surprised its so common. Sounds a bit silly to me.

jenngorham said:
i would just like to point out the rampant lack of capitization i have recently witnessed , here and in other threads. could it be that i have started a trend or is this forum just slipping into a grammatically incorrect wasteland?

on topic, my hometown used to have a curfew for teens i think, ricky do you remember? i think it was 10 but i don't really remember kids being too wild back in the day. currently in the town i live in there seems to be a rise in vandalism. i think the parents should be held accountable too as they are the ones who are allowing the kids to roam around all hours. where are the parents of the kids passed out on the lawns at 3 am?

i have never been known to capitalize..anywho, yes we had a curfew at one point, but that was when allen leger was on his spree. kids had to be home by 10 pm every night...

Our town has a curfew of anyone under 18 to be in by midnight...however, no one really enforces it. Personally, I think it should be up to the parents. I mean there are teens that can go out and stay out and NOT get into trouble, and then there are teeens that will get into trouble, and there are the ones that might get into trouble. So I don't think that having one set curfew for every teen would be very sensible because (1) enforcing it would be difficult and (2) it might not be fair to every teen since no one person is the same in what they enjoy doing.

Back