• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Being a Red Sox fan is either a pure form of masochism or the ultimate test of loyalty. I'm not sure which. :p

What about being a Cubbies fan :( (So close!!!)

Currently reading 'The Queens Conjuror' about the life of Elizabethan magician, astronmer & astrologer Dr. John Dee - its pretty cool!

Phil

Hey Phil, That sounds like a book I'd be interested in. Can you give me the author's name & do you know if it's available in hardback?
Many thanks !
Bill
( a life long Cubs fan )

Its by ... erm .... give me a sec <rummages on Amazon> .. Benjamin Woolley, and its a good read - lots of how he interacted with the courts of Edward VI, Mary & Elizabeth - and how he was both a scientist and a purveyor of the more magical arts :)

Phil

PS: Ive only been a Cubbies fan for about 5 years, but thats as long as ive been watching baseball (its only been televised on UK TV in the last couple of years would you believe!!) - was totally gutted watching their last game with the Marlins :(

Thanks for the info Phil. I'll look for it .Speaking of totally gutted, that was the general opinion of what should have been done to the fan that interfered with that foul ball.
Bill

:) That poor kid!! I saw the footage of his house somewhere in the suburbs with helicopters hovering all around it and the road completely blocked with people!! :p Guess they wanted it real bad in Chicago!!

Phil

I actually am in the middle of reading Amy Tan's recent non-fiction self-portrait "The Opposite of Fate". It's pretty interesting, if you like her authorial style and want the low-down on how she writes her books. Or if you want to be shown that you don't need to have a super-human command of the English language to be a world famous author.

Hey Phil, just wanted to say that I picked up The Queen Conjurer on ebay today. If I don't like it it's ALL YOUR FAULT! (devil's grin)

Bill

i have just finished reading Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by edward rice.
Richard F. Burton was an explorer,spy,diplomat and author,he was the first white man to make the pilgrimage to Mecca he searched for the source of the Nile and he brought out to the Western world the Kama Sutra plus he did the seventeen volume translation of the Arabian nights.All in all a fairly full life and
a very interesting one

Also recently finished Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Figes and am now reading A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924 by the same author. Others recently read: Woodrow Wilson by Louis Auchincloss; American Dynasty by Kevin Phillips; Why Christianity Must Change or Die by Bishop John Shelby Spong

I tried once before to read A People's Tragedy but didn't stay with it. After reading Natasha's Dance, I was spurred on to try the previous book again and am enjoying it this time around. I'll admit I tend to have trouble from time to time keeping up with all the characters and the various revolutionary group names, but my lack of knowledge of Russian history has been an embarrassment and these two books have provided me a wealth of information and some degree of understanding. It has also been interesting to ponder the questions reading this book has generated in my mind in regards to the world situtation today -- the similarities regarding peoples, actions, etc.

I'm reading Nietzsche: A Philosophical Biography by Safranski; and The Scientific Outlook by Bertrand Russell. Russell's book, whilst slightly dated, is still pretty much on the ball. The Nietzsche biog is a fascinating read of a highly influential and intelligent thinker who was terribly arrogant and obsessive.

Skycat -

Am glad to hear you're finding Safranski's book on Nietzsche to be fascinating as I only yesterday checked this book out of the library. Haven't started it yet - hope I'm not in over my head.

skycat, you should check out the walter kaufman biography ... he's to nietzsche what richard ellman was to james joyce.

Leif Davidsen: Dostojevskijs sidste rejse.

I am reading this book of a Danish journalist and author, who was a foreign correspondent in USSR in the 1980's.

20 years later he travels back, on the last journey of Dostojevski - a river boat sailing the Volga. He reflects on the Soviet Union then, and Russia today.

It's very good.

Hobitten :)

Back