1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by ramius, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Si te sirve de consuelo....el 16 estaré en Zgz
    FOREL et le LÉMAN - François Alphonse Forel .
    La Guerre des Barrages - Jacques Leslie .
    Géologie de l'Ingénieur : Hommage à la mémoire de Marcel Arnould - Collectif .

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

On a random impulse, after long absence, I've just finished reading this thread back to page 27 out of the current 40 pages on my computer.
    It has been fascinating to see all the familiar people again and what they once were reading. Hello all! :)
    Also fascinating to see my own mentions of books that I no longer remember anything about. :eek:
    Anyway, I'm currently making my way slowly through The Stone Reader - Modern Philosophy in 133 Arguments, edited by Peter Catapano and Simon Critchley.
    The book collects articles of a few pages each which have appeared from time to time in the NY Times. Not exactly depth reading in classical philosophy, but interesting anyway on miscellaneous topics.

3. A Listener

A Listener Member

Thanks for re-opening this thread just before I checked in on BookandReader for the first time in years.

The “Stone Reader...” sounds interesting, I checked it out on Amazon and was pleased to note that some of the essays are reply/rebuttal exchanges among authors. In the early Eighties I was still subscribing to Wireless World and Science. Wireless World was running a series of essays by W. A. Scott-Murray, entitled, A Heretics Guide To Modern Physics, which disagreed with some aspects of Einstein’s theories. For several months after each instalment, the Letters section resonated with scholarly attack and rebuttal on points raised, which were interesting and illuminating. This was a regular thing with Wireless World, but never seemed to occur in Science, more’s the pity.

I recently finished At The Existentialist Café, by Sarah Bakewell. This turned out to be sort of a biographical review of the main principals of the movement, and their positions. I never was much taken with Sartre, et al.They were, however, often in the news some decades ago.

Bakewell seemed excited by what she set forth as some new revelation by Sartre, that humans created themselves by their choices, and were responsible for the outcomes they got; which were not pre-ordained by “God’s will”. This has always seemed to be merely a re-hash of Renaissance humanisn, set forth about 400 years ago by Giovanni Pico Della Mirandola.

Still, I enjoyed the book, which is carried along by the likeable enthusiasm and personality of Bakewell as narrator.

4. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    What ?? :eek: Are you hinting at this thread has been inactive/closed till Peder's return ??
    And I without noticing it after 5 or 6 years posting in this thread, Sacrebleu !! [​IMG]

5. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    L'Arête de l'Éternité /Sur le fil du Nanga Parbat (( Mazeno ridge )) - Sandy Allan .
    MAKALU Pilier Ouest - Robert Paragot , Yannick Seigneur .
    NANGA - Fra rispetto e pazienza, come ho corteggiato la montagna che chiamavano assassina - SIMONE MORO .
    GASHERBRUM 4 _ Fosco Maraini valendosi di diari, appunti, ricordi suoi e di Walter Bonatti, Riccardo Cassin...

<< Some chapters/articles in several books >>
    * Baintha Brakk a.k.a The Ogre - DOUG SCOTT
    * Gauri Shankar South Face

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jacky

Jacky New Member

7. Andy*

Andy* New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Lord of the Rings
    My last non fiction read was a re-reading of Washington Irving's "A Tour of the Prairies."
    Irving wrote this account based on his month ( October ,1832 ) long excursion to what was then part of the "Indian Nations" , in this case what we now call Oklahoma.
    It is a a very readable and enjoyable book ...Lots of adventure and humor without being bogged down with "flowery" speeches or over wrought dramatic scenes.
    From reading the work , you can tell that Irving enjoyed his tour.... I think you will too.
    Andy

8. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

Currently reading up on Pre Civil War American political history to gain a deeper understanding of what-all went into that national catastrophe --
    -- two books specifically: a biography of Henry Clay, the Great Compromiser; and a collection of factual stories about the year's events of 1861.

9. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    La Montagna che non c'è - Anna Torretta .
    Non ti Farò Aspettare _ Tre volte sul Kangchendzonga, la storia di noi due raccontata da me - Nives Meroi
    SKI SPIRIT - Giorgio Daidola .
    35 anni e più di Sci Estremo - Tone Valeruz .
    LOUIS LLIBOUTRY : Le Champollion des Glaces - Marc Turrel .
    Au Pays des Terres Hautes - Anselme Baud .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM
  10. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading: