1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by ramius, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    Euskal Herria en los Techos del Mundo - Los 14 Ochomiles Vascos _ Antxon Iturriza .
    Los Abuelos Vascos en el Rio de La Plata - Alberto Sarramone .
    Hielos y Océanos - Vascos por el mundo _ José Azpiazu Elorza .
    Una Geografía Diacrónica del Euskara en Navarra - A.Apat-Echebarne, A. Irigaray .

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Juleeming

Juleeming New Member

I don't read that much nonfiction, but since I am a Civil War buff I'm currently slogging through Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant. Most of his civil war stuff I already had read about elsewhere but what I'm finding most interesting in Chernow's take on Grant's presidency. Most people assume he was naive at best and ineffective and corrupt at worst, but Grant actually had some important accomplishments, such as reinforcing the newly won freedoms for freed slaves and prosecuting KKK members. Without him, the gains won by black people during Reconstruction would have ended many years sooner.

3. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

Julee,
    I am very interested in your observations about Grant. It sounds like I'll be adding Chernow to my list.
    Currently (and on and off) I am reading up on the Civil War era from the Southern point of view. Being a Northerner, my education has of course acquainted me quite well with the northern view of things.
    I regard the conflict as both an enormous tragedy of American history and a horrendous failure of American democracy. So, I am interested in delving into the issues of the time and, especially, how they were viewed by the opposing parties at the time. A tremendous number of people gave their lives for what they believed in and I think we minimize it.
    I am currently part-way through a biography of Henry Clay, the Great Compromiser, who did his best to prevent it all coming to War.
    Peder

4. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    Sulle Tracce di Coomba - La vita di Doug Coombs, uno Sciatore leggendario_ Robert Cocuzzo .
    El Gringo Eskiador : Patrick Vallençant - Yannick e Gaëlle Vallençant .
    Sciatori di Montagna - 12 storie di chi ha fatto la storia dello Sci Alpinismo_ Giorgio Daidola .
    Willo Welzenbach : La vita, gli scritti, le imprese - Eric S. Roberts .
    Alpinista per Scommessa : Piero Ghiglione, scalate nei cinque continenti - Italo Zandonella Callegher .
    Il nuovo Polverelli minore - Vocabolario della lingua pauderolesa_ Davide Branca .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Polly Parrot

Polly Parrot Moderator Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    Alex Pheby, Lucia
    Mary Beard, Rome most recently, and some works on the First World War as well as the usual research and reference books on James Joyce.

6. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    Jung y la Creación de la Psicología Moderna - Sonu Shamdasani
    Escritos sobre ESPIRITUALIDAD y Transcendencia - Carl Gustav Jung
    SINCRONICIDAD como principio de Conexiones Acausales - Jung, Wolfgang Pauli .
    Ernst Jūnger, Los Titanes venideros - Antonio Gnoli, Franco Volpi

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. direstraits

direstraits Well-Known Member