• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

My current non-fiction read is A.N Wilson's "The Victorians" - I'm slowwwwly getting through it in addition to some other stuff. "London - The Biography" - Peter Ackroyd, is next in the pile. I'm insanely fascinated with anything from the Victorian period, especially Victorian London, so any recommendations in this area will always be greatly appreciated :)

Also flicking through "The Pythons" (as in Monty) autobio.

L2

I'm currently on a WWII kick. I've been reading heaps of biographies and autobiographies from that period. I just bought a book written by one of the guys who built an asian railroad during the war. Riveting stuff!

I've been reading "The Sewing Circles of Herat" by Christina Lamb and it is a fascinating account of Afghanistan. It is opening my eyes to things that I wasn't aware of in regard to the Taliban and the war (constant war, poor country has been devastated by war, and not just the current cconflict). I am reading it slowly as there is so much history and description to absorb and I want to make sure I do this book justice and actually retain more than I usually do with my reading.
I highly recommend this book.

Geenh said:
I'm currently on a WWII kick. I've been reading heaps of biographies and autobiographies from that period. I just bought a book written by one of the guys who built an asian railroad during the war. Riveting stuff!

I get on WWI and WWII kicks from time to time.
Have you read "Between Silk and Cyanide" by Leo Marks?
It is an account of his time in the WWII code office in London. The history is quite interesting and his writing style is witty and self-deprecating.
:)

Jbug said:
I get on WWI and WWII kicks from time to time.
Have you read "Between Silk and Cyanide" by Leo Marks?
It is an account of his time in the WWII code office in London. The history is quite interesting and his writing style is witty and self-deprecating.
:)

I read the Leo Marks book. It's excellent! Very entertaining and full of great anecdotes about real spies and heroes and villains. Such a great tale-teller.

FYI, for anyone who doesn't know who he is, he became a big screenwriter in Hollywood after the war and is also the son of the owners of the famous London bookstore, 84 Charing Cross Road.

No, Jbug, I haven't I am now reading Echoes in the darkness by Joseph Wambaugh. It's true crime. I love that too. It's amazing how base human beings can get!

I'm reading "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson. My grandmother gave it to us when my son was born. I started it, but never finished it because my son has medical problems that needed more attention. I just picked it up again a couple weeks ago to start reading it again.

I just picked up "Born Fighting : how the Scots-Irish shaped America" by James Webb.

I don't know when I'll get to it, but it sounds inviting.

RaVeN

I recently finished "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It was a great book. Made me want to hike the Appalachian and NOT at the same time. Also, it was very humorous.

Im currently reading "Guns, Germs, and Steal" by Jared Diamond which seems to be very interesting so far. Lots of information and history!

I'm reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and that'll probably be going on for the next 7 months! Heh heh.

Show and Tell

I just read a really great book that I wanted to share with other readers. It's called Show and Tell and by the new author Karen Vanderlaan. The reviews on it are great and I think just about everyone will enjoy at least parts of it. It would especially appeal to abuse survivors, music lovers, animal lovers, parents, teachers, single parents, and many others. It's available at http://www.publishamerica.com/ (search either the author or the title). It's also available on Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-2004578-5862408?v=glance&s=books

Has anyone else read this book or heard of it?

I just read "The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracies at Home and Abroad" by Fareed Zakariah.

Damn, I think I love this man, even when I'm totally disagreeing with him. Hot, smart, not to mention so freakin reasonable and charming. Funny too, I totally loved him on John Stewart's show a month back or so.

It was a pretty good read.

Wondered if anyone would be interested in my latest find:
The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean

IAfter seeing themovie *Adaptatuio* I had to have it. :D

This is the review
In Susan Orlean's mesmerizing true story of beauty and obsession is John Laroche, a renegade plant dealer and sharply handsome guy, in spite of the fact that he is missing his front teeth and has the posture of al dente spaghetti. In 1994, Laroche and three Seminole Indians were arrested with rare orchids they had stolen from a wild swamp in south Florida that is filled with some of the world's most extraordinary plants and trees. Laroche had planned to clone the orchids and then sell them for a small fortune to impassioned collectors. After he was caught in the act, Laroche set off one of the oddest legal controversies in recent memory, which brought together environmentalists, Native Amer-ican activists, and devoted orchid collectors. The result is a tale that is strange, compelling, and hilarious.

I'm not sure it is possible to call TTC course audiobook to nonfiction book, but right now I am listening two audiobook.
Einstein’s Relativity and the Quantum Revolution for nonphysicists: by Richard Wolfson
Existentialism and the Meaning of Life by Robert Solomon

I'm reading "What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America" now, by Thomas Frank. It's slow going though.

I've thrown the book a few times, sometimes just set it aside and picked up some old reliable fiction to reread instead. It's a downer, but really interesting for anyone who would already be interested in the question posed lol.

I just read A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer. I spent the first chapter with a lump in my throat. What some people are capable of, man, that woman is truly sick.

I'm reading Daniel Boorstin's "The Americans: The National Experience" (the middle book in his American history trilogy) and Douglas Brode's "The Films of Steven Spielberg".

I'm just finished Existentialism and the Meaning of Life by Robert Solomon &
Losing my mind by Thomas DeBaggio

Back