• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

FYI, this is the same author that wrote Band Of Brothers which was made into an HBO series.

I haven't read Brothers yet but D-Day is an amazing read.

Currently reading The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature by David Suzuki and Amanda McConnell. This book is a good reminder that we need to respect and tread lightly on this planet if we're to leave it for our children and grandchildren.

The other day I saw "The Sacred Balance: A Visual Celebration of Our Place in Nature" in an ad. It's a big pictorial (coffee table type) book. I was wondering if anyone knows if it has the same text as the former book or if it's supposed to be a pictorial companion to the first?

I read Ambrose's book about the Lewis & Clark expedition, which was a good read - i havnt read any of his WW2 ones yet, but i do have the one about Custer and Sitting Bull which i may get around to some day ....

...too many books, too little time :(

Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg
The 'Kate' here is Katherine Hepburn. It's not so much biography as a recollection of the author's numerous conversations with the actress. Really enjoying it so far.

On Cukor by Gavin Lambert
A pictorial autobiography of George Cukor. I came upon this book by lucky happenstance. I'd just started reading 'Kate Remembered' and learned that Cukor directed a number of Hepburn movies (including Philadelphia Story - my favourite). I found this book on a bargain table while browsing at a local Chapters store. Got it for $2.84 Cdn. What a steal!

Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Freidman
Best guidebook on Hawaii I've come across.

So, what are your non-fiction reads?

Well, I just finished Edison's Eve by Gaby Wood. It is about various attempts to build life-like automatons through history. In my opinion, the book was OK, but only OK. I thought Ms. Wood had a little bit too much of an axe to grind. At times, she seemed to be really stretching a point, or wandering off-topic, to approach some sort of nebulous Feminist interpretation. The history aspects, though, were quite interesting.
Next, I'll probably read something called Warmly Inscribed, another of Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone's charming (if fluffy) books about the world of book collecting.

I'm reading Keeper of Genesis, because I saw pieces of a documentary by the guys that wrote this, and I wanted to see if they could substantiate their theories a bit further. I think it's rather poorly translated, and it's not as interesting a read as I had hoped.

I'm reading now Aquarium - mostly because my brother wanted me to do that. The book is based on the memories of the times when the author - Victor Suworow - served in Russian military intelligence service. Later he ran away to the West and, because of that, got a death sentence for betraying national secrects.

I just finished "An Autobiography of a tibet monk" by Palden Gyatso.

Probably not the best written book in the world, but the story is so shocking/brilliant/sad you hardly even notice.

Stupid White Men ...and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation
by Michael Moore :D :D

Right Now I'm reading a biography of George Washington by Douglas Southall Freeman. It's a pity that Washington's real life and personality have been laregely overshadowed by his icon status as "Father of the Country," because he was a very interesting and unusual person. IMO, without him we wouldn't have become a successful independent country at that time.

Hi Brandon9000, I have read a great book called "The secret zodiacs of Washington DC" You might find it interesting. It shows how Washington was designed around the star sign Virgo and what it means to the United States in general. Very interesting in light of recent events

i just read 'Lila says' its probably considered an old one now.
I started and finished it last night, it was such a good read.
The author is anonymous, but refers to himself in the book as Chimo, a badly educated Arab immigrant and his encounters with Lila. A tragic erotic love story.

I recently finished one bio of Eleanor of Aquitaine and will be starting on another one shortly - research for my novel. She was fascinating. Also reading bits from whatever medieval history I come across.

And need to rent Lion in Winter, too.

I'm re-reading The Scents of Eden by Charles Corn -- it's a pretty interesting book about the struggle for economic control over the Spice Islands between various European and local powers, from the 16th to the 19th century.

I just started reading 'sleepers' by Lorenzo Carcaterra last night and am half way through already. Fantastic book, tells the story of four boys who were put in a reformatory school when one of their pranks went wrong. In the place they were abused, and one of them is telling the story, great read.

Hi tartan_skirt, I read Sleepers when it came out & you're right, it is a good read. If I remember correctly though there was some kind of discrepancy though on if it was indeed a true story or not. Either way you realy had to feel for the boys.
My latest non-fiction read was Groucho by Stefan Kanfer. You can pretty much guess what it's about.

Last month I finished Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. If I ever eat another McDonald's burger, it will be with deep regret.

I'm sure most of you have heard of this book. I don't read much non-fiction as I tend to get bored, but this was fascinating and quite well-written.
Not only is it an expose on what is in the fast food you eat, but it's a revealing look at how the fast food industry got to where it is today, and their business/production/employee philosophies.

I also understand why people hate Republicans now :)

Right now I have two nonfiction books going:

Producing & Directing the Short Film and Video, which is very thorough without being overly technical

Impossible Dreams, a collection of articles about the Red Sox that's illuminating, entertaining, and (for Boston baseball fans) depressing

Back