• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading?

Ruzi

That seems to be a pretty common question around here, and I was wondering if it would be possible to add something in the profiles like-
Currently Reading: (insert book here)
Next book: (insert book here)
-or something along those lines. It would offer a way for people to see what others are working on as well as what they plan to read next. I've seen this done on video game forums with Current game/next game options in the profiles. Just an idea, like some of my others, I get the feeling I'm a very demanding and somewhat annoying forum goer. :eek:

Actually sounds like a good idea to me. Would take care of the threads that are thousands of posts long with people simply stating I am reading .....
Might leave more room for actual discussion of those books in the thread, not to mention it's probably quite an easy step to take in order to simplify things.

Good call Ruzi.

True@1stLight said:
Might leave more room for actual discussion of those books in the thre...

In fact, I was wondering a lot what the bookforum for, generaly? Only stating that what books have been read, who is best, which author is unfavorable, blah, blah.......... etc. etc.. Umm, yes, they offered kinda info. But. Well, I really don't know. :(

watercrystal said:
In fact, I was wondering a lot what the bookforum for, generaly? Only stating that what books have been read, who is best, which author is unfavorable, blah, blah.......... etc. etc.. Umm, yes, they offered kinda info. But. Well, I really don't know. :(

Do we no longer sustain your attention or amusment Water? :eek:

Look, for example, I really do want to know how you think about Oscar Wilder, cz he was such a controversial author at that time; I really want to know why you like or do not like Davin chi code; i really want to know why the book Fahrenheit 451 is so great book to you; and I really want to know what would you do if you were that Jefferson in A lesson before dying. ...............so much , so much.., I really want to know what you think aoubt those.but, I just still kept wondering bymeslf. well, maybe I am not brave enough to open those threads.

Sorry, am I complaining?? Nah, no, I am not. :p

Best regards, :)

watercrystal said:
Look, for example, I really do want to know how you think about Oscar Wilder, cz he was such a controversial author at that time; I really want to know why you like or do not like Davin chi code; i really want to know why the book Fahrenhight 451 is so great book to you; and I really want to know what would you do if you were that Jefferson in A lesson before dying. ...............so much , so much.., I really want to know what you think aoubt those.but, I just still kept wondering bymeslf. well, maybe I am not brave enough to open those threads.

Sorry, am I complaining?? Nah, no, I am not. :p

Best regards, :)

All you have to do is ask :) ....I have to head to work right now, but I would be more than happy to talk with you about those that I know. No worries Crystal....but a question unasked if likely to remain unanswered. ;) Have a good night!

True@1stLight said:
All you have to do is ask :) ....I have to head to work right now, but I would be more than happy to talk with you about those that I know. No worries Crystal....but a question unasked if likely to remain unanswered. ;) Have a good night!

Would be very pleasant to talk with you about those. and yes, Good night! :)

Good idea Ruzi. I've added those two to member's profile options.

I've also added the "currently reading" details to the member list.

You can also search for members based on what they are reading now or reading next.

I quite like the currently reading thread. It generates discussion on the books in question at least some of the time (an effect that editing your profile doesn't quite accomplish).

As an additional extra though, I don't see the harm in it.

I suggest that at least "currently reading" is shown in the threads as well. It could replace the post count which doesn't have any useful purpose as far as I can tell. If anything a visible post count cause more harm than good as it promotes quantity instead of quality.

Instead of an immortal thread with dozens of pages and thousands of responses I suggest a "Currently reading" forum. I've seen it work in other book forums. Threads to announce current reads on the other hand is something that I avoid since they've always been inhospitable.

Darren, would it also be possible to make it so that we can sort by "currently reading"? That way, if we wanted to quickly see what everyone is reading, we wouldn't have to wade through all of those who have nothing entered in that field. Right now, you can only sort by User Name, Join Date, and Posts.

Yeah, I reckon. It would just be nice if they all could be shoved to the beginning of the list with a click of the mouse.

Alphabetical by first letter in the entry.

I don't think that there are many newcomers that read all the 50+ pages or even the dozen latest pages to participate in the discussion in the "currently reading thread".

Back