• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading?

I'm of the opinion that multiple threads is not a problem, there's a difference between "currently reading" and "just finished reading." Anyway, as the threads are large and unwieldy, I've wondered if we should just have a new one every month or something.

Anyway...

Ashlea said:
I'm of the opinion that multiple threads is not a problem, there's a difference between "currently reading" and "just finished reading." Anyway, as the threads are large and unwieldy, I've wondered if we should just have a new one every month or something.

Thant sounds like a plan to me (or maybe every 3 months).

Well apart from adding the currently reading to the profile, is it possible to add 3 more boxes, saying '3 books you loved?' (not necessarily 3 favourites as these change). That way when someone slates/commends a book (think Mile-O with Da Vinci Code), it's easy to just click on the profile and see what type of books that reader enjoys, so you get an idea of what the poster is comparing againt. You may also be tempted to try out one or two of these books. The veterans of this board may already know each other's tastes, but won't know the tastes of a new member, nor will a new member know everyone else's vices.

fluffy bunny said:
Well apart from adding the currently reading to the profile, is it possible to add 3 more boxes, saying '3 books you loved?' (not necessarily 3 favourites as these change). That way when someone slates/commends a book (think Mile-O with Da Vinci Code), it's easy to just click on the profile and see what type of books that reader enjoys, so you get an idea of what the poster is comparing againt.

That, my friend, is an excellent idea. :)

Mort said:
Darren, would it also be possible to make it so that we can sort by "currently reading"? That way, if we wanted to quickly see what everyone is reading, we wouldn't have to wade through all of those who have nothing entered in that field. Right now, you can only sort by User Name, Join Date, and Posts.

recently, i've been getting less and less patient to wade through all the posts to search a certain book which been read by some member. would 1oo% agree to shorten that "current reading thread". or as other suggested that it need to be re-organized in a more proper order. :) but, that would be loads of work.

The "currently reading" thread, to me, seems completely redundant. It doesn't allow for any discussion or continuity on one book, because everyone's just chiming in, making it just a big list.

Personally, I don't think it's a site-organizational problem so much as people choosing to post about their current/recent reads there rather than starting a dedicated thread that can be followed on over time.

To a large extent, a forum like this is a self-organizing system, and it's up to members to post where and what will open discussion, rather than just spew out tiny bits of information.

For instance, why post under "currently reading" that you are reading a Stephen King book, instead of starting or joining in on a Stephen King thread where you could discuss something real.

If I read about a book I'm interested in on the "currently reading" thread, I mostly don't think I should reply there, because the chances of having a continued, engaged discussion there are slim. It's just a catalogue, and what's the point of that?

"currently reading thread" can be a thread of book lists of what members have been reading.

if anyone like to have more deep furthur discussion aobut a certain book, they can open another particular thread for it.

how about that?

PS: hehe, found that i am just helping to make things in order, which is what i am always reluctant to do. whatever.

I still kinda like the idea behind the 'currently reading'-thread - it's a nice and quick way to find out what everybody is reading, without having to browse through numerous discussion-threads. Mind, I'm not saying that the discussion-threads are a bad thing, on the contrary, but why not let the two phenomena co-exist - a comprehensive 'currently reading'-thread, and the seperate discussion-threads.

Cheers

I'm with novella on this. Especially with the "currently reading" function on your profile, that thread has become a bit redundant, no?

I'm a bit torn on this one. I do like the currently reading section as it's easy for people to participate, and does encourage some discussion unlike the box in the user profile.

On the other hand (I'll admit to being party to this myself), it's easy to fall into the trap of just posting there and not engaging in a proper discussion which should take place in a separate thread (look at the life of Pi thread- it's had a discussion which overshadows discuusion of individual books in the 'currently reading').

Do you want someone to go through the currently reading thread and start discussions on those books which 3 or more people seem to have read? :confused:

I like the thread :)

I like looking though what people are currently reading. Should I click on every ones profile to see what they are reading right now? Even If I do that, how do I start up a conversation in an easy manner?

This is a great thread because everybody can see what everybody else is reading and then, if they choose, everybody can talk about said book.

Anyway, it's a bit redundant asking if the thread is redundant because it's here and since it's not in violation of forum rules it's not going anywhere! So, if you like it, read it and post to it. If you don't like it don't read it and don't post to it.

That's what really gets to me. Everybody has to try to tell everybody what they can or cannot do, can or cannot say, what is or is not a good thread, or what you can or cannot joke about, or what is appropriate and what is not.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! If you don't like said thread, joke, discussion, point of view, posting... just ignore it instead of trying to force your views on everybody. I could never be so arrogant as to think I know what is worthy or not. What should be said or what should not be said!!!

Same with the forum. If you think it's too jokey or too spammy, then go eslewhere. Don't read the forum. Nobody is forcing you to. If you think it's too serious. You want total freedom on the forum and you want to joke constantly and spam constantly, but you are not able to... then same thing. Just go some other place.

tolenrence is the key :)

PS: Not directed at anybody. Not directed at previous posters who commeted on this thread either. Like I said, the subject has been in my heart for awhile and this was a good time to air it! Just taking the chance to have a mini rant :)

I can add more fields to the user profile for something like

- Top three books of all time
- Top three author of all time

For the "currently reading" thread we could either

- Close the current thread and open a new one each month
- Keep the current very long thread.

I'd personally say that starting a new one each month would be a better option.

I've now added "Top Three Books" and "Top Three Authors" to the user profile additional info area. You can edit this by going to the UserCP and selction "edit profile".

I've also added the "currently reading" bit below people's usertitle so we can see at a glance what people are reading at the moment.

Nifty. Though, I don't hope this will lead to many 'mock-titles', titles supposed to be funny.

Cheers

Back