• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished (literally 5 minutes ago) 'Skinny Legs and All' by Tom Robbins. Absolutely loved it!

Next read (which I'll start in.. well, 5 minutes, I guess) is 'Blindness' by Jose Saramago. I've heard and read marvellous things about this book, so I'm quite excited about it!

You know, why wait a full 5 minutes?!

Cheers, (an eager to read) Martin :D

"Blindness" is great, Martin. And has a great underlying philosophical message.But is a little frightening, don't read it at night.
By the way, you have a new face?A plastic surgery?

Yeah, I was sick and tired of the green hair, so I decided to just go bald!

Thanks for the advice on 'Blindness', by the way, now I'll be sure to read it at night!

Cheers, Martin :D

Just about to finish The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman but also reading Tariq Ali's The Clash of Fundamentalisms.

Next, for some light relief, it's going to have to be be Patricia Cornwell's Blowfly.

Dont ya just love this thread :D

Just Finished: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan; HP 1 & 2 by J.K. Rowling (my Chrimbo time re-reads of the series!)
Currently reading: Broken Angels by Richard Morgan
Up Next: Angels & Demons by Dan Brown; The Reality Disfunction by Peter F. Hamilton :)

Phil

Just finished Dead Calm by Iain Banks, reading Rogue States by Noam Chomsky, what a screwed up world we live in!

John.

Finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and have to say it is the best book I have read in years. (see up for plot summary)

Then I read "The Last Samurai" by Helen DeWitt (no connection to the Tom Cruise film), interesting read in that she has tried to create a new style of writing, challenging the conventions of storytelling and using grammer in a very innovative way, story is about a single mother in London who tries to use the film Seven Samurai by Kurosawa as the father figure in her genius child's life.

Currently reading "John F. Kennedy - An Unfinished Life" by Robert Dallek, don't read alot of biographies but this one stands out, well written and researched it really gives a new insight into the life of an important 20th C figure.

Next read is "The Discovery of Slowness" by Sten Nadolny, have to admit it was the cover that first attracted me to this title and after reading a few passages and the very good reviews on the sleeve I am looking forward to starting it.

I have just read Ken Follett's Hornet Flight. It is excellent! Set in Danmark in 1941, during the German occupation. Being Danish myself, I find it most interesting - and very well researched. I only discovered one tiny "mistake".

Now I am reading a biography of a former Danish politician and prime minister, Jens Otto Krag. It is written by Bo Lidegaard, and is quite good. Gives you a very good inside in Danish political history from 1930-1970 (roughly).

I am also reading (for the first time) Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Sallinger. I enjoy the spoken language it is written in.

Hobitten

I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for the second time now I've seen all the films. It's interesting seeing how the film differs from the book! I'm up to the council of Elrond in The Fellowship of the Ring. :)

I'm reading "The Masters" by C. P. Snow, one of the early novels in the "Sons and Brothers" series which is set in the corridors of power, academica and the law in the first half of the twentieth century. This particular novel, as its title hints, focuses on the internal politics of a fictitious Cambridge college in the late 1930s. Apart from a class connection it is very different to my previous novel, John Buchan's Hannay novel, "Greenmantle". The latter was action-packed, boys own stuff. "The Masters" is much more sedate, but has plenty of intrigue of a more subtle nature. It is also a very attractive paperback, with hardback quality paper rather than that rough stuff more commonly found these days.

Away from fiction, I'm less than thirty pages from completing "The Asquiths" about which I have posted a short message in the non-fiction area of the forum.

I'm currently reading the well-known American classic 'The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. Well, I'm reading a Dutch translation of it, for educational purposes. I'm going to have to compare certain aspects of the translation to the original; theme, characters, development of the story, et al...

I'm loving the book, though. I'm sure I'm gonna read the original to, some day!

I don't fully understand what you are going to do with the text. Will you have different translations of "The catcher in the Rye" and compare and contrast them to find the best one? Or the one which is most accurate with the form and meaning of the original? It's hard for to me to imagine that an original book and a translation differ in characters or developement of the story, unless it's a very poor translation.

Well, we're going to compare this translation (made in 1989) with two other, older translations (from '55 and .. err .. a bit older), and see what different choices the different translators made, considering vocabulary and such.

After that we're going to compare it to the original. You see, when a translation is made there are always going to be, what we call 'shifts', slight (very slight) changes in theme or character profile or some such thing, simply because you cannot convey these aspects exactly the same as in the original. Language (different languages) does not allow that. What we're going to do is locate these shifts, categorise them, and compare them with the shifts from the other translations, and compare these fragments (containing the shifts) to the original text. That way we can see if the change is of any influence on the way a reader perceives the story.

Hope that cleared it up for you, Phil.

Different translations make a WORLD of difference. Pick up something really old, like The Odyssey, and compare a Victorian era translation to one done 20 years ago to Robert Fagles. Translations are always a product of their age, as language changes slowly over time, vocabulary and grammar both.

Unfortunately, The Magic Flute, one of my favorite operas, is usually performed in English here (which is another issue altogether) and the libretto translation is 30 years old. It just sounds hokey.

Originally posted by Martin
Hope that cleared it up for you, Phil.

Yes, it perfectly did.

Idun
(who is the person having asked for clarification and argues that there is NO remarkable resemblance between her and Phil):p

As for the quality of different translations, tones of paper can be written about that. I sometimes start to think that some translators don't fully understand the importance of their work in making readers able to appreciate the beauty of the author's language, or understanding the message that he wanted to communicate. I agree that there may be (and are) serious differences between various translations, but to my mind the age of translation is not the matter. Some older translations may seem incomprehensible to a modern reader; nevertheless, they can be simultaneously a perfect communication of the author's ideas, just described with old-fashioned vocabulary. More modern doesn't necessarily mean better. In some cases, old-fashioned language is even more justifiable and appriopriate, if the book was originally written in, let's say, 15th century. The usage of an old-fashioned words sounds more natural in knights' mouths.

I read most of the books in translation, so this matter deeply interests me. How angry I was when I came across an edition of my beloved "Ann of Green Gables" with grammatical mistakes, which made it totally unreadable!

By the way, a good translator may have a huge impact on how the book is viewed by people! In Poland, we have an absolutely perfect, old translations of two books for children: Winnie the Pooh by Irena Tuwim and Anne of Green Gables - don't know the name of a translator, though. Funny is, that Winnie is called there Jimmy, and Rachel Linde - Margaret. Nowadays, for instance when new Disney's films are released, Winnie is still reffered to as Jimmy, and Rachel as Margaret (with they real names sometimes being clearly heard in the background!), even though different translators write the texts!

Another digression: in some film, a word "hamlet" was translated (or rathet left without translating) as Hamlet = Prince of Denmark, instead of a "cottage". Which made no sense, of course.:D

I've just seen there are 100 posts in this thread. Isn't this a record?

Idun originally posted:
Another digression: in some film, a word "hamlet" was translated (or rathet left without translating) as Hamlet = Prince of Denmark, instead of a "cottage". Which made no sense, of course
In fact, it makes so little sense that I don't understand it one bit!!

Anyway, I agree with you on everything you said. However, you have to keep in mind that translating is a very difficult trade. You have to know (really know) what the author of the original is talking about; if there are underlying messages, you have to know them; if there are thematic variatons throughout the book, you have to know them; etc . . .

This means that a translator doesn't only need to know the target-language, and his/her own, perfectly, he also has to have a very good understanding of how to read, to deconstruct literary texts, or else he/she might miss out on all kinds of layers.

With all these difficulties in mind, it's not so strange that sometimes a translation can be completen nonsense, in regard to the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back