• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Not as good as Bleak House or Great Expectations, but I enjoyed it very much.
I read "A Handmaid's Tale." What is Oryx and Crake about?

I read "A Handmaid's Tale." What is Oryx and Crake about?
Like Handmaid's Tale, it's set in the not-too-distant future - i.e. some characters can still remember our current time. If you thought Handmaid's Tale was scary, try Oryx and Crake. Scared the bejeebers out of me! In a nutshell, combine bio-technology, un-earned entitlement, a psycho-genius, and corporate greed to result in disaster.

There's a review in our Library and also a discussion in the Fiction section. (Click the Library button at top of page, type Oryx and Crake in the search area.) The review doesn't contain spoilers, but the discussion does - so beware.

A 'spoiler' is a comment or post that "spoils" the book for others. It gives away the ending or pertinent details about the plot that most readers would want to find out on their own - eg. the "whodunnit" in a whodunnit novel.

Nothing worse than to be reading a post then suddenly learn the climactic ending of a book you're reading or plan to read.

We encourage people to be considerate of those who haven't read the book and either use the "Spoiler" button (found next to the other posting tags) within a post or announce in the heading if the entire thread will contain spoilers.

btw, there are no dumb questions! :)

Thanks!
I'm currently reading "A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. A little too overdone for my tastes.

Just Finished: Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Currently Reading: Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman
Next Read: Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

Mxx

I'm finishing Intruder in the dust. Another Faulkner's analysis of the mechanisms which were the basis of racism on the American South. Warning: very difficult in reading with the main character being referred to as "he", which results in some problems with figuring out "who did what".

I've just started David Adams Richard's "River of the Broken Hearted". I have read a few of his and really enjoyed them. So far, this one is also really good - I love the way he writes. His books are definitely not happy books, but wonderful nonetheless.

Well, now I've moved on to The Ice Limit by Douglas Presong and Lincoln Child. As I'm only on page 30, I can't say what I think. As for what I just read, A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George, it was okay...

BAMBOO by David Namerow. An obsure title lurking near a library checkout line that called out to me. Exotic, engaging, and a read that carries me away from bodice busters, conspiracies, the angst of soul searching, and techie spy games.

Collin

BAMBOO?

Just happened across your post Collin, and couldn't believe it. Somebody at our reading group mentioned BAMBOO and I ignored the reference. Now, I may just hunt for it. Thanks.

Delia

I've just started to re-read The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. I started to read it a few years ago but got too busy and couldnt finish it and now I want to finish reading it tomorrow so I can go out and buy a new book :) (not sure which one quite yet).

Its an interesting book; I think I would recommend it... its difficult to explain about it, its one of those books where I guess you have to read it to find out what you think of it. Its a bit strange but its also quite intriguing. I think particularly young women will enjoy and perhaps relate to it :) hope that helps...

Now I am going to start Catcher in the Rye. I was torn between Catcher and To Kill a Mockingbird (trying to read those books on that BBC list), but I couldn't find my copy of Mockingbird, so Catcher it is.

I started 'Kiss the Girls' by James Patterson on Sunday afternoon. Finished it Monday. Fab book!!
Think I'm away to read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote. I noticed someone mentioned it on the forum earlier. I've had it for a few years but never got round to reading it.

I've just started "Judicial Whispers" by Caro Fraser, see http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=8232#post8232

I'm overlapping this with finishing "No Great Mischief" by Canadian author Alistair McLeod. It's about several generations of a Canadian clan, descended from an eighteenth century Scottish immigrant. It's won awards and is very highly praised on it's jacket by, among others, Margaret Atwood. Though I have to say, whilst it is very well written, and there are some poignant moments, I have found it rather dull. It is certainly not imprinting itself on my mind in the way I was told it would in the blurb.

I just finished Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country", his travel narrative about Australia. It's not to bad, more into history and such, but good none the less. I also just began and am 1/3 done with "Something Wicked This Way Comes", by Ray Bradbury. So far it's about an 8/10, the only problem being that the two young main characters are a little too cheesy in their dialogue.

I've just finished Pratchett's NIght Watch and really enjoyed it, so I've decided to go back and read the whole Discworld series in order! Should keep me quiet for a while! :D

I am in the middle of Marian Keyes - Rachel's Holiday. All of Marian Keyes books are a hoot. She's a British author, the books are all pretty long - 600 pages or more, but they're quick reads and very enjoyable.

My next read will be Blow Fly - Patricia Cornwell, that I just picked up at the library today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back