• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Litany said:
Someone else mentioned it before me, but I have indeed read it. Lots of swashes to be buckled, but it does get a little odd at times. And there were some bits further towards the end that I struggled through, but there are so many good fight scenes. Everyone loves a wench with a sword and a bad attitude.

It's been a few yrs since I read it. Agree with Litany on the weird part of the book which can make it dense in places. Great character work though.

Looks like I'll be here every few days with an update! :)

I'm reading Charles de Lint for the first time. Just finished Greenmantle and am now on Dreams Underfoot.

Just finished The Finishing School by Gail Godwin. It had a wonderful characterization of the narrator's memories of being 14, she captures the essence of that age. Some of the other characters are very well drawn, as well. Unfortunately, there's no plot, or at least, not enough to support an entire novel. So, not a recommend unless you're trying to understand what it's like to be a "sensitive" teenage girl.

Might try a little more of "Out of Africa" and I'll see about War and Peace.

{Tigress} said:
Looks like I'll be here every few days with an update! :)

I'm reading Charles de Lint for the first time. Just finished Greenmantle and am now on Dreams Underfoot.

I have read quite a few of Lint's books and find them wonderful! He has a very lyrical style. If you like Greenmantle then you should tryMoon Heart by him! It's, IMHO, his best one :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
I have read quite a few of Lint's books and find them wonderful! He has a very lyrical style. If you like Greenmantle then you should tryMoon Heart by him! It's, IMHO, his best one :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well looky here... the first book to put on my new "To Read" list. Thanks. :)

Right now I'm trying to get through The Brother's Karamazov, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. A friend told me its good once it gets going. I took a break from it a couple days ago and read my first Dean Koontz book, "Intensity" and gobbled it up in one sitting. It was quite a thriller!

I am currently reading Survivor from Chuck Palahniuk. Being a Belgian, it's a little bit too hard to grasp all the ideas and twists in the book. And twisted it definitely is. It is a very sge style of writing, maybe a little bit comparable to Brett Easton Ellis, but still even weirder. Don't think it will grow as being one of my fav novels.

msm

{Tigress} said:
Well looky here... the first book to put on my new "To Read" list. Thanks. :)

You're welcome :)

And I am currently reading The Ghost that Haunted Itself by Jan Andrew Henderson.

It's a non-fiction title ( rare thing for me! ) and it about a haunted in Scotland by a very evil spirit. Actually, it's pretty interesting and spooky goodness!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Just finished Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, which was ok, but not great. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it right now, but most of my TBR pile is packed, so I had limited choices.

Now onto The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, can't go wrong with the zaniness of Douglas Adams.

SillyWabbit said:
I read Space Machine... :D

Let me know what you think of it!

I finished it a few nights ago. I enjoy stories of turn of the century England so I got into it at first. It slowed down toward the middle when I thought it got too descriptive and there wasn't enough diaologue.

Overall not bad but could have been better. I suppose it held true to Wells though.

I'm now a short way into Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith. So far it seems very promising...but don't tell Martin I said that. :D

RaVeN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back