• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just starting Killing Time by Caleb Carr it seems interesting so far. I just finished the four Elminster books by Ed Greenwood they were fairly good though the first Elminster: The Making Of A Mage was definitely the best and a few steps up from the other three.

Originally posted by Dave B
I'd be really interested in what you think of this book Stephen.

I've long admired / enjoyed his TV travel programmes and often toyed with the thought of picking up the (inevitable) accompanying BBC book. I’ve only hesitant because most of the charm / interest / humour of the programmes are visual and people based. Does he write with the same humour and does he bring out the feeling of the places he visits ?

I'm half way through the book and so far it's very interesting. His writing does bring out the feeling of the places he visits and there is a touch of humour in the book, that is the same as the programme. In saying that I must admit I prefer the programme, mainly because I'm more of a visual person.

I'm enjoying the book enough to pick up Around the World in 80 Days and Pole to Pole when I've finished Full Circle.

As with you I was interested in the books because I enjoyed the programmes so much. I missed the Sahara programmes though when they where on, so I will have to wait and see if they repeat the programme in the future. Knowing the BBC I will not have to wait for very long.;)

Thanks for the views :)

Originally posted by Stephen
I missed the Sahara programmes though when they where on
I thought that Sahara was his best for a while, mostly because of the people he met along the way and that this time out he made little attempt to pretend that the camera crew weren't there, which added to the authenticity. The only criticism would be that it was a long trip (70 + days IIRC) and it was all squeezed into a handful of programmes (4 or 6 ?).

I would like to see him do a 'light but serious' series on an area of the world and spread it over many episodes (10 or 12 ?) and really get under the surface of a culture and it’s people. Maybe Far East or South America or some such. I think he could marry the culture, humour, people side of an area while not flinching from showing the darker sides to some regimes, poverty etc. Sort of half way between what he does now and a full investigative reporter thing. Bringing the world with all it’s colour and warts into or living rooms.

Dave B.

Following the discussion about Dark Tower references in the Gunslinger thread, I picked up a copy of The Talisman this morning and started reading it this afternoon.

Also starting Emma by Jane Austen.

Originally posted by Nicole2112
The Lovely Bones was very very good. It is a book that just took my breath away. I hope you read it, Dawn.

Hi Nicole

I also read The Lovely Bones just recently. It was such a wonderful book I didn't want it to end. I would urge you to read it too, Dawn.

Cheers, Vicky

Ell, I really enjoyed The Talisman. I somehow missed that one when it first came out, but read it shortly before Black House was released. Talisman is now one of my favorite King books.

Nicole and Vicky. I finally read The Lovely Bones. I read it in two sittings, staying up until 4 a.m. to finish it! I was quite taken with it. Deceptively simple. Very subtle. I highly recommend it.

I'm rereading The Sword of Shannara. I want to read the rest of the Shannara books, so I thought I'd go back to the roots.

I am glad you enjoyed it Dawn. It certainly is the type of book you find hard to put down. The editor of Doubleday Book Club here read it in one sitting, and she loved it as well.

I am reading Virgin by Robin Maxwell at the moment. It is about Elizabeth I and her relationship with her brother, Catherine Parr and her new husband.

I love English history, especially anything to do with Henry VIII, so this book fits the bill.

Cheers, Vicky

I just finished the Postman, by David Brin and Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Both excellent Sci Fi tales.

Footfall is an encounter with an alien species of the
not-so-friendly variety and the Postman is devoid of anyone as stupid as Kevin Costner makes the main character look in the movie the Postman. Good reads all.

What am I reading at moment? Why I am reading 'Post Captain' by Patrick O'Brian. I didn't get on with 'Eminence' finished 'Night Watch' a little jaded by it.
'Post Captain' is one of the best books I have. Read and reread.

i'm about 150 pages into the corrections by jonathan franzen,
it's certainly as good as i've been hoping & i'm glad i stuck it on my xmas list.:cool:

Starting our book of the month, Forge of God by Greg Bear.

However, I also picked up a copy of Black House and American Gods at the same time, so who knows which one I'll end up finishing first? :)

I picked up a copy of American Gods myself the other day, so that's what I'm reading next. I couldn't find myself a copy of Forge of God...

The Talisman

Dawn, wanted to let you know I just finished The Talisman and really enjoyed it. Now looking forward to Black House.

Just finished reading "White Noise" by Don Dellilo and am about halfway through All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson. It's a sequel to Idoru.

White Noise was funny and worth reading, kind of like Tom Robbins but less corny and less preachy. Unfortunately, also less satisfying.

I'm really enjoying All Tomorrow's Parties, though. Gibson is becoming one of my favorite authors. He's a prophet.

I have just finished Virgin, by Robin Maxwell. It is about the life of Elizabeth I, Henry VIII daughter who eventually takes the throne.

I love tudor history, so this is a fabulous book. I hope you are enjoying yours Glenda.

Cheers, Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back