• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil Homer said:
Who'd have thought a 19th century poet would inspire a wrestling catchphrase?

Which wrestling catchphrase???

I currently read Der Prozess by Franz Kafka, i guess the translation of the title would be The Trial but i'm not 100% sure about that!!
Right now i'm somewhere between page 40 and 50 and love it ;)

Currently Reading 'Die Glut' by the Hungarian writer Sándor Márai, English title is 'Embers'.
I really like it. It's about the relationship between two old men who haven't seen each other for 41 years, when one of them fled after some incident. I'm more than halfway through and still have no idea what happened 41 years ago, just some suspicions..

Next will be 'Früchte des Zorns' (Grapes of Wrath) by John Steinbeck and 'Das Schloss, darin sich Erinnerungen kreuzen' (The Castle of Crossed Destinies) by Italo Calvino.

Currently listening to the audio book 'Die Elenden (Les Miserables)' by Victor Hugo. Heavily abridged version, though.

Rigana said:
Currently listening to the audio book 'Die Elenden (Les Miserables)' by Victor Hugo. Heavily abridged version, though.

I have to be desperate to listen to an abridged version of a book that I respect, but sometimes that's the only version one can get!

I just finished reading "The Water-Method Man" by Updike, and I enjoyed it; as an Updike fan, I really could tell that it was one of his earlier books.

It's also kind of fun to read a book in which everybody is having babies left and right with no apparent social ramifications, while at the same time reading a book about a period of time -- not so long ago -- when an extramarital affair and the resulting pregnancy were world-shattering events (Anna Karenina.)

StillILearn said:
I have to be desperate to listen to an abridged version of a book that I respect, but sometimes that's the only version one can get!

The thing is, I didn't want to get this audio book. I made a mistake while ordering books at the library, but I thought to myself that I could at least give it a try. I always thought I wouldn't like audio books..

But it is quite a difference to 'The hunchback of Notre-Dame', which I read in an unabridged version.

Maybe I'll read 'Les Miserables' in the summer when I'm in Paris.

Maybe I'll read 'Les Miserables' in the summer when I'm in Paris.[/QUOTE said:
You're going to Paris this summer? Maybe I am, too. (My first trip to Europe.) I'm thinking of getting Pinsleur's French language CD. Parlez vous Francaise?

:cool:

Harry Gamblor said:
I currently read Der Prozess by Franz Kafka, i guess the translation of the title would be The Trial but i'm not 100% sure about that!!

You are correct, sir.
Damn, damn fine book.

StillILearn said:
I just finished reading "The Water-Method Man" by Updike, and I enjoyed it; as an Updike fan, I really could tell that it was one of his earlier books.

Hmmmmm, are you so much of an Updike fan that you are crediting him with writing some of John Irving’s books??? ;)

But yes, early. If you meant Irving, it’s his second novel.
If you meant Updike, you must have a special non-published edition.

(Although I don’t know why I’m getting all itchy over this as I find them both boooooooooooooooorrrrrring and uninspiring as helllllllllllll.)

Haven’t put down the Eco essays yet…
j

StillILearn said:
You're going to Paris this summer? Maybe I am, too. (My first trip to Europe.) I'm thinking of getting Pinsleur's French language CD. Parlez vous Francaise?

:cool:

I'm planning the trip with some friends.
I learned French in school for 5 years and was fairly good at it, but I haven't used it for nearly a year. I still got all my school books and some french children's books, though. It shouldn't be that hard to get into it again.

i'm halfway through Tess of the D'Urbervilles. it's better than i thought it would be. i get so frustrated reading novels like this, though. the waste created by the restrictions and gender bias of proper society is maddening to me. i would not have done well back then

I'm about to read The High Lord, the final part of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy. Actually, I'm putting off starting it, because I don't want the series to end! :eek:

I'm almost done with my Chemistry textbook. I've read 700 pages out of 1000 so far. Since I'm busy reading, I haven't posted a lot recently. I don't think I will have time to post much again until I finish the whole textbook. It's really fascinating. Anyone who loves Chemistry should read it. It's called Chemistry: Matter and Change

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan

I just started it and I've got to say, I'm not really digging it. The idea is alright, but the writing style is WAY to conversational. I'm just a few pages in, so I am hoping it gets better.

I am actually reading 3 books right now:
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
My Antonia - Willa Cather (beautifully written!)
Adventures in Legal Land - Marc Stevens (this book is basically about how the law and the court systems misuse their power. very libertarian :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back