• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current Reading

Am currently reading "The Awakening" by L.A. Banks. This is the 2nd book in the Vampire Huntress Legend series and I have to say that Banks has done a great job of creating a new mythos.

"Minion" is the first in the series and I enjoyed it very much. I see shades of Blade in the book, as well as a much more sophisticated Buffy but there are layers to Banks' world that you just don't find in the others.

Am looking forward to getting the 3rd book and continuing the journey...

What I Am Reading

I am reading goodfellas by nicholas pileggi at the moment has anyone read it cause i would love some feed back thanks ruby

I just finished Stephen King: From a Buck 8. I'm not sure what to start next. Think I might start reading Lord of the Rings of Terry Goodkind's: Wizards First Rule. Time for something different than a horror book. :)

cabrasopa said:
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand.Haven't seen film yet, book is very good so far.

This is one instance wherein the book doesn't spoil the film, and the film doesn't spoil the book. But the book was better.

I have just finished Monstrosity by Edward Lee, and am now reading the Harry Potter series over to refresh my memory for the new one. {Haven’t read those books in a good couple of years}

ruby said:
I am reading goodfellas by nicholas pileggi at the moment has anyone read it cause i would love some feed back thanks ruby

I read it last year and loved it...actually, I think I've reread it two times already...
It is very similar to the movie, but with much more details, and with some parts which weren't included in it.
Let me know what you thought of it.

The Forgotten Man - Robert Crais
Along side
7 types of ambiguity - Elliot Perlman (which I wil be reading for a long tim)

lani

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. About 40 pages in. Maybe I'm having trouble changing mental gears from the Michener I just read but I haven't been blown away by the writing quality yet.

Ira Levin

I'm reading Sliver by Ira Levin. It's pretty damn good, I haven't been able to put it down. "Erotic" was one of the words used to describe it, but over one hundred pages into it, I don't really think of it as that. "Obsession" on the other hand is portrayed nicely.

Normally when I read, I write all over it (in the margins, etc...), underlining sentences (phrases that seem quotable), but Levin's writing isn't very quotable.

His stories are intriguing and are easily understood, but his writing is very simple.

Anyway, Sliver is an interesting look at voyeurism; a great read especially now considering all the damn reality shows ("reality" shows, however, loses all meaning of the word "reality" - people act differently when they know they're on camera; voyeurism, as stated in the book is a "God's-eye view of life, a sliver of it").

This is the 3rd Levin book I've read - the others: Rosemary's Baby & Stepford Wives. I like this more than Stepford Wives.

Currently reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. My next read will be Palindrome Hannah by our very own sirmky. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I'm having trouble getting through The Witching Hour although it is a good read it's a long read. It takes Mrs. Rice forever to make one point. Anyway happy reading!!

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I chose this book because I just finished a book yesterday, and I needed something to fill in the two day gap before HBP comes out on Saturday. It's a great read so far; I really like the unique way in which the story is presented.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. I figure it'll take just over an hour to read so tomorrow I'll be here posting a different book.

MonkeyCatcher said:
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I chose this book because I just finished a book yesterday, and I needed something to fill in the two day gap before HBP comes out on Saturday. It's a great read so far; I really like the unique way in which the story is presented.

do you like the lovely bones? i thought it was so amazing...almost too sad to read, but couldn't put it down..

ions said:
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. I figure it'll take just over an hour to read so tomorrow I'll be here posting a different book.

Journey by James A. Michener.

ricky said:
do you like the lovely bones? i thought it was so amazing...almost too sad to read, but couldn't put it down..

It was incredibly moving, but at the same time, I found it very uplifting. I liked the concept, and found it very comforting.

ricky said:

Yeah I'm really liking it so far (I havn't been able to read it much because I have got work and assessments to do for school). I see what you mean by too sad to read, some parts of the book really hit a chord and I think about it for awhile afterwards. I think that this book is really amazing. I really love the idea of the story and Sebold really knows how to play on ones emotions. My favourite idea in the book so far is the way in heaven is different depending on the person viewing it. Absolutely brilliant.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I really love the idea of the story and Sebold really knows how to play on ones emotions.

Indeed, gawd awful writing and insipid storytelling always pissing me off to red rage.

MonkeyCatcher said:
My favourite idea in the book so far is the way in heaven is different depending on the person viewing it. Absolutely brilliant.

This is *hardly* some new or original idea…and just for the record, there’s no sodding such thing as an “elbow bone”.

So as to not be a totally thread derailer:
Just started Karin Fossum’s horribly mistranslated titled _Calling Out For You!_ (and, yes, with the pathetic exclamation mark(!)), it simply should be titled _Beloved Poona_.
j

jay said:
This is *hardly* some new or original idea…and just for the record, there’s no sodding such thing as an “elbow bone”.

I was aware that it was most probably not something new, but this is the first book that I have read that integrates this idea. I personally adore the book, regardless of flaws such as the "elbow bone". Harry Potter has flaws such as the fact that a snake winked in the first book, Rowling having totally forgotten that snakes don't have eyelids, yet this book is still loved world-wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back