• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wabbit said:
I have Interview with a Vampire in my TBR pile. At the moment I am reading two books at once ( a first ). I am reading Dracula before bed. I am finding it a bit dull. I might switch to the Anne Rice book :)

I read Bram Stoker's Dracula a couple of years ago, it was okay in the first third of the book because it seemed as though it would get really exciting. But it never did. I will not burn any Anne Rice (person nor book), Jay, but I will perhaps check out this I Am Legend book you are speaking of. If I remember it, which is not very likely, though.

Fistandantilus said:
I have finished War Of The Worlds and I am now on page 299 of Raymond E. Feist's "Talon Of The Silver Hawk" and I love it. I am also reading "Time Machine" on my PDA

I liked War of the Worlds. Was a good book. I really liked the language used and sentence structure. Those Victorians really new how to throw a sentence together. :)

Jay said:
Fer the love of gawd just read:

_I am Legend_ (1954) by Richard Matheson

Burn your Ann Rice, you’ll feel better. And it’ll keep you warm.

I do really want to get around to I am Legend as I have heard NOTHING but good regarding the novel. One day I shall get around to it! So many books! So few breaths before the candle light bent over the pages :)

Anne Rice... Will let you know :D It's been a long time wanting to read her after also hearing many a good thing... time will tell!

Umbrella said:
I read Bram Stoker's Dracula a couple of years ago, it was okay in the first third of the book because it seemed as though it would get really exciting. But it never did. I will not burn any Anne Rice (person nor book), Jay, but I will perhaps check out this I Am Legend book you are speaking of. If I remember it, which is not very likely, though.

Hmmm the Dracula novel just seems so dry to me. The choice of words are not very evocative and the book just is not even creepy. Maybe my mind has been poisoned by too many movies!

Umbrella said:
I read Bram Stoker's Dracula a couple of years ago, it was okay in the first third of the book because it seemed as though it would get really exciting. But it never did.

All these comments on _Dracula_ are not so much the book’s fault but more the instilling of scenes and images that Hollywood has left on us through the years.
The same, you would find, with _Frankenstein_.

Undoubtedly, even with crap like Harry Potter, there will always be the “it’s not as good as the movie” crowd.

BY the by, some of Stoker’s short stories have a bit more ‘umph’ than the novel.

I will not burn any Anne Rice (person nor book)

Hmmm, the person. Well, I didn’t mean that (it wouldn’t keep you that warm), but it’s an interesting thought. Think of all the trees you’d save and the potential good books people would read in the aftermath.
Oh well, I guess we’ll have to leave it at Rice metaphorically “burning” herself every time she opens her mouth or touches a keyboard…

Jay, but I will perhaps check out this I Am Legend book you are speaking of. If I remember it, which is not very likely, though.

They have this nifty set of inventions -get this- called Pen and Paper. One can actually write things down to reflect upon later. They are portable and can even be left by the computer for times like these. It’s nifty.

So do you only read books that are hammered into your head a million times like propaganda?

Ok, I’m being snippy…tip for an espresso…

Oh, generally I don’t talk about what I am ‘currently reading’, as it seems silly to merely list things without an opinion, but as to not be totally a thread annihilator: I’m only 15% into _We Need To Talk About Kevin_ (2003) by Lionel Shriver, but if it keeps this pace of interesting story and out-right kick ass writing, this will easily rank as the best novel written in the last few years. She is really turning a phrase nicely and consistently on ever page.
j

Right now i read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I'm halfway through it already and so far i think it's a great book and on the best way of becoming my favorite Hesse novel.

I'm reading The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell, author of Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine. It's really good, and I'll write a review for the library here when I'm finished reading it. :)

I've just started Brave New World by Auldous Huxley. It's really good but there's something nagging me at the back of my mind. Towards the end of chapter 1 the DHC mentions the foetuses still having gills and later goes on about their tails. Are they crossbreeding fish with humans or is there something i don't know about unborn children? I don't think it's important but if someone could clarify it for me i'd be really grateful.

A_Pensive _Mind said:
I've just started Brave New World by Auldous Huxley. It's really good but there's something nagging me at the back of my mind. Towards the end of chapter 1 the DHC mentions the foetuses still having gills and later goes on about their tails. Are they crossbreeding fish with humans or is there something i don't know about unborn children? I don't think it's important but if someone could clarify it for me i'd be really grateful.
In an early stage the human embryo has gill arches and a tail.

I found a graphic (not a picture) which shows different embryos in different stages. There you can clearly see the tail and the gill arches.

Right now I have a few going, Little Big by John Crowley, Rosslyn By Tim Wallace-Murphy & Marilyn Hopkins, 100 years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Freeks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome by Luke Jackson.

I am currently reading 1st To Die by James Patterson. I love it!!! That's the first book by him that I ever read. I will for sure read the rest in the series and then try out his other books too. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back