• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ashlea, I'll check that out! I hate it when I have to look back in the book just to see who the heck this person or that place or this thing is, ya know?

I am currently reading Anya Seton's Devil Water. This novel takes place in 18 century England and Virginia during the two failed Stuart rebellions. Anya Seton also wrote another of my most favorite novels, Green Darkness. She is by far a very gifted author of historic fiction.

I recently finished THE CRIMSON PETAL AND THE WHITE by Michael Farber.

On my "to be read" list I have several novels by Cynthia Harrod- Eagles. She has written 22 volumes about one family, the Morelands. The first novel begins during the time of the War of the Roses in the 15 century and follows the same family through the Edwardian Era of the early 20th century. I have read her first Morland Dynasty novel, The Founding . I recommend these books to anyone who loves historic fiction.

Originally posted by David181173
Hemingway? I loved "Farewell to Arms", but found "For Whom the Bell Tolls" rather heavy going.

Dear God! I was about to start a Hemingway thread on this subject. Thought Farewell to Arms was excellent. Couldn't even bring myself past the halfway mark in For whom the Bell Tolls. So so boring I found it. Did they ever blow up that damn bridge?

I have not read any other Hemingway.

Just Finished: Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Currently Reading: The Queen's Conjurer by Benjamin Woolley
Up Next: Who knows ... my to read pile is too big to guess!!

Phil

I tend to read 1 book at a time but I'm in the middle of 2 books. Allan Pinkerton- The First Private Eye by James Mackay & Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard. This refers to Timothy Cratchit of Dickens fame. I'm only 100 pages into it but so far it has Tiny Tim grown up with his parents dead (though he keeps seeing his father's face all around) , he's boarding in a brothel while spending nights dredging the Thames for bodies and the treasures they may still have on them, all the while getting a little financial backing from his "Uncle Ebenezer" (loves Uncle N but resents his help). Throw in a mystery of who's killing the little girls that he's finding on his job and some help from a homeless boy named Collin the Melodious and you're as caught up as I am.

previous: sons of fortune by geoffrey archer
current: the adventures of huck finn by mark twain
next: the hunchback of notre dame by ... sumone

Originally posted by Old Bull Lee
Dear God! I was about to start a Hemingway thread on this subject. Thought Farewell to Arms was excellent. Couldn't even bring myself past the halfway mark in For whom the Bell Tolls. So so boring I found it. Did they ever blow up that damn bridge?

Good to see I'm not alone. I can't even remember whether they did blow up the bridge or not!

Recently finished "Eye of the Beholder" - Brian Lysaght.
Away to read "the Dogs of Riga" - Henning Mankell next. Will definitely have to get round to reading "In Cold Blood" -Truman Capote after that. I've been dying to read it for ages and keep forgetting.

In Cold Blood kept me up until 4 in the morning, so you should definitely schedule it when you have some free time.

I went to the bookstore today, yea! Mostly I got fluffy romances for my mom, but I did pick up The Sword of Shannara, which I've never read.

Originally posted by Ashlea
I think the Sun also Rises is my favorite Hemingway. But you should be in good spirits and health before reading it as, like all Hemingway, things tend to go really poorly for the characters.

I guess you must be talking about the bulls and horses :(

Third Man Girl

snow crash - neil stephenson
catcher in the rye - salinger
great civilizations - ?
Get anyone to do anything - Lieberman
Catch 22 - Heller
The Hitchhiker's Trilogy - Adams

Anyone else have tremendous trouble getting through Catch-22? Ive been reading for two months but I cant even get past page 200....same deal with Hitchhiker's....

i hear really good things about Snow Crash.

I am rereading American Gods. I didn't mean to, I have so many new books to read, but I loaned out my paperback and it didn't find its way home, so I found the hardcover used, and I was up too late reading it.

King Solomon's mines by H Rider Haggard
Thought i would try out an old classic.Feels wierd reading a book written in 1885!

Originally posted by jclawler
Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre, last Years Booker Winner. Half way through and I am thoroughly depressed.

Persevere. Think of the ecstasy when you reach the end :D

Seriously, though - why is it depressing? I was thinking of reading it soon.

Third Man Girl

Ruby_123 originally posted:
... but I cant even get past page 200 ... same deal with Hitchhiker's ...
What?! :confused:

That must be the easiest read out there! I can't imagine anyone having trouble reading getting the HHG!

Are you serious?!

Cheers, Martin :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back