• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin, I agree with Ruby123, I am bit struggled with HHG cos I am not avid of sc-fi and there are some science jargons which I don't understand! So far page 70. I was looking forward to read it but still don't understand Sorry Martin! :(

Oh no, don't apologise! I didn't mean it like that!

But if you think this is impenetrable Sci-Fi, then please steer clear of Greg Bear. Anyway, my advice, do not concentrate on the Sci-Fi, just go with the flow, and laugh your ass off! It'll be worth it!

Oh, and by the way, I never read Sci-Fi.

Cheers, Martin :D

Sorry i should have clarified....i read through the HHG, but now im on Life, the Universe and Everything (the third one) and its sooo boring...

anyone else have any problems getting through Catch-22?

Then I should clarify also. When I talk about the HHG, I refer to all five books. I've never read them in any other way.

I've read 'Catch-22' quite some time ago, and I seem to remember liking it, but not loving it. The fact that it didn't stuck in my brain says enough, I reckon.

Originally posted by Martin
Oh no, don't apologise! I didn't mean it like that!

But if you think this is impenetrable Sci-Fi, then please steer clear of Greg Bear. Anyway, my advice, do not concentrate on the Sci-Fi, just go with the flow, and laugh your ass off! It'll be worth it!

Oh, and by the way, I never read Sci-Fi.

Ok Martin, I try my best to go with the flow!!:confused:
I thought you like read sci-fi books but it makes sense that you post few messages in Sci-fi messageboards.

Neh. All the Sci-Fi I've read is the HHG, and some comparable comedy fluff. Nothing hardcore. Just doesn't to it for me, all those technical details.

I once gave Greg Bear's 'Eon' a go, and I just had to put it down after 50 pages. Never picked it up again. That's the only time that ever happened.

Catch 22
Same for me David lots of numbers.
Started to read it then gave up pretty fast as it didn't seem to go anywhere in the few pages I read. Was along time ago though.

Back on topic

Currently reading Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

I have had a copy on my shelf for ages and I can't remeber if I ever finished it. I know I read the begining because the start came flooding back. The first hundred pages do not have the best writing style. It leaves the reader wondering where you are and what is happening. However the plot has been established now and they've set off on their quest, all good fantasy books have a quest *smiles*. So I'll continue with it. Hopefully I'll really get into it and devour the rest of the series.

Originally posted by Carlos
Catch 22
Same for me David lots of numbers.
Started to read it then gave up pretty fast as it didn't seem to go anywhere in the few pages I read. Was along time ago though.

Back on topic

Currently reading Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

I have had a copy on my shelf for ages and I can't remeber if I ever finished it. I know I read the begining because the start came flooding back. The first hundred pages do not have the best writing style. It leaves the reader wondering where you are and what is happening. However the plot has been established now and they've set off on their quest, all good fantasy books have a quest *smiles*. So I'll continue with it. Hopefully I'll really get into it and devour the rest of the series.

I have just finished reading book seven of the Sword of Truth series "The Pillars of Creation" and I found the whole series,so far,to be easy to read and highly entertaining you could also try the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan,that
series is up to ten books and it might run to twelve or thirteen books before it is done.It is not as lighthearted as Terry Goodkind's series but it is also entertaining.
Catch 22 is a book I"ve never read but maybe some day.

there is a discussion thread on Wizards First rule in the fantasy section for those who are interested.

WOT by Jordan. Can't wait till it's finished only cos it's drifted along for the last few books. I believe Jordan has lost the plot :D . Which is why he is writing prequels at the moment. I've said this in other threads, I believe he is just milking us for more money. Finish the series please.
I have actually read it twice cos I could not remember the earlier books.

Edit: Given up for now with Wizards First Rule.
Just started Crush Depth by Joe Buff.
link

Originally posted by Blade
I started 'Kiss the Girls' by James Patterson on Sunday afternoon. Finished it Monday. Fab book!!
Think I'm away to read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote. I noticed someone mentioned it on the forum earlier. I've had it for a few years but never got round to reading it.

Hi, i just came across your post, and Along came a spider is another great by J.Patterson... I tried reading In Cold Blood a couple of months ago, but I just couldn't get into it...

Hey,Garthbooks:)
I just started "In Cold Blood" earlier on this evening. Haven't got very far yet and I have to admit I haven't "got into it" yet. But I'll give it a go. (unless another book catches my eye!):D

I finished reading "The Da Vinci Code" last week. Now I'm reading "Of Love and Other Demons" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's a wonderful book and he is a DAMN great writer. The language is so rich and the story so engaging. Have to get more by him, much more!

Regards
Wabbit

I read 2 books this week and wasn't disappointed by either. The Last Juror by John Grisham & Songbird, a biography of singer & artist Eva Cassidy. I've always enjoyed Grisham's books but this is the 1st time I've actualy been moved by his work. As for Eva, if you don't know about her it's your loss!
I'm now reading On Night's Shore by Randall Silvas, a historical novel taking place in New York durring the 1840's with E.A.Poe as it's central character.

Bill

currently reading "The Seventh Secret" by Irving Wallace
its the same old story about Hitler being alive
i have lost count how many books they have written on that

Recently finished Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell and I'm now 3/4 the way through Sidetracked by the same author.

Originally posted by third man girl
Persevere. Think of the ecstasy when you reach the end :D

Seriously, though - why is it depressing? I was thinking of reading it soon.

Third Man Girl

Finished it but it fell away a bit towards the end. Still worth reading. Depressed me because of details of tragic, dysfunctional little lives that exist all over the developed world

Moved onto Baudolino by Eco which was a real page turner! One per day.....

I'm currently reading Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. So far its quite interesting...he writes a bit like Tom Clancy but goes more for the action.

Its amusing to read this book where the terrorists are financed by Saddam Hussein...I wonder if this book was part of the "intelligence" recovered by the administration.

MORTAL FEAR by GREG ILES

Harper Cole has a day job, like most in his Mississippi town. But at night, his occupation drastically changes, as Harper becomes systems operator for Eros, a highly exclusive, sexually explicit online service whose clients range from the Hollywood jet set to the New York literati. Shielded by a guarantee of absolute anonymity, these clients pour their secrets into a digital confession box, accessible only by the top brass of Eros operators like Harper Cole.

But when six female participants mysteriously "log off" -- disappear from the network altogether -- and a famous New Orleans author and Eros client is horribly murdered in her home, Harper Cole is faced with a policy-breaching decision. He breaks the sacred code of silence, notifies the police, and suddenly finds himself the FBI's prime suspect for murder. He must place everything he holds dear in the killer's path in hopes of clearing his own name and ending the vicious cycle of cyber-spawned slayings. With the advent of Internet anonymity, this virtual Southern thriller stirs a very real uneasiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back