• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Foucault's Pendulum'.
It doesn't seem to get started yet.I'm on Chapter 13.Its going a bit slower then I expected.

jay said:
D-uh! It’s about Pi!!

Here, I’ll save you the trouble of reading a badly written, really boring book that managed to win some award(s?) and found an audience with the pseudo-literate:

Pi = 3.14159265

Oh! That Pi. Seriously, I thought it was about the life on Asian boy.

Now can I get a review from someone who ENJOYED the book?

raffaellabella said:
Oh! That Pi. Seriously, I thought it was about the life on Asian boy.

It is about an Asian boy! Although I did find it funny that loads of copies of the book were piled in the maths section of my local Waterstones.

Curses!! Hit return key at wrong time! :eek:

Anyway, as though you don't know heres the list.

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn

The Outlandish Companion

The Fiery Cross

Next one out in a few months...........Yay!

hello all

at the moment im reading the gunslinger by stephen king, but after that im probably going to read the novice (2nd book in the the black magicians guild trilogy) by trudi canavan, then buy eldest by christopher paolini when it comes out and read that.

I just finished Staright by Dick Francis.This was the 3rd Dick Francis Book i read after Flying Finnish and Hot Money.

I am going to start Artemis Fowl tonite.

By the way this is my first post!

Decided it was time for a good non-fiction book, so I picked up Peter Singer's The President of Good and Evil; Questioning the Ethics of George W. Bush. Singer is a professor Bioethics at Princeton University. He also maintains a decent website ( www.psinger.com ) Singer examines the ethical views of the president through his statements and then proceeds to look at his actions for any incongruity. In relation to the "culture of life" claim, Singer needles Bush on having signed over 500 execution warrants on death row inmates. This, inspite of the fact that in the U.S., over 100 people have been freed from deathrow. Given this room for error, Singer maintains the president can't actually be said to be one who lives up to the ideals of the "culture of life" movement that he espouses. He also takes dead aim at the president's ruling on stem cell research. Given the fact that the natural act of procreation leads to the deaths of about 3 million stem cells per year, wanting to sanctify them is somewhat of a hard task to accomplish. Not only that, but many people don't want their genetics passed on to other couples. So what do you do about them?

This is a rather slim book, but it isn't one that you fly through. At least if you do, you miss a lot of the well-reasoned arguments that Singer puts forward. While I don't agree with his logic on abortion, I do believe that he is more in correct in calling out the president's fallacies in argument in support for the death penalty, as well as "state's rights" except when states pass medicinal marijuana laws or who would dare decide same sex marriage themselves. Using the president's "state's rights" speeches and the ultimate decisions to fight the states to do exactly what they want, Singer effectively demolishes the president's consistency in regard to this ideal.

book_president_good_evil_peter_singer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back