• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, I edit for a small press, so I read ebooks which haven't yet been released. But I just read a nice little YA called The Ninth Gues by Jennifer St Claire. It's all about vampires, ghosts, a haunted house, and deception. Nicely done.

Before that I read a book called Toppers by Darrell Bain. It's stories told by two Vietnam vets, each trying to top the other. The story about the satin sheets and silk pajamas was a side splitter.

I just finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - what an excellent book. I couldn't help but just sit down and read (and finish) it in just a few hours. The main character is so charming and kind and neat. The story is fun and heart-warming, I just loved it. I had to call my mother as soon as I finished to recommend it to her, which I don't often do. The last book to have that effect was Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (a book that I highly recommend).

Originally posted by VTChEwbecca
I just finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - what an excellent book.

I see a lot of people on the train reading this or one of its sequels. I believe there is a series? Leaving aside wizards and hobbits, these books seem to represent the sort of publishing phenomenon last seen with Captain Corelli and his stringed instrument. Something else for the must try list, I think.

Right now I'm reading the latest Robert Goddard, "Days without number". It was a little slow at first, but now I'm as gripped and intrigued as by any of his books. If you like twists of plot, and fate, you'll love Goddard.

I believe it has become a series...I chose the book on a whim. Its unusual, not a lot like current books out there, but its enjoyable. I thought a very good effort for a first book.

There is just something really sweet about the main character that drew me into the book.

The author is currently writing a novel with sections of approx. 800-1000 words appearing daily in a Scottish (although might be national; I forget which) newspaper. no doubt once that run is complete, that'll be another full novel release.

Airport

I am currently reading Airport because, after watching the film, I was a little curious about the book. I have read other Hailey novels and so farnone have disappointed me yet including Airport.

I love his attention to detail. An the insider's view into a world I'll never go in.

Currently reading: Dostoyevsky's
Crime and Punishment and A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes

Recently finished: Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Figes - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert -
When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka - American Dynasty by Kevin Phillips

Tried Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, but just couldn't stay with it - maybe at another time.

Currently reading Vol. II of the Chrestomanci Chronicles. I enjoyed the first so much, I decided to read the second. Quite fun so far!

Currently reading -

Shadow of a Dark Queen by (wait for it...!!) Raymond E. Feist (how did you guess??!!)
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Come Together by Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees (reread - fluff!)

Phil :)

After 2 months of having the 'reading blahs", I've started the following:

"L" is for Lawless - Sue Grafton (easy-reading fluff which I should finish shortly)
Last Man Standing - David Baldacci
Fall On Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald
The Path Between the Seas - David McCullough

All started, but anybody's guess when they'll be finished.

AND - Pattern Recognition by William Gibson is calling my name from its place on the floor!

Ell

I'm reading the sandman graphic novels ... and a book on aikido.

so if you don't have anything nice to say about the sandman, I'll just have to beat it out of you. :D

If I remember my arts correctly, don't I have to make the 1st move before you beat it out of me?

RaVeN
(as he stands perfectly still)

It's probably due to the volume of all that sweet cheese. Try some prune juice and you won't lurk as much.

RaVeN

All in the spirit of good fun my friend. That and the fact that I've been sick & on my back all day, unable to kick the cat.

Raven
(here kitty kitty kitty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back