• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got Crossroads of Twilight. I'll probably start it tonight. I'm still reading chapter summaries for Book 9.

Just finished the Two Towers.

I'll be done with Prey by tomorrow.

Also read last week, Lurker at the Threshhold, by H.P. Lovecraft

My incredibly boring course notes, and "The Phonetics of English and Dutch" by Beverley Collins and Inger M. Mees. I'm thoroughly enjoying that one. *cough*

I just started "Dance Upon The Air" by Nora Roberts for a book group co-read. I just finished "Blue Diary" by Alice Hoffman.

I read "Blue Diary" too Nicole - am a big fan of Hoffman - I loved Seventh Heaven, thought "Second NAture" was pretty good...but best yet was "Here On Earth" ...I LIVED that book!!!

Just finished Prey by Michael Crichton - very good. I'll finish my review over the weekend.

Now reading McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. It's turning into the funniest book I've read in ages!

Waiting for the Dark Tower Book 1 by Stephen King to arrive from Amazon.

Another fan of both Alice Hoffman and "The Lovely Bones." I recently read Sebold's "Lucky" as well.

Today I started and will finish "Ella Minnow Pea." I can't even describe this book (which the jacket calls "a progressively lipogrammatical epistolary fable). It's a fast, deceptively simple little read.

Also, I just bought a couple of hundred dollars worth of books for classes, all either contemporary fiction or memoir. Some good stuff in there, including--Alice Hoffman fans take note--"Local Girls."

Just finished "Crossroads of Twilight". What an utter disappoingment. So much for wrapping up storylines. Now I am reading "Red" by Jack Ketchum. Standard horror stuff. I have The Lovely Bones on my to read shelf so based on everyone in here loving it, I just make bump that up to my "Next" slot.

Mike

I have finished "carrion comfort" by Dan Simmons (horror/ sci-fi), I liked it at first, but then I got bored, it was much too long...
I am currently reading "Women of the Silk" by Gail Tsukiyama, a novel about a chinese girl who is "sold" by her family to a silk factory.

I have read only one novel by Hoffman so far and enjoyed it ("Here on Earth")...

Finished "Prey" a few days ago (review now online), and I've finally managed to find a copy of "The Gunslinger" - got a bit of catching up to do :)

Originally posted by Stephen
Full Circle - Michael Palin
I'd be really interested in what you think of this book Stephen.

I've long admired / enjoyed his TV travel programmes and often toyed with the thought of picking up the (inevitable) accompanying BBC book. I’ve only hesitant because most of the charm / interest / humour of the programmes are visual and people based. Does he write with the same humour and does he bring out the feeling of the places he visits ?

For those who haven’t seen these programmes, they are of (ex Monty Python) Michael Palin’s travels around the world. North to South Pole, circumnavigating the Sahara, a train journey through Asia, around the world in 80 days, type thing. However, it’s not the journey itself but the places and the people he meets along the way. Spending time with local people and partaking of their culture and customs. This is all done in a friendly and humours manner that never fails to endear him to the peoples he meets and whilst light hearted is never patronising etc ......... a bit of a British TV treasure really, is Michael Palin.

Dave B.

I read "Full Circle" about five years ago, before I went on holiday to New Zealand. I can't remember much about it, but seem to recall that the style is similar to his documentary. The books contain loads of colour photos.

There's a website about his travels at http://www.palinstravels.co.uk

I'm reading the 'Chronicles of Narnina' by C.S. Lewis. I read the series a long long time ago and only vaguely remembered details. I was reminded of this series when I read 'The Corrections' by Jonathan Franzen over Christmas because one of the characters in the book is really into the Narnia stories. Funny how one book lead me to choose another. Fortunately I found a copy of the 'chronicles of narnia' where all the books in the series are compliled into one, so I'm reading through it one after the other. I had forgotten how fun these books were :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back