• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading Amy Tan's "The Opposite of Fate." It was in the biography section at the library and is full of musings from her life. If you like Amy Tan's fiction, you'd probably like this one too. It's really good so far.

I was flipping through the pages and saw what I thought was a little flower in the margin of one of the pages. It looked like a little sage-green bud with pink petals emerging from one end. So I flipped through, trying to find it again. Turned out it was just a bugger that someone had stuck to the page. :eek: Luckily, the pink was just an optical illusion. Probably my mind trying to protect me from what I was seeing by making it look like something pleasant.

Just a quick off-topic note to say that we'll be closing this thread at the end of the month and moving to a new thread for each month.

If people want to discuss a particular book in detail, it's best to open a new thread for it.

Thanks.

East of the Mountains by David Guterson

Like his description of nature. His characterisation is quite good too. The 5 mile or so trek through the forest and into Quincy seems a little unbelievable as he is suffering from painful terminal cancer, has had facial injuries due to a car crash and is carrying terribly wounded hunting dog as well! But nevertheless, maybe we are supposed to believe in the power of adrenalin. Whatever, I still like it at the moment.

A Brush with Darkness-Currently Reading

Just a brief recommendation about a book I just picked up. A short read about an artist who teaches herself to paint after she goes blind from a terrible disease....www.lisafittipaldi.com. fascinating approach to art, how its made and why its done, plus an extra bonus as the book is well written, inspirational and not the usual 'i have a message" to relate...has anyone else read this book?

A Brush with Darkness by Lisa Fittipaldi

I am currently reading A Brush with Darkness by Lisa Fittipaldi.
See her website at www.lisafittipaldi.com. Its a nonfiction book about someone who teaches themselves to paint after losing their sight. Fascinating and well written.

I'm reading War of the Rats by David L. Robbins. It's a novel based on the real story of two snipers hunting each other during the WWII battle between the Russians and the Germans for Stalingrad. It was made into a movie, Enemy at the Gates, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

what I'm reading...

I've just started reading "Island Murders" by Wanda Canada - a local author in Wilmington, NC. The book was a gift from a friend. It's pretty good so far. :)

I'm Currently reading Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus. I have about 100 pages left. Don't know what's next. Any Suggestions?

bookl0ver said:
Don't know what's next. Any Suggestions?
YES YES YES,
read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
Just do it! You won't regret, but if you in some miraculous way do regret, then I promise to read 3 books you suggest in return. OK?
I think it's a pretty good deal, that way, someone might actually read a book I suggest.:)

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

It's hilarious and witty and gorgeous and great and thrilling and...
And I love these Dodos!!!

I was just wondering, is it just me, or are you supposed to laugh when you read "The Hundred Secret Sences"? Because I kind of keep laughing on nearly every page. Libby-ah cracks me up. :p

Maya said:
I was just wondering, is it just me, or are you supposed to laugh when you read "The Hundred Secret Sences"? Because I kind of keep laughing on nearly every page. Libby-ah cracks me up. :p

I think Amy Tan can be really funny, especially on the Chinese/American culture clash.

Maya said:
I was just wondering, is it just me, or are you supposed to laugh when you read "The Hundred Secret Senses"? Because I kind of keep laughing on nearly every page. Libby-ah cracks me up. :p
Yes, it's meant to be humourous. Olivia (Libby-ah) takes everything so very, very seriously and Kwan just doesn't understand what she's so upset about - it makes for very funny situations. Olivia is one of those people you want to yell at, "Lighten up! It's not that bad!"

BTW, Tan is very good at capturing the pidgin English of Chinese-speakers. Libby-ah would have been the way my grandmother would pronounce Olivia.

ell

Maya said:

Yes, it is a funny book. I love THSS...my favorite of Tan's novels.

I'm reading David Copperfield. I like Dickens. Many people day he's long winded, and I guess he is somewhat - but his novels are still excellent. David Copperfield is so funny in some parts that I burst out laughing.

David Copperfield is funny! Everytime somebody apologized because of his thoughts I started LOL. :D (Nevertheless it's hard work for me.)

the part that had me in stiches was Peggoty always bursting her buttons when she hugged Davy in happiness. He says he could have found his way home by trail of buttons once. too funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back