• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm halfway through Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood. I'm never disappointed when I read an Atwood novel. Lady Oracle is comical, clever and also thought provoking.

I'm halfway through Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark. It's a big book and an easy read with some subtle humour. I was given this book as a birthday present and wouldn't normally have bought it for myself but I am enjoying it.

Folly xxx

Jenem - did you read Oryx and Crake? If so, would love to discuss it. Found it one of the most original of MA's. Agree, she is never disappointing. Bartus55

Oryx and Crake was brilliant.

Speaking of brilliant, I just finished Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair, which I enjoyed immensely. It's been a long time since I read a book as original and ingenious as this one. And the best part? There are already three sequels!

Cheers

Currently reading In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
I plan on reading more Karin Slaughter, A Faint Cold Fear was very good. I read Laurell K. Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures, too. Great vampire story. Can't wait to get my hands on more of her books.

Oryx and Crake is one of the best books I've read.

Bartus55 said:
Jenem - did you read Oryx and Crake? If so, would love to discuss it. Found it one of the most original of MA's. Agree, she is never disappointing. Bartus55

Yep - wasn't it fantastic? I agree, definitely one of Atwood's most original novels. If there is no thread in here about it then we should start one. There are lots of points of discussion in that book

Oryx and Crake discussion

Bartus55 said:
Jenem - did you read Oryx and Crake? If so, would love to discuss it. Found it one of the most original of MA's. Agree, she is never disappointing.
Jenem said:
Yep - wasn't it fantastic? I agree, definitely one of Atwood's most original novels. If there is no thread in here about it then we should start one. There are lots of points of discussion in that book
Here's an old Oryx and Crake thread you could resurrect.

ell

Gizmo said:
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes

Quite fascinating. :D

Hey, that's a great book!!!! Very powerful stuff. I read it a long long time ago. I must have it on my re-read list. Lucky I have the memory of a penguin because so then it will be all new and fresh in my mind! :)

Reading The Long Walk, by Stephen King. A novella he wrote under the psuedonym of, Richard Bachman. The book is quite interesting and very enjoyable. I'm about 80 pages into it. :)

I'm reading the Gunslinger, also by Stephen King.

Kinda gloomy. Don't know how much I actually like it so far.

I love The Da Vinci Code and I'm pretty curious to know we others don't like it. I promise I won't try to convince of it's brilliance! ;)

Gizmo said:
I love The Da Vinci Code and I'm pretty curious to know we others don't like it. I promise I won't try to convince of it's brilliance! ;)

I only read it because it was on the bestseller list everywhere, and I wanted to know what the fuss was all about.

I must admit that it was gripping; I kept on reading because of the puzzles. Some of the aspects regarding Da Vinci’s paintings were also of interest, not to mention the mathematical sequences and etc. It wasn't all that bad.

But Dan Brown didn’t convince me when it came to Mary Magdalene having given birth to Jesus Christ’ child and everything that had to do with it. It all sounded so absurd.

And I knew that Remy somehow was involved and Teabing had something to do with Sanuiere’s death long before the author revealed it.

The characters didn't have any personality. They were so dull. Especially Sophie Neveu and Robert Langdon. And the kiss at the end, what was that all about?

It all was just so blah blah blah... blah.. blah blah...

But hey,
maybe its just me:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back