• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
hyper.gif
I haven't read too much science fiction (mainly Philip K. Dick, and his novels are much, much shorter), although it's a genre that I've been meaning to get into for a while. Haven't read any other Peter F. Hamilton books either, though I've always browsed them at bookstores, and been tempted.

Anyway, my eyes glaze over a bit at the techo-babble, but I'm still enjoying the story so far. ;) Only up to page 124 (I'm reading the paperback version that is just over 1,100 pages) so I have a fair way to go. :D

Before I read it, I scoured through Amazon.com for some reviews, and it seems that this book fits into the Space Opera genre. :confused: What does this cover? Sci-fi epics? :confused:

Once I've finished, I'll post what I think under the Pandora's Star thread. ;)

Today I'll be reading Markedøkonomiens utvikling (development of the market economy) by more writers than I would like to list... I really hate having to study for exams. :(

hay82 said:
Today I'll be reading Markedøkonomiens utvikling (development of the market economy) by more writers than I would like to list... I really hate having to study for exams. :(

Aren't exams usually given in may or june?

Maya said:
Aren't exams usually given in may or june?
Don't know about other countries. But on university in Denmark you have exams in January and June, (after each semester).

Currently reading Samuel Pepys biography. He is a famous diaryist and a very interesting respectable, remarkable fellow in my opinion. I read a short collection of his diary... a very short one, but it made me interested enough to want to read them all.

I was never much into no fiction but Pepys' Diary may have changed that. But it's taken me forever to read this autobiography and I mean forever, I'm talking about months and it is only 400 pages long which is the annoying thing. Usually that would take me a week or a bit more depending on certain things but with work and going ou I haven't had much time to read. I plan, as some one suggested to me in another thread to devote half an hour a day to reading. And I plan to... but lately it's been that I wake up, get dressed, bump into a friend hang out for a bit... if I have work I'll do that and then I'll meet up with my friends again stay up to gone 3am, get back to my bed and go straight to sleep especially if I have lectures the following bright morning. I'm going to finish this book, I love it but I simply have not had the time to devote to it properly.

hay82 said:
Don't know about other countries. But on university in Denmark you have exams in January and June, (after each semester).
"We" have after each semester too, but which month, depends on what you're studying.
Anyways good luck on your exams! :)

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

From a strikingly original new voice in fiction comes the story of Artemis Fowl, a very unusual hero. Artemis combines the astuteness of Sherlock Holmes with the sangfroid of James Bond and the attitude of Attila the Hun. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories. These fairies are armed and they're dangerous. Artemis thinks he's got them just where he wants them, but then they stop playing by the rules...

Delta_doh! said:
View attachment atinypic_com_1907q9

The Time Traveler's Wife..... by Audrey Niffenegger
And Its Fantasic.... :)

i loved this book!!!! loved it. it had me from page one and i felt so drawn into clare and henry's lives. there were certain scenes in the book, like when henry is describing the accident with his mom, that i read over and over, they were so moving and amazing to try to wrap your mind around. i would love to see the authors time line she worked around to make this story work.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her - her friends trading rumors about her disapperance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy.

jenngorham said:
i loved this book!!!! loved it. it had me from page one and i felt so drawn into clare and henry's lives. there were certain scenes in the book, like when henry is describing the accident with his mom, that i read over and over, they were so moving and amazing to try to wrap your mind around. i would love to see the authors time line she worked around to make this story work.
Hi there jenngorham...

I really liked the author's very clever way of weaving the life of a time traveller around the one who goes through life the linear way. :) She did tell a very interesting story, quite compelling.

I suppose I had mixed feelings about this book because (Major spoiler coming up - those who haven't read yet CONTROL YOURSELVES! :) )
I didn't know what to think when Henry found out he should be dead from his daughter's teacher. Well, honestly it didn't surprise me, since the clues were all over the book, but it would have been even more interesting to see what happens if he didn't die. I suppose she took the easy way out to close out all the loose ends. Oh well.

ds

Time Traveller's Wife

I loved this book too - I read it about 6 months ago when it fist came out here in hardback and it still haunts me now. It's currently my Recommendation of the Month at Dover Library, where I'm the librarian.

It keeps you hooked due to the timeline changes and although you know it's going to have a sad ending I don't think it was handled in a really schmaltzy way. Brad & Jen Pitt had bought the rights to make it into a film, so I guess that won't be happening now! Good, actually - Hollywood would ruin it.

I am presently reading through the Little House books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I never read them when I was a child, so after the holiday crazies I decided to give them a try. I am now on book 8 and having the time of my life, though I am anxious to get back to my classics!

HearthCricket

mouse and direstraits,
i think hollywood would ruin it too. it would be an excellent movie, if someone had the foresight to just make it as is, not mess with the book. i always see oliver platt as the best friend to henry and clare, who hits on clare all the time. but brad and jenn......? yikes i don't know, well i guess we'll never know. i could see julianne moore as the adult clare, and maybe jude law?
i knew about the aforementioned spoiler too. there is the time he goes back and clare's brother and father see him and it is all very confused, i thought, save this memory it means something.
there were some parts that i really had to think about, scenes that at first were like huh and then i was like well.....when he would go back as a teen and see himself as a teen and his father caught him(them) kind of an elaborate form of masturbation. or how she eventually got pregnant; was that cheating?
i felt clare was such a great female character. especially when she was a teen and knowing henry was the one and just waiting to meet him. it would be so difficult to see all your friends engaging in normal rites of passage and knowing you can't participate.

jenngorham said:

The Time Traveler's Wife..... by Audrey Niffenegger

I'm still loving :) it, and Will defy be watching out for more by Audrey Niffenegger, but how she will ever beat this I really don't know......

I am reading An Hour Before Daylight by Jimmy Carter. It is all about his life growing up in rural Georgia. I live in the American rural south like he did and I see some parallels.

direstraits said:
Delta_doh! Have you finished it? I have mixed feelings about this book... what do you think of the whole story?

ds

Hiya,
No, I have not been reading it long, having to think and get used to the time thingi....but so far I love it.
Its 1 of 10 books chosen for a TV Book club here, (UK)
Be intersting to see how it does... :)

Rogue said:
Am I the only one reading...
I just read your post, so no.

Currently reading A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare. Its something I wouldn't have thought I would be reading, but I am and I really like it. Not really understanding it all yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back