• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
i"m currently reading 'Contest' by Mathew Reilly. It's a top class action, the fastest novel i've ever read...well....i'm still readin' it but...you know.... :) :cool:

I'm over halfway through The Taking by Dean Koontz. So far, it is very... strange. Still, it's rattling along at a fair pace, once you get past him describing rain for about the first twenty-five pages. :rolleyes:

Halo said:
Still, it's rattling along at a fair pace, once you get past him describing rain for about the first twenty-five pages. :rolleyes:

Ugh - that drove me batty about Koontz. He's done that with his other books as well. Eventually, I just gave up. :rolleyes:

Dizzy, I love Matthew Reilly!! Contest is good, but is fairly weak compared to Temple and Ice Station - have you read those??

Halo, hopefully the rain has stopped now ... of course now you have fog for the rest of the book, but it cant be helped :D I enjoyed The Taking, but the whole thing was kinda spoiled for me by working out the message from the Space Station straight away :rolleyes:

Phil

phil_t said:
Halo, hopefully the rain has stopped now ... of course now you have fog for the rest of the book, but it cant be helped :D I enjoyed The Taking, but the whole thing was kinda spoiled for me by working out the message from the Space Station straight away :rolleyes:
Phil

LOL! :D Yes, the rain has stopped, and yes, it's now foggy! I hardly ever work out endings, so I think I'll be okay! :)

phil_t said:
Dizzy, I love Matthew Reilly!! Contest is good, but is fairly weak compared to Temple and Ice Station - have you read those??

Phil

i've read Ice Station, planning on buying Area 7, then Scaercrow.

i started reading 'Dreamcatcher' Stephen King today.

i own the Taking, haven't got around to readin' it though. Life Expectancy and Watchers are awesome! Dean Koontz.

I haven’t read a Travis McGee in awhile so I picked the one I’m up to, _Dress Her In Indigo_, this morning.
The 11th of the series.
Also started Tori Amos’ autobio _Piece by Piece_, which will be a occasional pick up/put down book. As is most non-fiction for me.

jay said:
Also started Tori Amos’ autobio _Piece by Piece_, which will be a occasional pick up/put down book. As is most non-fiction for me.

How do you like it? I haven't heard anything about it yet, so I'm very unsure whether to buy it or not...

I'm currently reading 'Bittersüße Schokolade' (Like Water for Choclate) by Laura Esquivel. I haven't progresses all too far, but up to now I like it. The book moves on in twelve chapters, twelve months, each featuring a cooking recipe around which the story is woven. The story is set in Mexico. The family life with all its rules and the clear domination of Mama Elena is very interesting because it is so different from what I know.

Rigana said:
How do you like it? [Tori’s auto-bio) I haven't heard anything about it yet, so I'm very unsure whether to buy it or not...

I’m somewhere around just shy of a quarter through it.
If you enjoy her music, I’d say it’s easily worth it.
Some bits are straight out written (or “written”) by her, others are based conversations with her co-writer and other bits are interview-blurbs from various peeps. So it’s pretty well-rounded.

Needless to say, if you know Tori a little she’s…a bit ‘out there’, but I certainly wouldn’t say “flaky” as some may.
One may not agree with her, say, theory of where songs come from, or her religious views, but they are pretty interesting.

So far, what I’m slightly disappointed with is that she really quickly skimmed over the first two albums, barely mentioning them, and didn’t even mention the Y Kant Tori Read time.
But I’m not done reading it, and maybe the book isn’t strictly following a chronological order and it will step-back to those times.
Not sure.
j

Their Eyes Were Watching God

I read this when I was 15 (summer reading for school). I saw that they turned it into a TV movie (starring Halle Berry) on ABC & decided to pick it up again. I barely remember the story.

It's so funny, they advertise the movie, "Oprah presents". hmph, whatever. ::rolls eyes::

Started Jose Saramango - The Stone Raft last night, but it was pretty late by the time I got going on it, so not too far in yet. Liking it so far.

Still undecided on what non-fic to read alongside it, since that's my usual way of doing things.

phil_t said:
Contest was his first novel, so on that score, I think it was pretty good.

Currently reading Sahara by Clive Cussler. I thought I'd read it before the movie hits the theatre next month.

despite being halway through The Once and Future King, I picked up and had a flick through a book of Edgar Allen Poe poetry. Mainly for the Raven. Who'd have thought a 19th century poet would inspire a wrestling catchphrase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back