• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cutlery

My method - using both knife and fork in two hands, shovel food into mouth as quick as humanly possible, unless desperate times call for me to stop for drink, or possibly sauce ;)

Phil

phil_t said:
My method - using both knife and fork in two hands, shovel food into mouth as quick as humanly possible, unless desperate times call for me to stop for drink, or possibly sauce ;)

Phil

Oh! Englishmen! So uncouth. ;)

Third Man Girl

Talking about Englishmen... :rolleyes: :p

I have spent quite a bit of time in the UK, and have often been invited to dinner at friends' houses. :)

What really amuses me is so much the use of cutlery, but the fact that you are often presented with a full plate, while seated on the couch, trying to eat, balancing the plate on your knees. :eek:

Maybe they don't believe in dinner tables. :rolleyes:

Hobitten

third man girl said:
Oh! Englishmen! So uncouth. ;)

Oh, cos the Scots are any better! ;)

hobbiten said:
What really amuses me is so much the use of cutlery, but the fact that you are often presented with a full plate, while seated on the couch, trying to eat, balancing the plate on your knees.

Maybe they don't believe in dinner tables.

:) I know exactly what you mean - its been a long time since ive regularly sat down to eat at a dinner table, i think Christmas is the only time i do that anymore. For the most part, this is currently because my parents dining room is now 'storage closet A' for my stuff whilst i try to get a place of my own!!

But imagine if you had to sit at the table to eat - how would you watch TV at the same time!! :eek:

Phil

hobitten said:
What really amuses me is so much the use of cutlery, but the fact that you are often presented with a full plate, while seated on the couch, trying to eat, balancing the plate on your knees. :eek:

It's to teach you, um, balance and poise. Plus, sitting at a table restricts your movements, and it's a part of the English heritage that we always be prepared to defend our country against Viking invasion. This requires that we be able to leap up a moments notice, throw caution to the wind and our plates to the floor, take up our sporks and attack the infidels. You just can't do that whilst sitting at a table. In fact dining tables were what originally caused these British Isles to be the target of so many invasions. Is it any wonder that more and more people are now shunning the most dangerous piece of furniture in the history of our land? No. We would rather sit ready, sporks in hand, to defend our country. Plus, dining tables were actually outlawed recently as part of the new anti-terrorist laws. Too many people harbouring illegal immigrants (Vikings mostly) under their table cloths. It was a terrible scandal.

Litany said:
It's to teach you, um, balance and poise. Plus, sitting at a table restricts your movements, and it's a part of the English heritage that we always be prepared to defend our country against Viking invasion. This requires that we be able to leap up a moments notice, throw caution to the wind and our plates to the floor, take up our sporks and attack the infidels. You just can't do that whilst sitting at a table. In fact dining tables were what originally caused these British Isles to be the target of so many invasions. Is it any wonder that more and more people are now shunning the most dangerous piece of furniture in the history of our land? No. We would rather sit ready, sporks in hand, to defend our country. Plus, dining tables were actually outlawed recently as part of the new anti-terrorist laws. Too many people harbouring illegal immigrants (Vikings mostly) under their table cloths. It was a terrible scandal.

Watch out! :eek:

The Vikings are coming.... armed with forks and knives and dining tables - and table manners.

The Viking Hobitten :D

hobitten said:
Watch out! :eek:

The Vikings are coming.... armed with forks and knives and dining tables - and table manners.

The Viking Hobitten :D

I fear nothing. I am woman. Hear me spork.

hobitten said:
Never fear. :)

We women, we stick together. :D

Don't we?

I see from your location that you are no less than a cunning Viking interloper. I will not be tricked so easily. Ever viligant. Ever sporky. Put the glue down and step away from the table cloth.

Back