• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dalton Trumbo: Johnny Got His Gun

Haethurn

Has anybody else read this book? It is one of my favorites, and it changed my opinion on war completely.

It is about Joe Bonham, a soldier in WWI who was hit by a shell that took his arms and legs, his ears, nose, eyes, and mouth. The only thing it didn't take was his mind. The story shifts from his memories of the life he left behind when he went to war to him lying on a hospital bed trying to capture time and communicate with the hospital staff.

Dalton Trumbo truly appeals to your sympathy in the memories, which are filled with descriptions of sights, sounds, and smells which bring home the fact that these are all things that Joe will never experience again.

The story does not get into too much detail on what the war was actually like. Instead it focuses on one soldier's suffering, making it among the most brutally intense depictions of war ever.

I do not believe that any book has ever changed the way I think so drastically as this one has. And that is why it is among my favorites. Because it has actually affected me and made me rethink many things that I was previously confident about. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the true face of war.

I read this a good 20 + years ago and though the details have faded, the message has not. I agree that it's an excellent book.

I'd never even heard of the book until last week, when someone said I might want to read this... So I might give it a go if my library has it.

Haethurn's post (moved from Recommendations, please!)

If you are skeptical, then let me now SMASH, DESTROY your doubts. Here is an excerpt. I laugh at anyone who can find anything more powerful, more terrible. I laugh at Shakespeare, I laugh at Tolstoy, I laugh at Dostoevsky, I laugh at all of those pathetic little men who tried to portray tragedy but FAILED.

READ.

He thought well kid you're deaf as a post but there isn't the pain. You've got no arms but you don't hurt. You'll never burn your hand or cut your finger or smash a nail you lucky stiff. You're alive and you don't hurt and that's much better than being alive and hurting. There are lots of things a deaf guy without arms can do if he doesn't hurt so much he goes crazy from pain. He can get hooks or something for arms and he can learn to read lips and while that doesn't exactly put him on top of the world still he's not drowned in the bottom of a river with pain tearing his brain to pieces. He's still got air and he's not struggling and he's got willow trees and he can think and he's not in pain.
He couldn't understand why the nurses or whoever had charge of him wouldn't lay him out level. The lower half of him was light as a feather while his head and chest were dead weights. That was why he had thought he was drowning. His head was too low.
If he could move whatever was under his legs and bring his body to an even level he'd feel better. He wouldn't have that drowning dream any more.
He started to kick out with his feet to move what was under his legs. He only started because he didn't have any legs to kick with. Somewhere just below his hip joints they had cut both of his legs off.
No legs.
No more running walking crawling if you have no legs. No more working.
No legs you see.
Never again to wiggle your toes. What a hell of a thing what a wonderful beautiful thing to wiggle your toes.
No no.
If he could only think of real things he would destroy this dream of having no legs. Steamships loaves of bread girls Kareen machine guns books chewing gum pieces of wood Kareen but thinking of real things didn't help because it wasn't a dream.
It was the truth.

That was why his head had seemed lower than his legs. Because he had no legs. Naturally they seemed light. Air is light too. Even a toenail is heavy compared to air.
He had no arms and no legs.
He threw back his head and started to yell from fright. But he only started because he had no mouth to yell with. He was so surprised at not yelling when he tried that he began to work his jaws like a man who has found something interesting and wants to test it. He was so sure the idea of no mouth was a dream that he could investigate it calmly. He tried to work his jaws and he had no jaws. He tried to run his tongue around the inside of his teeth and over the roof of his mouth as if he were chasing a raspberry seed. But he didn't have any tongue and he hadn't any teeth. There was no roof to his mouth and there was no mouth. He tried to swallow but he couldn't because he had no palate and there weren't any muscles left to swallow with.
He began to smother and pant. It was as if someone had pushed a mattress over his face and was holding it there. He was breathing hard and fast now but he wasn't really breathing because there wasn't any air passing through his nose. He didn't have a nose. He could feel his chest rise and fall and quiver but not a breath of air was passing through the place where his nose used to be.
He got a wild panicky eagerness to die to kill himself. He tried to calm his breathing to stop breathing entirely so he would suffocate. He could feel the muscles at the bottom of his throat close tight against the air but the breathing in his chest kept right on. There wasn't any air in his throat to be stopped. His lungs were sucking it in somewhere below his throat.
He knew now that he was surely dying but he was curious. He didn't want to die until he had found out everything. If a man has no nose and no mouth and no palate and no tongue why it stands to reason he might be shy a few other parts as well. But that was nonsense because a man in that shape would be dead. You couldn't lose that much of yourself and still keep on living. Yet if you knew you had lost them and were thinking about it why then you must be alive because dead men don't think. Dead men aren't curious and he was sick with curiosity so he must not be dead yet
He began to reach out with the nerves of his face. He began to strain to feel the nothingness that was there. Where his mouth and nose had been there must now be nothing but a hole covered with bandages. He was trying to find out how far up that hole went. He was trying to feel the edges of the hole. He was grasping with the nerves and pores of his face to follow the borders of that hole and see how far up they extended.
It was like staring into complete darkness with your eyes popping out of your head. It was a process of feeling with his skin of exploring with something that couldn't move where his mind told it to. The nerves and muscles of his face were crawling like snakes toward his forehead.
The hole began at the base of his throat just below where his jaw should be and went upward in a widening circle. He could feel his skin creeping around the rim of the circle. The hole was getting bigger and bigger. It widened out almost to the base of his ears if he had any and then narrowed again. It ended somewhere above the top of what used to be his nose.
The hole went too high to have any eyes in it.
He was blind.

It was funny how calm he was. He was quiet just like a storekeeper taking spring inventory and saying to himself I see I have no eyes better put that down in the order book. He had no legs and no arms and no eyes and no ears and no nose and no mouth and no tongue What a hell of a dream. It must be a dream. Of course sweet god it's a dream. He'd have to wake up or he'd go nuts. Nobody could live like that. A person in that condition would be dead and he wasn't dead so he wasn't in that condition. Just dreaming.
But it wasn't a dream.

He could want it to be a dream forever and that wouldn't change things. Because he was alive alive. He was nothing but a piece of meat like the chunks of cartilage old Prof Vogel used to have in biology. Chunks of cartilage that didn't have anything except life so they grew on chemicals. But he was one up on the cartilage. He had a mind and it was thinking. That's more than Prof Vogel could ever say of his cartilages. He was thinking and he was just a thing.
Oh no. No no no.
He couldn't live like this because he would go crazy. But he couldn't die because he couldn't kill himself. If he could only breathe he could die. That was funny but it was true. He could hold his breath and kill himself. That was the only way left. Except that he wasn't breathing. His lungs were pumping air, but he couldn't stop them from doing it. He couldn't live and he couldn't die.
No no no that can't be right.
No no.
Mother.
Mother where are you
Hurry mother hurry hurry hurry and wake me up. I'm having a nightmare mother where are you? Hurry mother. I'm down here. Here mother. Here in the darkness. Pick me up. Rockabye baby. Now I lay me down to sleep. Oh mother hurry because I can't wake up. Over here mother. When the wind blows the cradle will rock. Hold me up high high.
Mother you've gone away and forgotten me. Here I am. I can't wake up mother. Wake me up. I can't move. Hold me. I'm scared. Oh mother mother sing to me and rub me and bathe me and comb my hair and wash out my ears and play with my toes and clap my hands together and blow my nose and kiss my eyes and mouth like I've seen you do with Elizabeth like you must have done with me. Then I'll wake up and I'll be with you and I'll never leave or be afraid or dream again.
Oh no.
I can't. I can't stand it. Scream. Move. Shake something. Make a noise any noise. I can't stand it. Oh no no no.
Please I can't. Please no. Somebody come. Help me. I can't lie here forever like this until maybe years from now I die. 1 can't. Nobody can. It isn't possible.
I can't breathe but I'm breathing. I'm so scared I can't think but I'm thinking. Oh please please no. No no. It isn't me. Help me. It can't be me. Not me. No no no.
Oh please oh oh please. No no no please no. Please.
Not me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the love of God, for the LOVE OF GOD, abandon Shakespeare, abandon Tolstoy, abandon Dostoevsky, abandon all of those stupid little men who failed, and REVIVE THIS CLASSIC. It is a SIN that this book should be obscure, that it should be FORGOTTEN. My God my God my GOD it is a SIN.

Originally posted by Haethurn

For the love of God, for the LOVE OF GOD, abandon Shakespeare, abandon Tolstoy, abandon Dostoevsky, abandon all of those stupid little men who failed, and REVIVE THIS CLASSIC. It is a SIN that this book should be obscure, that it should be FORGOTTEN. My God my God my GOD it is a SIN. [/B]

I agree!

I was inspired to read this book by the above posting. I was moved to tears, not by the account of the boy's struggle to come to terms with his disabilities but, by his memories of relationships with father, mother, best friend.

Don't go to the library for this book: this is a MUST buy (and treasure).

Third Man Girl

Originally posted by Haethurn

For the love of God, for the LOVE OF GOD, abandon Shakespeare, abandon Tolstoy, abandon Dostoevsky, abandon all of those stupid little men who failed, and REVIVE THIS CLASSIC. It is a SIN that this book should be obscure, that it should be FORGOTTEN. My God my God my GOD it is a SIN. [/B]

Clearly you don't understand the purpose of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy.

Johnny got his gun

I liked this one, I actually felt fustrated with the charecter as he tried to gain some sense of time (because he's blind/deaf/mute/amputee and is basically closed off from the world we know). I was wondering what the title meant, it's really confusing:confused: . Can anyone help me out?

Hi there:
I was in a theatrical rendition of this novel last year.
We did it in a pretty graphic way...and I learned to love it a lot.

We likened the title to the whole "when johnny comes marching home" song from that era.
Johnny with a gun, Johnny comes home?
Who knows.

johnny got his gun

This book is amazing! i recommend it to everyone who hasnt read it. What did u guys think of this book? I thought joe was really smart, he found out how to keep count of days and how to compare nurse's and eventually learns to talk to the outside world using morse. For those who havent read this, its about a man named joe who one day woke up in a hospital bed injured from war. He then realizes that he is deaf, blind, he cant talk, he has no arms nor legs and he has no tounge.

Anyways, im doin an essay and i need 3 points to prove this is an antiwar novel. so far I have...."the consequences of war" and "how atrocities affect the human mind" but i need 1 more, plz help

unhip_crayon said:
Anyways, im doin an essay and i need 3 points to prove this is an antiwar novel. so far I have...."the consequences of war" and "how atrocities affect the human mind" but i need 1 more, plz help

I haven't read this book, but you may want to give this thread a peek.

This book scare the hell outta me as a teen. Completely changed my view of war. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Back