• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown - Under Oath?

Stewart

Okay, we've numerous threads on this guy already and I'm well aware of this.

I don't want to talk about him or his work though. Instead I want to get others' opinions on his unwillingness to swear under oath that he is the author of his books, did any research, or had not known of the books by Lewis Perdue, the author that is trying to take Brown to court on charges of plagiarism.

I'm just interested in what others think. Has anyone read Perdue's books?

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infringement/expert-report.html

That link should be of some help.

As for the court case, I suppose its innocent until proven guilty, though I can find no reason for not going under oath unless he is guilty. Though you would think that someone who has already insulted the Christian masses so much would have no problem lying after swearing on a Bible :rolleyes:

Tom said:
though I can find no reason for not going under oath unless he is guilty.

If he goes under oath and then loses the case in court that would make him guilty of perjury.

so has anyone read perdue? is he a better writer? and if so what is it about brown's book that swept the world? just timing?

so 2 mediocre writers battling it out to the death in court over who owns the predictable plot? now there is a story.

jenngorham said:
so 2 mediocre writers battling it out to the death in court over who owns the predictable plot? now there is a story.
Maybe they could both make it into an autobiography and then claim they stole each other's lives. It'd be a vicous cycle!

I think there's a third party also claiming plagiarism based on a book he wrote 20 years ago. So that complicates things nicely.

lies said:
Maybe they could both make it into an autobiography and then claim they stole each other's lives. It'd be a vicous cycle!

who would do the movie. oliver stone is good at conspiracy, but i think he is in jail.
in any event it is likely to be a publicity blitz for both authors. now everyone will race out to buy perdue to compare for themselves. scandal sells.

??? Why is Oliver Stone in jail? Was it because he did that awful film Heaven and Earth?

If Dan Brown doesn't do this thing then of course people will question whether he really did or didn't think up a story by himself. Not sure how it would affect the book sales, though...

ds

Anther he said - she said. A lot of writers go through the same thing. Probably someone just trying to make some easy money.
IF this is all true, Perdue has a lot to prove, including that his book was writtens before Brown's.

Robert said:
IF this is all true, Perdue has a lot to prove, including that his book was writtens before Brown's.
Well i havent read Perdues book, but it was published the first time in 1983. Thats 20 years before The Davinci code. I think he got that part covered.

Robert said:
Probably someone just trying to make some easy money.

He already has 19 books published and ad Zolipara says, the books in question that are plagiarised The Da Vinci Legacy and Daughter Of God were written in the early 80s. You may now return your foot to your mouth.

Is there any type of professional standard for plaigirism in fiction that one could read or reference?

I know what qualifies in academics, but not in fiction.

TIA for anyone who might be able to assist me on this matter.

Stewart said:
He already has 19 books published and ad Zolipara says, the books in question that are plagiarised The Da Vinci Legacy and Daughter Of God were written in the early 80s. You may now return your foot to your mouth.

I stand by what I said. There will always be scum after people that find success.

I've read The Da Vinci Legacy and The Daughter of God by Lewis Perdue as well as The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I found that the writing styles and stories were very different.
My opinion is that there is no plagiarism in this case.

There are some similiarities, but I found that many of the similarities are either historical facts or stock elements.

I'm not sure why Dan Brown has not testified, but maybe it's like Stewart says: "If he goes under oath and then loses the case in court that would make him guilty of perjury."

Back