• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Fante: Corksucker (Cab Driver Stories From The L.A. Streets)

Kenny Shovel

It could be argued that good fiction contains an element of emotional tourism; an opportunity to empathise with the feelings and experiences of others, without having to actually spend your life living through their consequences. If so, the setting of Dan Fante’s collection of short stories, ‘Corksucker*’, in the seedy underbelly of L.A. could not be more appropriate. Fante has no more interest in the glamour of Hollywood than he does in the lives of those that society has protected and rewarded.
Instead he places his central character in a broken down cab that works the baking hot streets by day and accepts the dangers of picking up strangers in an unforgiving city by night. The setting is matched by the dark and oppressively harsh lives of the people whose stories he tells. For them, you feel there will be no Hollywood ending and for the emotional tourists of Fante’s readership, this really is a visit to the shabby end of the ‘City of Angels’.

Fante is a writer who has much to live up to, given that his father John is one of the great American authors of the last century. Added to that, any writer whose bio reads “went to a party aged twenty-one, came back twenty years later”, had better have some tales to tell. Fortunately, Fante has much to say, but whether his stories will ever reach the audience they deserve is debatable. As in terms of style, and to an extent subject matter, Fante’s most obvious comparison would be to his father’s great champion, Charles Bukowski - not a writer you’d describe as ‘Disney friendly’.

‘Corksucker contains eight short stories about a would-be writer forced by circumstance, and given a helping push by alcohol, into working the cabs of L.A. Like all his work, it’s suspiciously autobiographical, and deals in the world of booze, drugs, dysfunctional relationships and failed lives. It’s harsh stuff, but always edged with humour, and never, for me at least, hard going. Of the eight stories, ‘Mae West’ is the stand out and ‘Renewal’ perhaps the weakest. As I’d already read his three novels, I was on familiar territory, and enjoyed the verve of his story telling with my only real quibble being a price of £7.99 for a collection of just over 120 pages.

For those who have read Fante before, you know what you’ll being getting, more of the same, and all the better for that. For the uninitiated, I’d be reluctant to make a recommendation unless you already enjoy the work of Bukowski or perhaps Irvine Welsh. If you like them, then Fante is a treat, although I’d suggest you start with his first novel “Chump Change”.

K-S

*Corksucker is published in America under the title ‘Short Dog’.

Ooh, interesting. I kept meaning to look into Fante Jr's work when I read a couple of his old man's books earlier this year (or was it last year?) - but haven't got around to it yet. I seem to recall his three novels were all out of print in the UK, so you could be right about the slim chances of his finding his readership, Kenny.

Interesting that you compare him with Bukowski rather than Fante Sr. Or does the father-son comparison go without saying? Having read only a couple of each (Fante's Ask the Dust and Brotherhood of the Grape, Bukowski's Ham on Rye and Post Office), I think I marginally preferred Fante. Although Ham on Rye will not leave my memory quickly: what a book. Hell, I don't know.

As an aside, brought on by your mention above of Fante Jr's lack of interest in the glamour of Hollywood, I am intrigued by Bret Easton Ellis's use of the opening paragraph of John Fante's Ask the Dust as the epigraph to his 1994 collection of stories The Informers. Ellis of course satirises the glamour of Hollywood (and New York) quite brutally, but I've always felt that his satire is a loose cover over an uncritical obsession Ellis has for the beautiful rich people. His characters may share with John Fante's an absence of conformity, but otherwise I don't think they are similar writers at all.

Dan Fante's books do seem to be difficult to get hold of at the moment. I must have got them at the right time I suppose, although I'd still like to get my hands on the collection of poems and some of the plays he's also written.

He's obviously taken inspiration and talent from his father, but writes with a much darker edge. For all of the non-conformity and cynicism to be found in the work of John Fante, there's often just a touch of sentimentality to take some of the edge off. All good Italian boys love their moma I guess, and that comes out in the stories of his childhood. There's none of that in Dan's work, his attitude and viewpoint are much more in line with Bukowski.

As for satirising Hollywood, you may like the Bukowski novella of the same name, which is a thinly veiled telling of Bukowski's experiences with 'The Dream Factory' during the making of 'Barfly', a film based on his work. I'd love to know what Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway made of his fictionalised versions of them.

K-S

I bought this collection yesterday on a whim and have read the first story, Wifebeater Bob. I like the voice of the narrator. Didn't quite like the ending of it (I rather like Steinbeck, don't ya know, buddy?) but the story, less than twenty pages, was crammed with character.

I also like the bookmark that comes with the collection. Neat touch.

??? The only bookmark I got was a Foyles receipt slip.

It's not strictly a Corksucker bookmark. It's a Wrecking Ball Press bookmark and it was tucked between the cover and first page.

Here's what it looks like:
fantemark.jpg

Back