• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Danger, Will Robinson, danger

WriterJohnB

I don't know if this is the place to post this but there is a problem with a member called "manuscript x." Not only has he threatened me with bodily harm (ho,hum.) but he also posted this, in a poem. "Stylish Girls, pregnancy walk away and beat them into submission. Pretty Lips, vaginal, is not of the mouth. I sometimes wonder what it takes to open them with sweet sounds." With what is known of internet predators, I hope the moderators of this forum will take action. I also hope you will delete this thread after reading it.

John Bushore

I think poem is a very loose description of this crap.

But, having read it, I don't see what the problem is. It's expression (of some description) and since it's in the Writers' Showcase area of the forum I personally see no reason to remove it. I have no idea what the first sentence you have quoted is meant to mean since it's a garbled mess but the following two show ol' manuscriptx up to be some sort of loner who never gets the girl. If it helps him get over it, then let him.

With what is known of internet predators, I hope the moderators of this forum will take action
I fail to see the connection between internet predators and a poor poem. Are you insinuating that manuscriptx is an internet predator?

Forgot to say, if you want to contact the mods about stuff then you can use the report post icon that appears at the top of each post (
report.gif
) and a ticket will be opened regarding the post for mods to discuss.

I'm new here and don't want to step on anyone's toes...but I have been reading Manuscript's posts and I believe that this is not an appropriate venue for him to be posting his work. He is obviously disturbed, delusional and perhaps, very dangerous to himself or others. I think the responsible thing to do is to encourage him to seek professional help, perhaps issue a warning to him and delete his ramblings. He should definitely not be encouraged.

It's been tried. He's all over monster.com as screen name xttwo and they have often strongly suggested drugs. Just google both screen names and "internal conflict" and be awed by his brilliance. He's invented some great device but won't let anyone know about it because they'll steal it. There's even one place where he uses a pseudonym (I know his real name) and pretends that he's African American so he can blame racism for his problems. He's also all over the Ghostbuster sites and has been in every writing forum I've ever heard of and many that I hadn't. I think that he might go away if we just ignore him, but it's difficult to do.

I'm pretty much a newcomer here, also, but I tend to shoot off my mouth, er keyboard, whereever I am.

JohnB

It's been tried. He's all over monster.com as screen name xttwo and they have often strongly suggested drugs. Just google both screen names and "internal conflict" and be awed by his brilliance. He's invented some great device but won't let anyone know about it because they'll steal it. There's even one place where he uses a pseudonym (I know his real name) and pretends that he's African American so he can blame racism for his problems. He's also all over the Ghostbuster sites and has been in every writing forum I've ever heard of and many that I hadn't. I think that he might go away if we just ignore him, but it's difficult to do.

I'm pretty much a newcomer here, also, but I tend to shoot off my mouth, er keyboard, whereever I am.

JohnB

Well, then we are kindred souls! I also have a big mouth! I used to belong to a spoiler board for a popular US show that had a similar member. He was actually a published writer. One book. Available through Amazon and morbidly depressing. As was the author. He started a thread on suicide and it became his very own self-indulgent pity party. It was horrific. Later he also started an obsessive-compulsive thread! He was obviously disturbed and I was somewhat disappointed that the administrator and moderators let it go on and on and on. His personal issues had no business being posted on a spoiler board for a television show. I guess you could argue that Manuscript's writings are appropriate for a thread on writing. I disagree. He is not sharing writing. He is attempting to be controversial and to attract attention. I would prefer to see involvement in those threads limited to people who truly want feedback and would like to engage in civil conversations. I don't consider the types of threats he has made particularly "civil". Lots of boards would ban someone for making a threat like that. I think he deserves at a minimum, a warning. Just my thoughts. I like the board and will continue to pop in and out.

While his "poetry" is rather stupid, there isn't really much to do about it. Lots of people come to the Writers Showcase and post garbage. We get excerpts from terrible novels, students looking for us to proof read their assignments and other such nonsense. I personally find that to be much more frustrating than this user's posts. My best suggestion is that everyone should just ignore him. I will, however, check to make sure that his "poem" has an adult rating on it.

Just a related question, regarding some of the statements recently made by manuscriptx and eyez0nme - is the rule about personal attacks earning you a warning abolished, or is calling people retards and threatening to "break every bone in their body" simply not strong enough to qualify as personal attacks? Not that I'm arguing for censorship here, I'm just curious as to where the line is drawn...

There's a feature called the "ignore" feature.

I hear it works pretty well.
Perhaps a few of you can give it a try?

I would encourage our newer members to have some faith in the mods. I know that if the mods see anything that leans towards threats or references to children specifically, they will act.

I would encourage our newer members to have some faith in the mods. I know that if the mods see anything that leans towards threats or references to children specifically, they will act.

I was not questioning the moderators at all. I am simply sharing an opinion. My concern is that when any conversation on a message board takes a turn and enters the realm of personal threats - that seems to me to be cause for concern and perhaps a good reason to issue a warning or a temporary ban. This guy already has threatened and provoked. Just my opinion. I am aware of the ignore button and will use it when I feel the need. Right now I am reading the on-going nonsense but not participating. He seems to thrive on negative feedback.

I was not questioning the moderators at all. I am simply sharing an opinion. My concern is that when any conversation on a message board takes a turn and enters the realm of personal threats - that seems to me to be cause for concern and perhaps a good reason to issue a warning or a temporary ban. This guy already has threatened and provoked. Just my opinion. I am aware of the ignore button and will use it when I feel the need. Right now I am reading the on-going nonsense but not participating. He seems to thrive on negative feedback.

That's cool Smilia, just pointed out that the mods have dealt with similar matters in the past. Ignoring it isn't the ethical thing to do, that is the minimalist approach to this situation IMHO. When someone is in the wrong, they should be called on it-period.

I suspect that if manuscriptx realizes he's not getting any replies to his work, he will stop posting. He thrives on attention, and whether it is positive or negative, uses it to inflate his already overblown ego.

I think if he was banned, he would simply come back again under a different name and it wouldn't do much good. Admittedly, even though he's creepy, he hasn't done anything to get himself banned. To be quite honest--and I don't have whatever evidence WriterJohnB does--he's probably some twelve-year-old sitting at his dad's computer wishing he had a date, pretending to be a glorious writer.

To be quite honest--and I don't have whatever evidence WriterJohnB does--he's probably some twelve-year-old sitting at his dad's computer wishing he had a date, pretending to be a glorious writer.

Or a 55 year old grocery clerk living in his mother's basement with a thesaurus propped up on his battered desk. ;) :D

Or a 55 year old grocery clerk living in his mother's basement with a thesaurus propped up on his battered desk. ;) :D

No she'd probably be dead by now if he still lived there. He's probably a 55 year old grocery clerk who lives in his parents' old house in Massachusetts before they moved to California to get away from him.

Actually, he's about 27-29, lives with his mother (dad is dead) and has been unemployed for a couple of years. He does not have a driver's license. I've seen 2 of his "films," 1 was awful, the other (a fan-flick Ghostbusters parody) was only miserable. Just joking, it was just good, clean fun by a few guys goofing around. The Guy has SOME talent, everyone does, but anyone who will not accept an honest appraisal, i.e. "I didn't understand it," will never improve. I worry about him, but I've seen several other forums where he's been advised to seek professional help and he thrives on this, with the idea that everyone else is stupid and wants to dumb him down on drugs.

I've got him on ignore now, and I urge you all to do the same.

JohnB

Back