• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Danish Literature

abecedarian

As some of you know, I'm participating in Challenge with some folks at bookcrossing, to read one book per nation that will be participating in the Bejiing 2008 Games. I'm looking for suggestions for Denmark this time, and thought to see if any of you Reader Rabbits had suggestions. While this post is in the Fiction area, don't hesitate to suggest nonfiction too. I'm looking forward to the agony of choosing just one for my official count..so bring 'em on!

A few of the most famous Danish authors.
H.C.Andersen:
Probably Denmarks most famous author. Especially known for his many fairy-tales, but his his other works are also highly regarded. Your best bet is probably to find some collection of fairy-tales.
Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen and other pseudonyms):
Classic Danish author that actually wrote most of her books in English and later translated them to Danish. Often proclaimed as one of the first feminists though she denied it herself. Probably best known for "Seven gothic tales", "Babettes feast" and "Out of africa".
Martin Andersen Nexø:
Author of many books about the poor working class of the early 1900's. He was brought up in a very poor family and had intimate knowledge about the subject, and unlike many other similar authors his books are not so overly pessimistic (At least not his most popular works). His communist sympathies and support of the Soviet Union probably hurt his popularity in the western world, though he was very famous in eastern europe. His most popular works are "Pelle, The conqueror" and "Ditte: Menneskebarn" (Could not find any english title).

Tom Kristensen - Hærværk (there's an English translation under the title "Havoc". No clue how good it is). An excellent, odd, almost modernistic, novel about a journalist (book reviewer) who does his damndest to drink himself to death and generally ruin his own life.
Note that he should not be confused with the Norwegian crime writer of the same name.

Hermann Bang - Stuk (eng. trans: "Stucco", again no clue about the quality)
Bang was one of the post-romantic authors, "The Modern Break-through" would be a direct translation of what we call them over here. Cf August Strindberg.
This 1887 novel tells a love story of sorts over the background of a time when Copenhagen was changing quickly. Think Emile Zola.

Argh, I meant to write better descriptions, but I need to catch the bus to work. I'm sure you can search the web for information on either book and get some decent information anyways.

Thanks! I'll have fun looking up these folks and deciding..what will probably happen is I'll wind up reading way more than one title for Denmark..which is just not a bad thing at all!

Back