• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dark Psychological Thriller

JamiMarie3

A month after reading A Darkness More Than Night I'm in pursuit of a horror novel. But not just any horror novel; I'm looking for something very specific.

Something in the Hieronymus Bosch storyline really made me appreciate the dark, twisted, nightmarish section of fiction and art. So, I'm looking for something that fits into those categories. Something that's well written, captivating and completely unnerving.

I've read a few Stephen King books and while good, I don't find them particularly frightening. The same goes for most crime books. I've read plenty that try to get into the criminal mind (because my parents are in love with the genre) but it's the same thing. Serial killers? It would depend I guess. I'm definitely looking for a psychological thriller though.

Gore? Breaking out the movie references, I loves the psychological aspect of Saw and the gore was standable. Hostile... I didn't get through much of it. But seeing as this is a book, it might be acceptable.

Recap: Dark, nightmarish, captivating, unnerving, psychological thriller, I want something oozing.. satanic.. rays or something. ;) Vampires? More erotic than evil.

If anyone can give a good suggestion, I'll be eternally grateful. : D

My book suggestion: State of Fear - Michael Chrichton is the best action/sci-fi book about global warming in all of history. Everyone should read it.

Try Kay Hooper those are good if its vampires i'd go for Laurell K Hamilton. Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan combine vampires with a bit of romance/eroticness

Suggestion

JAMIEMARIE3

Horror is definfitely not my genre ... it's too scary for me

But from discussions and internet friends to me THE EXORCIST; and the AMITYVILLE HORROR sound like waht you are looking for.

I also suggest you put HORROR NOVELS into your search engine and you will find a zillion hits with lots of info.

GOOD LUCK

Thomas Harris, Red Dragon (filmed twice, actually, not badly, either, but neither picture does justice to the book). Scary. Great read.

William Hallahan, The search for Joseph Tully. More on the spooky side, certainly different, and terrific in atmosphere. One of my all-time favorites in the horror genre - because it is so different. Has the additional benefit that you will almost certainly be the only one far and wide to have read it, in my experience.

Iain Banks, The Wasp Factory. Very gothic and, being Banks, a bit flashy. Should certainly come through in the disturbing department.

William Hallahan, The search for Joseph Tully. More on the spooky side, certainly different, and terrific in atmosphere. One of my all-time favorites in the horror genre - because it is so different. Has the additional benefit that you will almost certainly be the only one far and wide to have read it, in my experience.

I've just about to read this, I was looking for something different and intrigued by your appraisal above and the fact it wasn't readily available (thanks ebay!). Couldn't find much about it on the tinterweb either. ooo can't wait to get stuck in!

Egads, please don't recommend The Wasp Factory. The first 7/8's of the book are indeed creepy and unnerving, but the ending is such a gigantic letdown that it makes the previous parts of the book feel like a waste of time. I wish I'd never read that book.

If you want a creepy and psychological book, something really innovative and interesting, go with The Debt to Pleasure by John Lancaster. It's about a gourmet food critic who writes the book in the form of food recipes, but slowly talks less and less about food and reveals more of his family history and growing insanity. It's brilliant.

A few more suggestions:

If you have the stomach for a difficult, but desperately rewarding read, check out House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It's wonderful. It's books within books within books. I can't even describe it.

For something along the lines of a well-written serial killer story, almost literary in its prose style, read Perfume by Patrick Suskind.

Laurell K Hamilton is not really dark horror more like romance, suspense and action with vampires and werewolves.

I would suggest Dean Koontz as well for dark horror.

Back