• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dave Duncan: Appreciation Thread

Oberon

With more than thirty novels, Dave Duncan is a well-established writer of fantasy novels. Master of extended stories: "A Man of His Word" (includes The Magic Casement) and "A Handful of Men," he has also created a series of stand-alone novels that share the world of "The King's Blades" (The Gilded Chain, Paragon Lost). Check his Web site: Dave Duncan's Fantasy Unlimited. I recommend taking a look at his work!

Discuss!

O

i've always likec to read dave's works, although his writing goes hot and cold on me.
i must confess, i haven't read "the years of longdirk", nor "a man of his word"
my favorite series was "the seventh sword" definately not typical fantasy.
second favorite is the tales of the kings blades

To be honest I have only read one book by Duncan and it has always held a spot on my shelf since it was "The Hunters' Haunt" a story of Omar the trader of tales. What can I say I've always had a thing for vagabond storytellers. :D

I've never even heard of him. Never seen his books on the shelves in the bookshops. Perhaps we're not supposed to read him in the UK. Some sort of ancient bylaw might be in place. When I looked through the reviews for one of his books on Amazon.co.uk there wasn't a single one there from a Brit. Canada, Pakistan, Sweden and the US were all represented. Is there some big secret in his books that little English girls aren't allowed to know about? :confused:

Oberon said:
He's from Scotland. Nuff said! :D :cool:

That explains it completely. They probably have the border patrol out burning his books even as I type. And they delete all the Scottish reviews of his books on Amazon lest our sensitive English eyes be sullied by their heathen comments.

I'll keep an eye out for him in the future. The shop might slip up and let some of this contraband on to the shelves.

Magical creatures or magical swordsmen ...

Either The Magic Casement or The Guilded Chain would be excellent choices from his list.

I'll add him to my Amazon list in preparation for when I'm allowed to buy books again. But he better be good or I'll hunt you down. :mad:

Ooh, The Magic Casement has a review from Wales. Getting closer.

I'm not sure I finished that series, but I was disappointed, too. And really, I wasn't very happy with the turns taken in the "Handful of Men" series, either. But Duncan is on a strong run with the King's Blades series, so don't give up on him yet!

O

thats exactly what i was talking about..
the great game left you feeling lost and confused
and a handful of men was just disjointed

Back