• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dave Pelzer

cantona7

Just read Dave Pelzers trilogy 'The Lost Boy',heard somewhere that he made it all up.Find this hard to believe.Anyone else know anything about these rumours?

I have read all three Dave Pelzer books myself and i have never heard about him making it all up!

He now works with children at risk so unless hes just a sick minded man who gets a kick out of it i really carnt see them being true!

Unless his brother, Richard Pelzer, was in on it, I doubt it. I read Dave Pelzer's trilogy about a month ago and Richard Pelzer's 'A Brother's Story' soon after.

Never read anything he wrote, but my wife read A child called "It" for her masters program. Everything that I've ever heard or read about him has been very positive-I'd say you're hearing unsubstantiated rumors.:cool:

A Child Called 'It' -- Dave Pelzer

Anybody else read this?

I personally found this book to be powerful, gripping stuff. One of my favourite books when I was younger was Goodnight, Mister Tom, and this book contained many elements which strongly reminded me of my childhood favourite, which I think drew me to like to book even more. I can't seem to summon any words to mind to describe this amazing book, other than impacting and emotionally-draining. A definite must-read, in my opinion.

I did find a few parts hard to get through - especially
when his mother smeared his face with feces and then ordered him to eat his brother's fresh defecation, and the time when he was squeezing his stab wound together to get rid of the pus - I actually almost vomited at that part
- but I would never have given up on this inspiring novel of survival and hope.

I purchased this novel in a book containing the other two books in the trilogy - are these other two worth reading?

MC, I read these prolly 3-4 years ago. I loved them! I think I never read the last one of him as a adult. They are tear jerkers for me to read. I can't believe that someone could be treated so terribly.

I have read the three books as well and as a mum i carnt believe anyone could treat there kids in this way.
It was heartbreaking and i did cry a few times but i needed to finish them in the hope that David made a better life for himself.

I would definately recommend the other books as otherwise it is just a very depressing story. I don't want to say too much about the other books or I will ruin it for you but I found them to be very inspirational.

I have this one, but haven't read it in a few years. (I think I read the other 2 as well. Not quite sure of the last, but I'm almost positive that I DID read it.) Very, very good book. There were times, while reading it, that I just felt absolutely sick at the things that poor boy had to go thru! It's so hard to believe, as a mother, that someone can put their child thru what this child went thru. But I'm glad he got his story out, especially if it helped him in the healing process.

I think I may just have to read this one again. Since it's been so long and all.

My wife read this one a few years back for one of her graduate courses. It is quite an inspirational story. One of the snippets that I read from it was where he was in a police cruiser and he found out that he would not go back to his mother ever again and that everything would be o.k. It's amazing what some people go through in this life.:(

I actually read the second one first, knowing the story behind the first one. After reading it I then read the first one. It was eye opening and disturbing and so very sad. It's amazing that he grew up to be so well adjusted.

My friend has been trying to get me to read this book for a few years now, but I really don't think I could deal with it. I've never been able to handle those kinds of stories. They make me feel sick and angry.

I've just finished this book, and have never felt so sick to the stomach as I do right now. It's certainly not the sort of book that one can say they enjoyed reading, it's just so heartwrenching from start to end.

Does anyone know whether his mother was prosecuted and the outcome of the trial? I'd really feel better knowing that she got her comeuppance.

In reading a recent story about authors who make things up or exaggerate, Pelzer's family on his mother's side claim that many of his stories simply never happened. Then again, you have to consider the source.:rolleyes:

I'm sure some authors do, SFG75, and I'd have slept a whole lot better last night if I could convince myself that the things in the book didn't happen. But, unfortunately, his mother came across as a prize manipulator (i.e. the home visit by the social worker scene). I was so incensed by the book that I did some research on the internet last night, and it seems that his mother was also abused by her family, which certainly gives credence to his abuse, and a good reason for her family to claim that it was not true.

I wanted to read those when they first came out, but my mother wouldn't let me. I think because she thought they were about a kid who was a hermaphrodite or something. *puzzled* There was never much she wouldn't let me read.

I can certainly understand why your mother wouldn't let you read them; I don't think I've ever read a book that has left me feeling so angry.

Well, it doesn't matter now. As she said, I'm 17; in November I'll be 18 and she won't be able to say anything anyway. So now I'm allowed to read whatever I want. ^^ My parents were strict when I was growing up--more with movies and TV than books, though--and it's kind of a shock to have such power so suddenly.

SFG75 said:
In reading a recent story about authors who make things up or exaggerate, Pelzer's family on his mother's side claim that many of his stories simply never happened. Then again, you have to consider the source.:rolleyes:
Do you have links to this info?

It was very uneasy for me to read this book. I get quesy (sp?) very easily so when I read the disgusting, hurtful, nasty things the mother did to this boy I couldn't go on. But I finished it anyway just to see the ending and even that made me cry.

It is a very moving book and I still cannot believe a mother would do these things to their child. It is so upsetting but a book I feel everyone should read.

Back