• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Gemmel

Rincewind

To be honest I'd never heard of this fellow until I saw his name on a poster in my local bookshop today.
Has anyone read any of his stuff and if so is it any good? he's going to be signing copies of his latest book very close to where I live soon.
I just wondered if it would be worth going to get a signed copy. :)

He's apparently not too shabby, with plenty of TBFers recommending him over in the SF and Fantasy forum. I've never read him myself, but his main characters seem to be mainly barbarian/fighter types, which had never been a particular favourite of mine.

If you've an opportunity to get a signed copy, do it anyway and maybe some Gemmel fanatics will try to buy it off you.

ds

I've read 3 books by him, 2 which were very good and one which was average. I recommend Legend (aka Against the Horde) and The King Beyond the Gate which are the first 2 books of the Drenai saga. They are basically manly man action/adventure fantasy!!!

Gemmell is excellent if only looking for linear, very formulaic, fantasy. He is very good at simple stories, and maybe the best at conveying true heroism in the genre right now. He really knoes how to instill that faeture into a character in a book, whether it's Druss (a real popular character of his) or another.

I tend to prefer his Rigante series, however his Drenai work is much more popular, and even mroe so a little more laymen in structure.

If you like hack/slash sword/sorcery tales about fighting, and last stands, etc he is worth looking into.

That said, he is very much what one would call a one trick pony (think Dan Brown). Most of his stories are very similar structurally and thematicaly, and his works is very derivative from one book to another - even series crossing, which makes me think although he does go out to satisfy his core audience with what they like, you can't shake the feeling that if you read one Gemmell book, you read them all.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but many do enjoy his work.

Gemmel writes fast paced action filled heroic fantasy. You will not get many surprises but its a good beach read. As ainulindale said, once you have read one of his books you have read them all. In a way the biggest difference between his characters lie in what weapon they prefer to use. The stories are very similar even if one hero uses a big axe and the other a special crossbow.

But if you are tired of Jordans endless ramblings, try Gemmel and see how a fantasy author can finish a story in just 400 pages.

Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57

Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57

Fantasy novelist David Gemmell, best known for stories such as Legend and Waylander, has died at the age of 57.

Gemmell had heart bypass surgery two weeks ago and appeared to be making a good recovery, according to his publisher Transworld.

His career began in 1984 with Legend, a tale of a fortress under siege. He wrote 30 novels in total.

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said Gemmell was "writing at the peak of his powers".

"He was a true pleasure to work with," he said.

"We will surely miss him, as will his thousands of devoted fans around the world. Our thoughts are with his wife Stella and his two children."

A statement from the publisher said he died on Friday morning.
It added: "His themes of heroic adventure, leadership, personal heroism and the possibility of redemption for every one of us ring as true today as they did when he first published the novel that was to become a classic of heroic fantasy, Legend."

SFX magazine editor Dave Bradley said: "Gemmell wrote heroic fantasy novels - he had a real sense of adventure about him, wrote stories about great battles.

"At the heart, they're cracking fantasy yarns but he also had a good eye for character and how people develop, like how a young soldier deals with war.

"He had masterful plotting and a real sense of how excitement builds in a story. His books were real page-turners."

The second part of a planned trilogy of historical novels, Troy: The Shield of Thunder No 2, is due to be published in September.

Born in west London in 1948, Gemmell was expelled from school for gambling and went on to work as a labourer, driver's assistant and bouncer before becoming a journalist and newspaper editor.

Source: BBC News

Back