• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Wroblewski: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

You know it really saddens me that so many people won't read a book or watch a movie because it's "popular" It's also amazing that you could be missing out on something wonderful simply for that fact as well. It's a shame you won't be reading this, because you are truly missing out.

I'm plenty busy reading my Biology, Diversity, and Humanities textbooks. Besides, there are so many books I'd rather read anyway.

You know it really saddens me that so many people won't read a book or watch a movie because it's "popular" It's also amazing that you could be missing out on something wonderful simply for that fact as well. It's a shame you won't be reading this, because you are truly missing out.

I did not like Oprah's picks either until I read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.I think she is finally listening to me.(lol) I have heard many good things about this book,now as to when I will be picking it up and reading it I don't know.

I read it when it first came out. I like Wroblewski's writing style but the book's ending ruined it for me. I donated my copy to the library, just before Oprah picked it. I'll bet they were glad to have an extra.

I fell in love with the book, but after I finished it I felt robbed. It seemed to me that he just wanted to end it. Seemed very rushed.

Wasn't The Road by Cormac McCarthy also an "Oprah Pick"?
I thought it was amazing.

Wasn't The Road by Cormac McCarthy also an "Oprah Pick"?
I thought it was amazing.

It was, and it was. :)

I won't read a book just because it's an Oprah pick, but I won't not read one just because she picked it. She's chosen some excellent books.

Live Webcast with Oprah and "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" author David Wroblewski

Hello – I’m here on behalf of Oprah's Book Club and want to let you know you can register now for the world's largest interactive book club discussion exclusively on Oprah.com! The Story of Edgar Sawtelle author David Wroblewski and Oprah are sitting down for a one-time-only live webcast on Monday, January 26, at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT.

To reserve your “seat” on Oprah.com today, please visit Oprah.com.

Do you have questions about The Story of Edgar Sawtelle? Do you wonder how Claude became so hateful, or how Trudy could have reacted the way she did? Do you want to know more about David and his road to becoming a celebrated author? Did the Sawtelles' love for their dogs especially touch your heart? Do you have your own amazing dog story? We want to hear your questions and thoughts about the book - anything and everything is up for discussion!

I've just finally gotten my hands on this book and started it last night. I do tend to be put off by knowing that a book's on Oprah's list, but I won't avoid it because of that (and I did love Middlesex, too, as well as I Know This Much is True!). Anyway, this was on Amazon's top lists for a while, and that's got to say something good about it. I had to settle for a large-print edition at my library since there's a huge queue for the regular one, and it feels a little silly reading something with large text, but I am definitely getting drawn in. I'm only about 100 pages in (which is less in regular-sized text!), but I'm looking forward to getting further in it. I'll let you guys know what I think of it :)

Finished the book today :)

I know you guys didn't like the ending and I haven't decided yet if I liked it or not -- I only JUST finished it -- but I will say that it was SO refreshing to have an ending that I didn't see a mile away. I appreciate authors who come up with an ending that was different from the obvious happy ending.

edgar Sawtelle

I just finished the book, and it was one of those books where you hate to see it end, because you know it will be a long long time before you read another one as good as it.
course that is only my opinion.
It has been compared to Hamlet, which I could see the connection.
one of the questions to discuss on the web page, was how much a reader kept in mind the Prologue when they were reading the book....and to tell the truth, I had forgot about it...it didn't dawn on me until after, that it was Claude that was in China, and went and saw the guy who gave him the bottle of poison.
I was actually sobbing when the author was describing how Almondine felt when Edgar had run away.......animals can't talk, and we really don't know what they are thinking, but it was sooooooo sad to think a dog could think the way he was describing, it ripped my heart out, and I am not a weepy person.
I will read this book again.

Back