• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dean Koontz: Life Expectancy

Surely you get to a point, especially when the author is prolific, where you just get bored of them and decide to move on and up.

Stewart said:
Surely you get to a point, especially when the author is prolific, where you just get bored of them and decide to move on and up.

Not really - if you like that author's style and they keep writing enjoyable books, I for one am quite happy to stick with them. It's like having a comfortable pair of slippers. It doesn't mean that I think their books are always wonderful, though; every writer turns out books that are not up to his/her usual standard. Now Stewart, I know you are dying to say something about Koontz's usual standard here, so here is a challenge if you want to accept it. :)

Have you read Koontz's "Intensity"? If not, would you like to read it and then post your opinion in this thread? I know there are hundreds of books you would rather spend your time on, but I would be interested to know what you think of it, as myself, Bountyhunter and many others consider it to be one of his best. What do you say?

Halo said:
Have you read Koontz's "Intensity"? If not, would you like to read it and then post your opinion in this thread?

I tried this book and couldn't get into it. I'd heard so much about it on this forum, and I know alot of people think it's his best book, but I couldn't get very far with it. :rolleyes: I got up to the part where
she gets into the killer's motorhome with him, and he starts driving off
. Not very far, I know. :eek:

I don't really like many of his books, but I didn't mind Velocity, and I loved The Watchers. I don't read many of his books anymore, but I find his books like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. :p Whereas, my experience of other authors, is that generally when I like one of their books, I like all of them (with a few exceptions of course). With Koontz, it's always 50/50 (if that) whether I'll like it.

Halo said:
Now Stewart, I know you are dying to say something about Koontz's usual standard here, so here is a challenge if you want to accept it. :)

Have you read Koontz's "Intensity"? If not, would you like to read it and then post your opinion in this thread? I know there are hundreds of books you would rather spend your time on, but I would be interested to know what you think of it, as myself, Bountyhunter and many others consider it to be one of his best. What do you say?

:eek::eek::eek::eek: fantastic!!!

I'm gutted to read this thread.

I am on with Intensity now and think it's very good. It's my first experience reading horror (other than Shelley's Frankenstein...) and so maybe I haven't had time to get used to his formula (if he has one), or to get a feel for what makes a good horror.

I am furiously adding other Koontz recommendations to my TBR, just to try... but it's disappointing to read that you don't know what you're getting with him.

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jacking, I'll just sit back and get ready for the show now too. :)

Halo, I'll read it when I get a chance. I actually own a copy of it, bought years ago in a supermarket but left untouched. I just got ten books out the library yesterday and I'm working through them in addition to A Prayer for Owen Meany.

OK. When you get around to reading it, will you post a review here? I'd love to know what you thought of it. Koontz can write better books than The Bad Place, honestly!

Of course I'll post a review when I get round to it.

I know he can write better plots than The Bad Place; it was just so painstakingly daft that I got my coat and left. :D

Back