• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dean Koontz

angel64

I'm halfway through 'By the Light of the Moon' - it's going okay so far - it's only the second Dean Koontz book I have read - can anyone recommend another of his novels?

These are from my list to read, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them:

The Face of Fear
The Bad Place
Intensity
Odd Thomas

I really liked the Chris Snow series -

Seize the Night
Fear Nothing

He still writing the third one, but in his own words -

"When I started the third Chris Snow book, I quickly discovered that it was likely to be a huge adventure story, packed full of wild stuff, and more epic in scope than the first two. I put it aside to think about it, intending to write False Memory and then go back to it — and instead have written a series of books while I work on the third Snow, which is titled Ride the Storm. It will be done one day, but it's a book that insists on setting its own pace."

So, i guess it will come when it comes!! :)

I have also enjoyed Phantoms and The Face!

Phil

i"ve only read "Tick Tock" and "From the Corner of His Eye." They were pretty good. i liked the whole quantum physics aspect of "From the Corner...".

I've read nearly all of his novels, and I liked:

Intensity
The Face
Lightning
Dark Rivers of the Heart and
The one with the intelligent Golden Retriever dog - I've forgotten the title and I can't check it because most of my books are packed away in the cupboard. :(

Koontz sometimes starts to get on my nerves when he becomes overly preachy and "spiritual" in his books (can't explain it any better) but mostly I really like his work. :)

angel64 said:
I'm halfway through 'By the Light of the Moon' - it's going okay so far - it's only the second Dean Koontz book I have read - can anyone recommend another of his novels?

Watchers--it's what got me hooked on Koontz! ;)

Halo said:
The one with the intelligent Golden Retriever dog - I've forgotten the title and I can't check it because most of my books are packed away in the cupboard. :(

I believe that's the book that hyyt mentioned. Watchers, with the dog, Einstien. It's one of my favorites of his also.

RaVeN

Dean Koontz?

I just finished "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz,
I was under the impression that he was a horror writer.
while this book had elements of the supernatural in it, it was by no means a horror novel.
so what genre does Koontz fall into?
(Don't misunderstand me. the book was a really good read, in my opinion, just not what i was expecting)

Sometimes his book are really shocking and generally he writes horror but somtimes it's also kind of sience fiction (aliens, supernatural powers etc.). I read By the Light of the Moon and it wasn't much about horror either. :D

HE writes some horror, but I find that he tends toward scary alien stuff and supernatural. So I would categorize him as sci-fi. I tried to read By The Light Of The Moon, but couldn't get into it, adn I have an aunt that didn't like it either. I did enjoy some of his earlier work, Strangers and The Watcher (I think those are the titles, it's been a while :eek: )

I think that Koontz is like King, in that he gets unfairly lumped into the horror category. Many of Koontz's books I would call thrillers, with a minor supernatural aspect to them (often involving people being pursued by evil government agents for some reason or other).

I like his work, except for when he gets overly preachy about religion. :)

is that a pro- or anti- religiuos kind of kick he goes on?
i couldn't really tell from Odd Thomas, but i can guess he would be more anti religious

I can't remember any specifics, but I do remember there were certain books where he seemed to go on a very pro-religious kick, going on about hope and spirituality and that there must be some kind of "higher power" etc etc. Maybe I put the wrong interpretation on it, but to me it seemed very pro-religion. For me personally, I found it kind of irritating. :)

I don't believe you can just put him in one category. I think the scariest one of his I read was "Anxiety" (I believe that is what it was called), and it was not supernatural. I have read most of his books. "Odd Thomas" I bought but have not read.

At last count, I have 29 of his books and have read most of them. Like King and Rice he's been tagged as a horror writer, but if I had to label him, I guess it would be fantasy.

RaVeN

I own and have read all of his books apart from about three (could not get into Icebound).

Bird54 - don't remember one called Anxiety - what's that one about? :confused:

Raven - why would you put Koontz in fantasy? Please explain, referring to particular books and using quotes to support your opinion. Your answer will be marked out of 100 and returned to you when I can be bothered. :D :p

Back