• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dear America

Roheryn

Does anyone else read these books? I really like them, and have quite a few of them... My favorites are A Picture of Freedom, My Heart is on the Ground, One Eye Laughing, the other Weeping, Where have all the Flowers Gone?, Christmas after All, and Early Sunday Morning.

I used to read them when I was younger and really liked them. The only ones I own though are about Cleopatra VII, a girl during the Alamo, and a soldier in WWII.

I have one about a slave, one about a Puritan girl, and then I have a few Royal Diaries ones: Marie Antoinette, Cleopatra, Anastasia, and Isabella.

These were great! I've read "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie" (Oregon Trail); "The Winter of Red Snow" (American Revolution); "Journey to a New World" (Pilgrims); and one set on board the Titanic. "Red Snow" is probably my favorite. Pity you can't get them out here except through the Internet.

I've read a handlful of titles from this series, which my kids checked out from the library. I found them interesting and well written.

Anyway, I do have a few quibbles with this series. While portraying these youth's stories as diaries, the modern sensiblities of the author is all too evident in the politically correct, pinched nose, coverage of events, values and mores of peoples represented in the various eras.

Oooh, I loved these when I was about 8. I read many including a Pearl Harbor, mineman's daugher, WWII soldier, Vietnam soldier, and many others. I have a list somewhere, but I can't find it.

Back