• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

December 2008: Vladimir Nabokov: Speak, Memory

The book really tailed off for me during the last few chapters. What had been a slow saunter through an idyllic childhood began to be a jumpy journey through what may be thought of as a somewhat dissolute life.

Some would say Nabokov's childhood ended with the Bolshevik takeover of Russia and his family's flight to the Crimea and eventually emigration to western Europe. But it was not the loss of Russia that struck me as being the end of his childhood, but the loss of innocence and charm that preceded the flight.

The turning point for me was in Chapter 12-1, when Nabokov "took my adorable girl to all those secret spots in the woods, where I had daydreamed so ardently of meeting her, of creating her. In one particular pine grove, everything fell into place, I parted the fabric of fancy, I tasted reality.”

That loss of innocence was to be joined by his loss of charm in Chapter 12-2. After being with Tamara for a year, Nabokov “entered an extravagant phase of sentiment and sensuality, that was to last about ten years”. He saw himself as “a hundred different young men at once, all pursuing one changeful girl in a series of simultaneous or overlapping love affairs, some delightful, some sordid, that ranged from one-night adventures to protracted involvements and dissimulations, with very meager artistic results”.

Silverseason earlier commented regarding Chapter 3 that “as a teenager, Nabokov inherited the uncle's estate and the equivalent of a couple of million dollars. This wealth vaporized a year later in the Russian revolution. It is striking that Nabokov makes a great point that his loss is not the money, but his childhood.”

In Chapter 3-6, Nabokov himself recalls that “love affairs and verse writing occupied most of my leisure” and “during the brief year that I was in possession of that private wealth, I was too much absorbed by the usual delights of youth--youth that was rapidly losing its initial, non-usual fervor—either to derive any special pleasure from the legacy or to experience any annoyance when the Bolshevik Revolution abolished it overnight.”

However, before he goes, Nabokov makes one more journey into his understanding of time. In Chapter 14-1, he puts forward the idea that "the spiral is a spiritualized circle" and describes the "essential spirality of all things in their relation to time."

In the west, we sometimes think of history as being like an arrow moving inevitably toward progress. In the east, it is sometimes thought there is no genuine or absolute progress, as history is circular. Nabokov combines these approaches, creating a spiral that moves toward progress while at the same time passing through Hegelian circles. He goes one step further by affixing his concept not just to history in general, but to his own history.

But Nabokov sees his life not just as a spiral. He sees it as “a colored spiral in a small ball of glass”. Thus the parallel rail lines we keep viewing throughout the book – time, color and glass – at last come together by anastomosis.

Back