• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Deviant Behaviour

you are supposed to go somewhere private or out of the way to blow.....your nose. let us be clear.

your hugging one made me think of when i was pregnant. i was HUGE. MASSIVE. my first son weighed 11 and a half pounds, and it showed. and people were always touching me. rubbing my tummy, talking to the baby etc. somehow becoming pregnant your stomach becomes public property. i found it really invasive and offensive.

jenngorham said:
people were always touching me. rubbing my tummy, talking to the baby etc. somehow becoming pregnant your stomach becomes public property. i found it really invasive and offensive.
I have heard this complaint from many women. I guess this is one thing that is common across all countries!

Motokid said:
"my favourite deviant behaviour in japan was that it is soooooooooooooo rude to blow your nose in public, soooooo rude, yet you see people picking it everywhere. not really deviant for them i guess."

So what are you supposed to do, walk around with snot running down your lip into your mouth? Sniff it all back up into your head? What's the proper thing to do if you have a cold, or allergies and your nose is running?

Here's my pieve. Hugging. What's with some people and hugging? I took a few classes with a woman at least 5 years ago. Haven't even seen her in more than 4 years. Never touched her before (I mean like shaking hands or something like that...). Made small talk on occasion in class. I run into her in a grocery store about a month ago and she just walks up and hugs me. :confused: Very uncomforable for me.

I hate that hugging thing too. Sometimes when I just extend my hand to people--especially women--after a dinner or something, I get this look like I'm the weirdo, like we're supposed to kiss and hug. I think people who expect the hugging thing don't interact with the business world very much.

But I think it is so cool that in Paris, you see a bunch of teenagers meet on the street, and they all kiss-kiss eachother, even boy-to-boy. It's not intimate or sexy, just sort of nice, friendly behavior.

I really, really hate it when my personal space is violated, such as when someone stands too close to me. I have to control my urge to elbow strangers in lines.

I, personally, don't like the kissing thing. To me, it's intimate, to put my mouth close to someone's face. NO! I don't like my face being invaded by soemone else's mouth, either (he who hates ironing aside).

When I was pregnant, I had people touching and stuff as well. Very annoying and personal.

Also, I have VERY long curly hair and people always want to touch it. I hate that. I never want to touch anyone else's hair! Why do people want to do touch mine? Eeewwww!

However, I am not averse to hugging my friends and them hugging me.

I had a freind who hated it if someone touched her hair. I used to touch her hair just to irritate her :D

Geenh said:
Also, I have VERY long curly hair and people always want to touch it. I hate that. I never want to touch anyone else's hair! Why do people want to do touch mine? Eeewwww!

Same here. I had one person touch my hair, and then get all pissy when they were allergic to my shampoo. Like I ASKED her to touch my hair.

I hate the huggers, too. I have some clients who are huggers. I had one guy who said, "It's nice to meet you" while giving me a big ole hug. I noticed he didn't hug my (male) boss. :mad:

That'll teach them! Shampoo allergy! Good one!

I keep my hair up for months on end because I get sick of the reaction. I DO NOT know why someone would want to touch the hair of someone they don't know! It's like asking to touch someone's nose or their knee. Why?

I get patients that are huggers but I cannot say to a neurologically ill (and in some cases ill in many other ways) pateint to piss off buddy, you're invading!

novella said:
I've read that in Japan, you can be right on top of someone in a crowded train and they do an excellent job of maintaining their personal space even though there is none. They will not make eye contact with you, and it's considered very rude to look directly at them.

just saw this little clip. this is so true.Here

my sister came to visit me when i lived there and we were coming back from the narita airport at peak travel time. her knapsack got caught in the "tide" of people heading out the doors and this being her first intro to japan was a little freaked out. she was being pulled out the door, not at our stop and was yelling at the top of her lungs,"i'm going i'm going!!!!!!" my uncle who came over with her grabbed the strap and held on. she said it literally felt like she was being swept away by the current.

Back