• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Diana Gabaldon: Outlander

Yes,push through it,it's worth it,and you still have about a million more pages after that .I am so excited the new book is coming out in 2009.
It is! Oo I'm excited already!

Do you know what the title is?

Matty j - Definitely push through it. Dragonfly in Amber was my least favourite (although I still liked it) and there are many more great books after that one.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site but I've been really trying to get a hold of people who really enjoy reading and there aren't many book clubs around me so I thought I'd join a forum.

I'm not sure if this is a re-post or not but I was just interested in finding out other people's opinions on Outlander (or Cross Stitch in the UK) by Diana Gabaldon. My fiance's mom told me that I should read this book because she loved it (she didn't tell me it was apart of a series at the time). I put it off until she finally bought me the book to get me to read it. I read it and fell in love with the characters and the story. I went out and bought the rest of the series (6 books total) and couldn't put them down. I just finished the series about a week ago.

So, if you've read the book, what did you like about it? What didn't you like? Did you have any favorite parts?

*I'll post later my favorite parts after there are a few replies*

In case you have not read the book here is a summary (from Google Books because it's late and I wanted to be able to at least give some idea of what the book is about with out giving too much away).

"Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...

In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles (Stone Hedge). Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war andraiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny in soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch.She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives."

I hope at least one person will become intrigued and read the book!! :)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site but I've been really trying to get a hold of people who really enjoy reading and there aren't many book clubs around me so I thought I'd join a forum.

I'm not sure if this is a re-post or not but I was just interested in finding out other people's opinions on Outlander (or Cross Stitch in the UK) by Diana Gabaldon. My fiance's mom told me that I should read this book because she loved it (she didn't tell me it was apart of a series at the time). I put it off until she finally bought me the book to get me to read it. I read it and fell in love with the characters and the story. I went out and bought the rest of the series (6 books total) and couldn't put them down. I just finished the series about a week ago.

So, if you've read the book, what did you like about it? What didn't you like? Did you have any favorite parts?

*I'll post later my favorite parts after there are a few replies*

In case you have not read the book here is a summary (from Google Books because it's late and I wanted to be able to at least give some idea of what the book is about with out giving too much away).

"Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...

In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles (Stone Hedge). Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war andraiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny in soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch.She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives."

I hope at least one person will become intrigued and read the book!! :)

All it takes is the first book to get you hooked! What I love about the story is ...everything.Time travel to Scotland and meeting James Fraser is a plus,you never get bored really.How many pages is the series up to now? 4,000?lol She's touring again in September,hope she comes this way again so I can get another book autographed by her.:D

Have you read the Lord John books?

I have not read the Lord John books but I was interested in maybe picking one of those up. What did you think of them?

I love Jamie and Claire. I read Twilight and was completely in love with Edward and then I read Outlander and I didn't take a second look at Edward lol. Since reading the series I started reading Twilight again and I don't get the same feeling as I did before when I read it. It doesn't have the same type of "feeling" as Outlander did even though it's romantic and exciting. My fiance's mom told me that she was never able to read a romance and feel the same after reading Outlander, did anyone else feel the same?

I have not read the Lord John books but I was interested in maybe picking one of those up. What did you think of them?

I love Jamie and Claire. I read Twilight and was completely in love with Edward and then I read Outlander and I didn't take a second look at Edward lol. Since reading the series I started reading Twilight again and I don't get the same feeling as I did before when I read it. It doesn't have the same type of "feeling" as Outlander did even though it's romantic and exciting. My fiance's mom told me that she was never able to read a romance and feel the same after reading Outlander, did anyone else feel the same?
It probably isn't fair for me to comment, as I only read the first one. I do have to say, however, that it lacked oomph for my money. Well, it lacked Jamie and Claire. :) Seriously, I think, for me at least, it lacked any character that I could really latch onto and enjoy.

I rarely read any sort of romance novels, and I don't think that series truly qualifies a "romance novel". It has everything, adventure, time travel [a particular favorite of mine!], and just plain pathos alongside true fun. Heck of a combination.

Big difference between Edward and Jamie,can't compare really in my opinion.There is so much involved,the Scottish Clans,time travel,the relationship between the English and The Scottish and ofcourse Jamie,Claire just got on my nerves.Not really a romance in my opinion.
As for the Lord John books,I didn't enjoy the first one either but the other two yes.

I am sure most people that have read her Outlander Series know that
Lord John is a closeted homosexual,and the Lord John books are encircled around this subject,although there is more.Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade is my favorite but it's not for everybody.
.:D

I loved the first book, and the second was good as well. I couldn't make it through Voyager as I thought Diana Gabaldon ruined Jamie's character. I might go back and finish it one day, but it was so upsetting. I think I get a little too attached to characters sometimes. But I just love Jamie so much!

Yes, good series but (in my opinion) far too long! I think somewhere along the way it turned into a money grab (8 books and like 4 companion novels! Come on!). I loved the first 4 then the first half of the fifth one really lagged and then again the first or second half of the seventh was again like pulling teeth. I feel she should have tried to finish it in 6 books max. That being said it really was the kind of book that I couldn't wait to get home and read when I was into it.
I have to say though...regarding the first one...what was with the whole séance? That made me so mad! She ruins Jamie body and soul be completely over doing his torture so I figured now what, Jamie's basically dead, he'll never be the same... then presto! Smoke and a bowl of water and fumbling around a room and all of a sudden he's alright! What a cop out! She cheated on that one! She should have went back and changed the part where he was grotesquely violated instead of creating some stupid, easy out. Sorry, I get a little passionate when I start thinking about it! Lol! Did you find that though?

The February BOTM discussion thread is open, you obviously have plenty to say on the book so it's a bit of a waste posting here at the moment.

Back