• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dictionary ?

Worm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anybody else use 'Dictionary' while reading? Like Me ? :eek:

Hardly ever really. I can usually work out the meaning of an unfamiliar word through the context. The one time I did look up a word, it wasn't in my dictionary! :rolleyes:

I try to keep one fairly handy when I'm reading in the house. We have a couple upstairs and a couple downstairs. But it seems like half of the time, I can't be bothered to get out of my chair to go get it from the bookshelf. So I try to remember the word and end up forgetting it by the time I'm done reading. Though if I'm reading in bed, I do have one next to me that I use more often.

When I'm reading near the computer, there's always www.m-w.com

When I was younger I had a dictionary and was for ever stopping to look up new words :) That was great because now I have a pretty good vocabulary. I have read quite a bit of philosophy also so that has expanded it quite a bit. However, unlike some people I realise that using big words doesn't mean you are clever and nobody likes a show off :p

I sometimes have to look words up still. If I come across I word that I don't know then I will normally go to the dictionary and look it up! I normally use this online dictionary

I also subscribe to "word a day" which emails you one word every day with it's meaning and entomology. It's very interesting and can help you expand your vocabulary! If you want to subscribe to "word a day" then you can click here

Where is K.S.A.?

Kingdom of Southern Antigua?
Kansas?
Kmart Seduction Arsenal?
Kosrae International Airport? (Micronesia)
Kitchen in Saudi Arabia?

I usually don't come across to many words I don't know, but House of Leaves was packed full. I had the dictionary handy for the entire way thru, which was annoying since then the book wasn't very portable if I had to carry a dictionary, too.

Occasionally I'll stop by dictionary.com if something comes up that I really don't know, although like Halo I can usually work it out from the context.

I do make good use of the internet though, if I'm reading something and I come across a "term" that I'm unfamiliar with, rather than a word. A good example: when I was trying to get through "Portnoy's Complaint" - I have little to no knowledge of the Jewish culture so several references to things which seemed important to the story were completely lost on me. Looking things up helped me to understand the context a little better.

Are most of you native English speakers?

I'm kinda new here, so let me introduce myself...
I'm Ron, from Israel... I haven't been reading all my life - only 8 books total, but all in a very short time... I kinda got hooked on them...
I'm not that sure what my favorite genre is...

Some of you mentioned you use dictionaries on a regular basis... Sometimes, when I'm reading and come across a new word, I think maybe I don't know the word because I'm not an English native speaker... Well... are you native speakers? Do you often look words up?

To answer your question, I do look words up in the dictionary... I'm looking to enrich my vocabulary, so I don't let it slip and look each one I see, 'cause I don't want to forget them...

Books I've read: http://users.tapuz.co.il/yr/temp/MyBookReview.html

I can usually figure out what a word emans using the context. My only problem was (not anymore) that I pronounced words incorrectly because I read these words but never heard them vocalised!

Geenh said:
I can usually figure out what a word emans using the context. My only problem was (not anymore) that I pronounced words incorrectly because I read these words but never heard them vocalised!

I guess that's how it's a problem no-more: http://www.answers.com/ (You can hear the word pronounced...)

Cool! Thanks! I don't really have taht problem anymore as I think I've verbalised them all and in the process, embarassed the hell out of myself!

Cool link.

Hah, my world-beating tip for book lovers everywhere! :) Use Wordweb, a dictionary program that sits on your desktop and is readily available for consultation everytime you come across a word you don't know. Or for suggestions on alternate words because it's also a thesaurus! And it's also free.

If you want to get to the dictionary offline, then print every entry in the program! With just 200,000 words, it'll still be cheaper than if you go out and buy an *actual* dictionary.

Probably.

:)

ds

ds, thanks for the link.

I've already downloaded it. Love the thesaurus function.

Never use a dictionary, unless instructed to do so during a silent reading period in Advanced English Composition and Literature Year 9 (which is last year). No more silent reading period this year anyway! :)

I look up words when I'm unsure of what it means. I always have an electronic dictionary & Thesaurus handy. It's not much bigger then a PDA so I can take it with me when I leave the house.

Back